Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Fine-Gauge Machines
 Innovations Knitting Machine

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bookratt Posted - 12/10/2006 : 5:41:05 PM
which is a larger sized circular knitter that is hand-cranked, can be found at Jo Ann. I just got one tonite, for $30 using with a 50% off coupon from the Sunday paper.

It has 44 needles and can do flat or circular stitch and has patterns for a belted cardigan sweater, a hat, a scarf, a shawl, a cowl neck sweater and a felted bag inside.

Just opened it and will give it a go tonight. It appears to be plastic or mostly plastic and is very similar in appearance to the one found at Mary Maxim called the Adult Knitter. It is larger than the Addi Epress in size/number of needles and uses thin to medium weight yarns--yarns labeled bulky or chunky may not work with this machine.

It says on the side of the box it makes adult-sized fashions, is for persons 14+ years of age and that the machine knits 20 times faster than by hand with needles; the fashions shown on the box are made from Patons and Bernat yarns.

I plan to use it to maske chemo caps and adult scarves to donate and needed somethng quick and easy to learn. This looks liek it will work just fine for what want and unlike my sweater machine or the smaller Singer knitter, makes bigger sizes without having to seam anything and requires very little workspace.

If anyone else has one of these Innovations Knitting Machines or has patterns and tips for this machine, please post them here or provide web addy/site where I can get them.

Thanks and I will post here what I find out about this little machine once I get to use it tonite.

"I cannot live my life without books"---Thomas Jefferson
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
NastiJ Posted - 09/19/2011 : 12:35:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by hastashwad

I found an Innovations Circular Knittin machine at a hardware store for $7.00. The box was trashed so price reduced. ALSO, the pattern instructions are missing. Went online and watched videos...very helpful. Would like to know how or where to get my hands on the patterns for the machine...have lots of yarn to use up and like the idea of fast knitting. Thanks.

there is a Yahoo group that has lots of patterns and instructional material for the Innovations:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/innovationsknitting/

The "files" section includes a pdf of the instructions that were packed with it when it was new.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
hastashwad Posted - 09/19/2011 : 11:28:31 AM
I found an Innovations Circular Knittin machine at a hardware store for $7.00. The box was trashed so price reduced. ALSO, the pattern instructions are missing. Went online and watched videos...very helpful. Would like to know how or where to get my hands on the patterns for the machine...have lots of yarn to use up and like the idea of fast knitting. Thanks.
winksknits Posted - 07/28/2009 : 09:45:28 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has a sock pattern that will work on the innovations. I saw a video on youtube of a sock being made on an antique machine and would like to make a christmas stocking on the innovations. I have knited dozens of socks using two circular needles by hand and am going to give it a try and see what happens, but if someone already has a pattern or has tried this, I would love to chat with you.
notanotherufo83 Posted - 08/06/2008 : 11:58:09 AM
how is your Singer? I just got one (brand new) and it broke after just a few uses. I'm having trouble decided on if I want to exchange it for a new one or look into another brand. I am thinking I should try it out again but I am also thinking I should try something else. I keep hearing about the Innovations and Addi working really well, I see you have the inovations. Is it one you would reccomend?
auntjeanie Posted - 01/08/2008 : 10:09:32 AM
I have 3 round knitting machines, the innovations large one, a small singer, and then an unknown brand that is small. On the unnamed brand, it said to skip every other stitch when first casting on. I found by doing this, that first row did now unravel. I had lot of trouble at first with the innovations machine dropping stitches. I was getting ready to push it off the table in a fit of pique, when something told me to try and crank the handle counter-clockwise. Low and behold, no more dropped stitches. For some reason, the hooks catch the yarn better this way. I hope this helps. Aunt Jeanie
brikeney Posted - 10/25/2007 : 6:41:26 PM
Hi,
I just thought I would share some info. My friend Toni created a yahoo group for the innovations knitting machine. She has made a video tutorial for cast on directions. Great help. That is how I learned.. Now to make fun stuff. Here is the group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/innovationsknitting/

Lana
marvma Posted - 09/23/2007 : 4:57:13 PM
Hey every-knitter-body: I really appreciate all the info you have shared here. I have finally figured out how to "start" the knitter properly. The tip about gently pulling on the fabric as it knits is a goody to remember. I have so many less hangups now. I did find out that knitting goes much smoother if the yarn is pulled from the skein before knitting, in other words, no drag on the yarn. I just whipped out 3 hats in 2 hours. Also: my own little "pattern": Knit a tube 20 inches long, pull both ends tight, now, instead of pushing one end into the other as for a double layer hat, stitch the ends together forming a ring or circle.
Sew on a brooch or a very pretty button, and whalla you have a hat band for a women. Fun, fun, fun.....Marvma
GinaLemonLass Posted - 09/07/2007 : 11:59:31 AM
Well, I still can't figure out how to bind the bottom and top of an item properly. I paid $82.00 for this Innovations Knitting Machine at Mary Maxim's in Toronto. Now I feel like a heal for spending money on something I can't use. The knitted piece works up fine. I've been using 4 ply worsted weight Red Heart Yarn. I just need help preventing the final product from unravelling! Is there anyone who lives in Mississauga, Ontario who can help me physically? If you have the time, I'd appreciate it immensely. We could meet at the Mississauga Central Library. For your time, I would like to buy you lunch at their cafe! If you can help me out, please email me at ginafiorini63@hotmail.com or ginafiorini63@yahoo.ca. Thanks for your time ladies (and gents).
Sincerely,
Virginia

Lemon Lass
sgoldfried Posted - 09/07/2007 : 06:15:23 AM
every few round you must give the material tug
that keep it from catching
for a long scarf this machine is great
remember turn evenly and dont speed
you cant knit faster then the machine
sylvia
CoyoteMichelle Posted - 09/06/2007 : 10:53:15 PM
Hi everyone, I bought this machine last February and made one scarf with it. I did have some problems with dropped stitches, but if I went slow I could (mostly) stop this from happening. I really didn't use it again until now. What I really had a problem with then, and am also having a problem with now, is that the stitches are often getting caught into what I think is the row below, and then pulling it up. It isn't exactly a hole, but it ruins how uniform the piece looks. I can't figure out how to get it to not do this. Has anyone else had this problem?

As far as guage goes, I think the needle size is about a US 7. The size of the piece is only changeble by what yarn is used, and you can only do 44 stitch circular knitting. I wouldn't suggest buying this machine; it is not very precise and I don't think you can vary the knitted fabric enough to make it worth the cost. I think hand knitting is a much better option, but since I have the machine now, I figured I could make some quick Chirstmas gifts. If I can't get this lifted stitch problem worked out, I think I would rather hand knit them even if each one takes me a week rather than and evening.
susile Posted - 08/29/2007 : 11:49:09 AM
Can someone who has this knitting machine let me know what the gauge per inch is of the finished product? Can the gauge per inch be changed, or is it fixed? Also, someone said it only has 44 needles, so if it knits up to a diameter of 13" (approx 40" circumference), the guage must be a pretty huge. Can you knit a tube not using all 44 needles, or can you knit a really narrow tube? I'm thinking of getting one of these machines with a specific project in mind, but only if I can knit at a specific gauge/circumference.

Susan
Gina63 Posted - 08/12/2007 : 10:38:16 PM
I also bought an Innovations Knitting Machine - from Mary Maxim in Toronto. I tried making a hat. I use ordinary 4 ply acrylic blends from Red Heart. Works great. However, you do have to be careful of dropped stitches. I have'nt a clue how to fix them, even looking over the suggestions in the instructions sheet. Do you keep going from the start of the slipped stitch all the way to the top of the item, still attached to the hook of the machine? I'm also having extreme difficulty figuring out how to bind the bottom of the piece properly or the top. How do I get it to stop unravelling around the piece? I wish I could get together with someone who actually has success with this machinary, to help me figure a few things out.

Gina Fiorini
Merrilee Posted - 07/27/2007 : 04:44:03 AM
Hi,
I got one of these today for my birthday. For the life of me I can't get it to work properly so now hubby's having a go!

Our problem is with the casting on. Can anyone send me an email and advise exactly how to do it properly? I don't understand the " passing it front and back until a full rotation has been completed"

Because I don't understand what this means the stitch isn't locking together and merely unraveling.

Thanks!

Lee
dancingbarefoot Posted - 06/21/2007 : 7:08:09 PM
It's not a fine-gauge machine, is it? I thought it was mid-gauge or bulky.
potomackmd Posted - 03/10/2007 : 6:39:32 PM
thank you....also, I had read the directions wrong and wasn't skipping every other needle on threading.
kdcrowley Posted - 03/10/2007 : 11:59:55 AM
potomack, you need to go back and bind off the starting row as well....

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
potomackmd Posted - 03/09/2007 : 5:35:35 PM
I think I must be dumb....I just received mine....it knits fine, I guess I'm lucky...only one or two dropped stitches, but i must be threading it incorrectly, because the first row is not secure and unravels just like the last row would if you didn't bind it off correctly,,, Any ideas what I'm missing?????
auntjeanie Posted - 01/23/2007 : 07:07:34 AM
I bought the innovations circular machine at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. I started using it last night and made a cowl with it. it came at very nice but you do have to pay attention so that you don't drop stitches. i also have 2 smaller ones that are listed as toys. One says it is for ages 3 and up. i don't know of any 3 year who can read and follow directions. However, the smaller ones are great for making socks. Hobby Lobby sells the singer brand in the children's craft aisle for 20 dollars. I sed a coupon for that one too. These machines are great for making scarves and it has been fun experimenting with different types of yarn. they all work great with the fun fur. The varigated yarns work up with an interesting striping affect.
mmartin5970 Posted - 01/22/2007 : 11:59:42 PM
Can this machine (the Innovative) really knit socks? It looks too big to me, but the descriptions say it knits socks. Anyone know?

Thanks
Michelle
netta12208 Posted - 01/01/2007 : 10:37:51 PM
done with needles going to buy one now. at least for a while anyway. wondering where to get patterns

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe