Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Report from Winter TNNA

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 01/13/2010 : 10:27:57 PM
Hey all!

I'm back from Long Beach. Besides playing skee-ball with Cat Bordhi, eating sushi with Eunny Jang, tandoori with Veronik Avery and Jared Flood, bacon with Norah Gaughan and Cirilia Rose, and flaming Greek cheese with Kate Gilbert, I actually did spend a lot of time on the show floor taking notes, talking with people, and trying to get a cohesive sense of what's coming down the pike. You'll find the Knitter's Review report here.

Were you there? If so, I'd love to know your thoughts. Were you not there? I'd love to know your thoughts too. And are you a fan of flaming Greek cheese? We want to hear from you too!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpknits Posted - 01/16/2010 : 5:25:56 PM
Clara, Thank you. I've done some bicycling/hiking in fairly cold temperatures and prefer wool to the high tech wicking fibers. No matter how much I perspire/sweat, I'm always warm in wool, not true of the other.

Carol, Wisconsin
knittingbuzz Posted - 01/16/2010 : 4:03:19 PM
I was there and sadly waited to long to schedule classes only to find your class all booked up .... boo hoo.

Found many new yarns to add to the assortment. Some favs were from Tilli Tomas (gorgeous new beaded & glittery mohair),
Abstract Fiber ( incredible hand dyed sock yarns & fiber for spinning), Punta Yarns beautiful hand dyes, Malabrigo
Rasta (oolala), a resurgence of tape yarns, the new space age material dpns and more.

Can't wait to recieve all the yumminess.

The best part was staying on the Queen Mary....so fun.

Oh...forgot to mention the new circular case from Namaste.

Cheers,
Krista
valleruata Posted - 01/14/2010 : 12:14:04 PM
Clara, thank you so much for the wonderful mention:) I really enjoyed chatting with you at TNNA.
Deb Accuardi
Clara Posted - 01/14/2010 : 10:50:06 AM
Ana, I'm sorry I missed you! Carol, as to your question about the warmth of wool vs. non-wool afghans, I suspect wool will remain warm in a more complex way than synthetics. Synthetics are warm, but they lack the moisture management/breathing qualities of wool. So they may trap still air and provide insulation in that way, but if you get a little warm and your skin releases a teensy bit of perspiration (or simply humidity in the air settles on the fibers), the fabric may start to feel a bit clammy.

Nancy, Kozmos is absolutely 100% brand spanking new, so I suspect it'll be a few weeks before Gina finishes dyeing and shipping the TNNA orders.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
NastiJ Posted - 01/14/2010 : 09:36:31 AM
When's the "Kozmos" supposed to be available? I've just scoured Alchemy's site - to no avail - in search of it.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
cpknits Posted - 01/14/2010 : 09:19:12 AM
Great review, I'm also jealous of all you were able to see. Now that I no longer live in a large metropolitan area, visits to LYS's are few and far between. I get my non-tactile fix through the internet. I found the company information interesting as well as the afghan book. The only afghan I've ever made was the Girasole for a gift (in the process of knitting one for myself). I'm definitely going to have a look at this book. I do have a possibly silly question about non-wool vs wool afghans though. While I appreciate the need to support the yarn companies efforts to produce pattern/materials that go together, are non-wool afghans as warm as wool ones?

Carol, Wisconsin
~bananaKnits~ Posted - 01/14/2010 : 08:23:46 AM
I was there, and had a lot of fun seeing all the yarn, books & tools. I was totally exhausted by the end all that walking and yes there are some great eateries around the Long Beach Convention Center. Thanks for the review Clara I wish I could have had all the information before so I could have checked out the things you talked about. There is so much to learn so little time.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.com/
If you come and visit my blog please leave me a comment, I love comments.
LJ Posted - 01/14/2010 : 08:20:11 AM
I read that as "flaming Greek cash". I need to put my glasses on.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of items you wrote about. The afghan book by Berroco sounds interesting.

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns: http://www.eweknitkits.com
carolbeech Posted - 01/14/2010 : 07:54:36 AM
Are trying to make us more jealous than usual? It sounds like such a good time, and I am looking forward to seeing some of those new yarns (someday, when I visit a bigger city)

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe