Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 why is my mitten not stretchy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
amietennant Posted - 05/20/2008 : 08:34:56 AM
Hello friends,
I bought some mittens at the store and they fit so nice because they are stretchy. when I crochet mine at home, they are not stretchy and hard to pull over the kids hands. Is it the yarn I am using, the pattern I am using, the stitch is too tight or all of the above? Are there some yarns that are more "stretchy" than others??

Hoping to hear from you soon!
mk_amie@hotmail.com

Sincerely,
Amie Tennant
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fiddlerbird555 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 2:00:13 PM
With a couple more pair to my experience, I'd say that fit is more critical on a crocheted mitten than a knitted one. You don't want to make the wrist too narrow -- probably you don't really want any negative ease at the wrist. They're still not "stretchy" but they're no harder to get on than a solid bracelet.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
zknit08 Posted - 10/02/2009 : 05:06:38 AM
I have not tried to crochet mittens or socks but I know that by catching only either the front loop or back loop of a crochet stitch instead of both front and back loop (or around/over a stitch,will make the crocheted fabric more flexible and stretchy.

Happy Crocheting,

Zknit
fiddlerbird555 Posted - 03/12/2009 : 1:00:46 PM
FWIW, I'm working on a set of crocheted mittens. Having knitted several pair, I wanted something a bit denser to keep out the wind when I ski. My daughter has already beta-tested one of them, and says that they are more suitable for windy weather than the knit.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Bethany Posted - 05/20/2008 : 11:43:47 AM
I agree with Mindy0. Your storebought mittens are knit, and crochet is just intriniscally less stretchy than knitting.

This is an advantage for some items (like bags) and a disadvantage for others (like socks -- I have some lovely socks a friend crocheted for me, but they had to made much more individually to my foot measurements than knit socks because they stretch so much less).

MindyO Posted - 05/20/2008 : 11:13:19 AM
I once crocheted some mittens using either a G or H hook, Caron Simply Soft (worsted) and single crochet stitch. I just made them up as I went, no pattern, but now that I knwo how to knit I've noticed a HUGE difference in knit and crochet mittens. Mine didn't stretch much at all, they pretty much had to be sized to fit exactly. The only part that did stretch was the mock rib cuff. With knit mittens (which I think most store bought usually are knit, sometimes with a little elastic) there is more play in the stitches. The fiber has more chance to move and flex. If you looke really closely at knit and crochet you can see the difference, knit is basically a continuous strand of little loops all interlocked with each other but pull one strand and you can pull the whole row. Crochet is more of a little mini knot, try pulling a strand of the crochet and you'll see that each individual stitch is it's own little yarn wad that's kind of locked into place and not as free to move like a knit fabric.

I don't know if that makes any sense at all, but it's the only explanation I really have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeeks76/
NastiJ Posted - 05/20/2008 : 08:41:59 AM
since you don't tell us what yarn and/or pattern you are using, it's a little difficult to answer your question. yes, there are many yarns that are more stretchy than others; larger hooks and/or patterns using longer stitches (half-double, double, triple crochet, faux rib) can increase the ease in the finished product.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe