Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Sizing help please!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
aimlessw Posted - 11/25/2009 : 8:48:31 PM
I am knitting a cardigan for my first grand nephew. I'm making up my own pattern but am stumped by what the finished measurements should be for an 18-24 month size. I have looked at many commercial patterns and measured clothing in the children's department. The chest measurements of sweaters that are similar to each other and marked with the same size range from 20 inches to 26 inches and in length from 11 inches to 17(???) inches.

I have nearly completed the back which is 13 inches across and 12 inches long (so far). It looks like it would fit a six year old. Normally, I'd figure he would just grow into it eventually. Unfortunately, the pattern is very babyish so it wouldn't be appropriate on a bigger boy.

I followed a link that someone posted in a different thread, but the measurements it gave were WAY at the small end of the continuum. Does anyone have a definitive source for children's sweaters?

Thanks,
Amy
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
aimlessw Posted - 11/26/2009 : 8:22:07 PM
Thanks so much Fran. I usually make up my own patterns but always get the proportions wrong for babies. It is a running joke around here that I make beautiful sweaters, but with gorilla arms. This chart is a big help.
fmarrs Posted - 11/26/2009 : 5:18:38 PM
Here is another hint. When knitting for children, lower the armhole by 1/2 inch and lengthen by 2 inches. You will get another whole year of wear from the garment.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
eldergirl Posted - 11/26/2009 : 2:07:03 PM
Flicka, I have a bit of "thumbnail" advice on sizing for kids, and that is that they don't grow a whole lot sideways as they age, but do grow lengthwise.

FWIW.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anna

Think globally, act locally
flicka Posted - 11/26/2009 : 12:56:00 PM
Thanks, Fran! What a wonderful resource! Oh, and the website, too.

flicka
fmarrs Posted - 11/26/2009 : 06:00:31 AM
BOOKMARK THIS PAGE!!!

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/sizing.html

These are the standardized sizing charts for almost everything in knitting. They include the measurements that you need to measure the flat pieces of knitting like armhole depth and width across shoulders. The infant category goes up to 24 months. Note: the difference in size between a 24 month and a size 2 is length. Also note that sometimes the difference in infant's sizes is very small. I find the most important measurement is armhole depth.

There will come a day when you will need the women's, teen's, or men's categories so bookmark it. It is the most helpful chart I have ever found.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe