Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Cascade 220

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Felted-Bag Posted - 08/26/2007 : 8:02:13 PM
This yarn is getting pushed to the back of my yarn stash more and more because I always have problems felting it. Is it because:
1) I'm using a front loader or
2) the yarn?
I don't have problems with other yarns in my front loader. But with Cascade 220 getting rid of the stitch definition is a bear. And I've tried all the tricks (dipping it in boiling hot water and cold in advance of putting it in the machine, etc.) And I avoid their light colors, 'cause those just don't felt for me.
Any suggestions? The price point for the yarn makes it an attractive felting yarn.

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipes.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/felted-bags/
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
socker Posted - 07/30/2009 : 1:25:44 PM
I've been knitting up samples with cascade 220 also. I noticed the cordory effect also with the garter stitch. In my case that wasn't a problem 'cause it created a neat effect where I used it. My next try will include a section of 'heel' stitch, to see if that firms it up a little.
Ceil Posted - 07/30/2009 : 09:29:17 AM
I'm back one more time. Just felted 220: 2 strands together, on US size 15; gauge 11 sts/4 in. I've found in general that I have to increase one needle size to get the gauge on just about any yarn label, so I also increase a needle size for felted patterns, which seems to be working out very well.

Here is what happened:

1. It looks great, no stitch def, but took over an hour of wash time. Exhausting!

2. Let me tweak stitch def: Stockinette stitch melted away, but garter stitch looks a little like corduroy! An interesting effect, although I wonder why that happened. I've never gotten that with other, single-stranded felt knitting.

3. My project was the Somersaulting Trifold Moebius Bowl in Cat B's "2nd Treasury". She stated the same gauge for this and another yarn (>9< sts/4 in.!), and I was going to have to move to size 17 to get that, if I could! However, other projects in the same book state >12< sts/4 in., and some of those are 1 or 2 strands!!! I therefore decided to shoot from the hip and do what I did above.

4. About size 17: Modular circs tend to come apart in Moebius knitting, due to all the twisting (I've made 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 half twists in rims). I would have to cast on to a Denise and then K the first round onto the appropriate length of circ to feel really safe.

5. It's a nice, thick fabric, but the bowl lost some sturdiness when fully dry. For comparison, I'm currently backing down to size 13 needles and 1 strand of 220, making the same bowl to see what happens. I've been making a lot of felted samples just to see what happens to the same yarn knitted with different size needles. It's a journey I'd rather not take(!), but very instructive.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Ceil Posted - 07/17/2009 : 12:44:12 PM
Hey everyone, what kind of pre-wash sts/in. are you all talking about? It seems to me the "learning experiences" show stitch def because the yarn needs bigger needles. Gauge will tell all!

I'm about to buy some 220 and try it out (it's on sale in Denver this afternoon!). I've just done three Lamb's Pride tests and while they all look fine, one of them, using 2 strands of worsted, came out esp. great. For that one, here's the hitch: I made felted clogs with this yarn on size 15s that I couldn't shrink enough and were way too big for my feet. (The teacher said to make the large size. Hmmmm, some yarn/gauge guidance would have helped). I eventually donated them to a homeless shelter. Size 17, felted just now, made all the difference. However, the >pattern< said size 13 needles! So you can't simply accept the needle size given; it all depends on how the knitter knits, too. Anyway, I will try the clogs again, medium size w/ size 17 needles.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
rebeccalucile Posted - 06/02/2009 : 3:02:18 PM
Hello. I have hunted online and can't find color cards for Cascade yarnd. Does anyone know where I can purchase a book of all their yarns? Thanks.
anderknit Posted - 02/06/2009 : 11:53:34 PM
Interesting to read about the varying experiences. Me, I've given up felting Cascade 220, because no matter what I've done, I have not been able to get rid of the vertical lines and some stitch definition. I have no such problems with Patons Classic Merino, however - quick and complete felting. My next project (dumpling bag) is going to be done with Webs' Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky, which feels a lot like Lamb's Pride, even though the compostion is different.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
missemily Posted - 02/06/2009 : 7:25:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by go get your smock

I'm with you on this one, F-B. I even own the complete color card set, and it is delicious to peruse but I almost never use it at all anymore.

Where did you get the color card set? I love cascade and would like to know what the colors really look like before I order them!

-emily
schrafinator Posted - 01/29/2008 : 9:00:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BeanerMom

I used Cascade 220 for a pair of the Fiber Trends felted clogs and had great results. I have a regular top-loader, used hot water, added a dash of detergent and two pairs of blue jeans. The stitch definition was long lost before I could get them felted down to fit my small feet.

Me too, except I only used one pair of jeans, and I only had to get them to a size 7!

2totangle Posted - 01/29/2008 : 09:47:18 AM
I've never had a problem with Cascade 220 felting, and I prefer no stitch definition. In fact, it's my default felting yarn, since I don't always want the fuzzy look you get with yarns containing mohair, like Lamb's Pride. It could be your water content, your machine, etc., but if it's not working for you, there are other inexpensive felting yarns out there (e.g., KnitPicks, Valley Yarns, etc.). Guess it's further proof that felting is not an exact science. [**]

Suzanne

A few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
CharRube Posted - 01/28/2008 : 10:19:39 PM
Cascade is generally recommended for felting! Maybe the pink was treated like a white or cream and then dyed! I'll bet your yarn shop or the company could tell you why it didn't felt well. All the Cascade 220 I have used for felting (and that has been a great amount) has always felted very well. CharRube
MindyO Posted - 01/27/2008 : 3:46:17 PM
Well she used a darker pink and a lighter pink, but it wasn't terribly light. I had known about the light colors possibly not felting as well, so the lighter didn't surprise me, but the darker pink I thought should have felted really well. I think she has addes D loops and a longt stripey ribbon and used it briefly, but not sure she still does. She made a couple malabrigo purses and loves those.
Felted-Bag Posted - 01/27/2008 : 2:31:14 PM
MindyO -- was the C220 a light color? That really drives me crazy. If the bag finally felted but she doesn't like, she could always cut it up into coasters. I try to think of my "bags that bomb" as fabric and imagine what I could do with the fabric.

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipes.com
MindyO Posted - 01/26/2008 : 10:45:06 PM
I will never use C220 for felting. My cousin bought some for her first felted bag and was so disappointed. After 5-7 cycles in the washer (top load, not front) boiling, scrubbing, rubbing and drying in the dryer you could still see stitches and it barely shrank. Finally I think on the 10th cycle with some shoes it finally shrunk but she never uses the bag.

I do like Patons classic because it gets really thick and tight, but I don't liek the fact that it shrinks by more than 50% in about 5 minutes. I've also used lite lopi and liked the results, loved the fuzz! I've been using my aunts homespun a lot too and I like that a lot.
Felted-Bag Posted - 01/26/2008 : 6:13:21 PM
WOW Marilyn -- thanks for the praise.

I have some Zitron's Loft in my stash, I'll have to try.

I went to Italy for five weeks on vacation (isn't retirement grand!) and knit hats (see my FLickr for a few) the whole time because they are small and easy to haul around. But I was inspired by all the fabulous handbags I saw, especially in Rome. So I've got to get back to designing. Marilyn, your praise is just the kick in the pants I needed!

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipes.com
mitchellslm Posted - 01/20/2008 : 12:10:52 AM
Another yarn you might consider trying is Zitron's "Loft". It works extremely well, including all the lighter colors
jwaid97 Posted - 09/11/2007 : 10:19:22 AM
I am new to felting had already bought this yarn before reading this post. I quickly did a test swatch and hand felted it in my sink. I took practically no time and I have no stitch definition. I haven't completed the project yet but now I am not hesitant to start. I was using a dark brown. I haven't felted much but the results seem fine to me.

Joanna
mertle Posted - 09/06/2007 : 01:18:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Felted-Bag

I will try a swatch on larger needles. But my gut says to use up the yarn for other stuff (which I never seem to finish because I'm really, seriously into felting right now.)
I'll say you are! And we're all very glad about it. Your work was an inspiration to me long before I came to KRF, and it continues to be. Thanks millions!

Marilyn
Check out my bags here.
CharRube Posted - 09/05/2007 : 11:03:59 PM
Every time I use Cascade 220 it turns out great! I've felted a ton of items and use a variety of yarns. I do like Lamb's Pride alot when I don't mind some fuzz. Cascade 220 has a very nice tight curl to the finish. CharRube
Adara Posted - 09/05/2007 : 04:34:42 AM
I've not had a huge problem with Cascade myself, but I do tend to prefer Lamb's pride, or at this point my favorite is Patons SWS for felting mmmm I just love how it turns out!

Happy Knitting!
*~Anne~*
http://www.yarnfamily.com
http://morefitterknitters.blogspot.com/
Felted-Bag Posted - 08/27/2007 : 10:28:05 AM
I will try a swatch on larger needles. But my gut says to use up the yarn for other stuff (which I never seem to finish because I'm really, seriously into felting right now.)

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipes.com
AngieSue Posted - 08/27/2007 : 08:22:41 AM
I used Cascade 220 for a pair of the Fiber Trends felted clogs and had great results. I have a regular top-loader, used hot water, added a dash of detergent and two pairs of blue jeans. The stitch definition was long lost before I could get them felted down to fit my small feet. You could also try Patons Classic Merino or check out the sale items offered by Jimmy Bean's and WEBS.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe