Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 Fiber Trends Felted slipper clogs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Consuelo Posted - 12/29/2009 : 10:36:28 PM
A group of us are thinking of starting a KAL for these slippers. Are you interested? It's a fun project and relatively quick! And they are amazingly comfortable. Once you get a pair of these, you'll never again buy slippers!

WARNING: this pattern is addictive, proceed with caution!!

If you are not familiar the pattern, here's a link:
http://fibertrends.com/product/149443/AC33/_/AC33_Felt_Clogs__%28new_version%29

It can be downloaded right from the website.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lacylaine Posted - 01/23/2010 : 8:23:31 PM
They turned out great! I was really proud of myself and my kids love their new slippers! I might even make these again sometime.

Thanks for asking, Consuelo.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts! 2010: two pair felted clogs

Consuelo Posted - 01/17/2010 : 6:24:27 PM
Hi, Lacylaine. Sorry I had not responded to your post. Somehow it did not show up as a new post, the little purple indicator wasn't there.

In any case, how did the felting go this weekend? I'm sure it was fine, it's really hard to mess these up! You had it right: the fibers should be loose enough to felt when agitated. You can hardly make them too tight if you used a size 13. The designer thought about that and made it easy for us!

Let me know how they look!

Consuelo
"Perfect is the enemy of good"
lacylaine Posted - 01/14/2010 : 9:15:32 PM
The timing might be a bit off. I just finished my second pair right after Christmas and plan to felt at least one pair this weekend. If my daughter can come and visit, I'll felt hers as well.

I have to admit, I'm pretty nervous about this felting business. I hope I knit loosely enough for the fibers to have room to agitate and then felt. Did I put that right?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts!

Consuelo Posted - 01/02/2010 : 4:02:51 PM
I'm sad to say that there was no interest in a KAL for this wonderful pattern. The subject is hereby closed but I'm willing to re-open anytime there is interest.

Consuelo
KathyR Posted - 01/01/2010 : 3:23:13 PM
Thanks for that, Consuelo. I'll let you know how I get along when I finally get the second of my DS's clogs finished and them both in the machine and felted. Shouldn't be too long once they all go home and leave me in peace!

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Consuelo Posted - 12/30/2009 : 10:26:00 PM
KathyR, you did the right thing knitting your DIL's slippers extra wide. When you felt them you can stretch them and you should still have enough width. By stretching I mean this: grab the toe with one hand and the heel with the other and pull a medium amount. Measure and repeat if needed. Each size is about 1/4" so you don't have to tug too much.

A woman's size 12 should be 11 1/4" and a man's 7 should be 9 1/2". This is the measurement of the INSIDE of the slipper.

Have fun.

Consuelo
KathyR Posted - 12/30/2009 : 4:03:02 PM
I made two pairs of French Press slippers for Christmas presents (yes, it is summer here but they were relatively quick and easy) and the recipients are very pleased with them. They took ages to felt, though, even though I have a top loader machine.

I also made a pair of FT clogs for my DIL and started a pair for my DS. When his are finished I'll throw them both in the machine and felt them together - in two separate pillowcases. I am a bit worried about the fit, though. My DIL's feet are large - size 12, while my DS's are small - men's size 7. I made his pair using the women's medium size and her's using the women's large but widening the foot a little. If they don't fit, they may fit the other DIL (whose slippers I haven't started, yet!) and I'll make another pair but use the men's size.

Like anderknit, I found the top a bit fiddly when the number of stitches started reducing. I went down to a 16" needle but the length of the tip (I'm using Knitpicks) made it a little difficult to manage. I wish Knitpicks (Knitpro for me) made the smaller length tip in the larger sizes as that could make all the difference.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
anderknit Posted - 12/30/2009 : 1:56:26 PM
I am just about to finish my first pair. Before I finished the first one I thought I wouldn't ever get to the second one, because I thought it was so fiddly. But when I finished, I realized how quickly it had gone. Now I've done the second one in a matter of days (and I only knit at night after dinner/kids/dog stuff is over), and I can see how people would just keep going and going.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
knitz2 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 07:00:01 AM
you're sure right about them being comfortable; I wore my first pair two winters before the soles wore out and am on my second pair this winter. have a pair started for my sister but set them aside to work on a couple other projects. need to get back to them so she won't have cold feet.

I think these are a much better choice for people in cold climates that the currently popular French Press ones cause these keep the top of the foot warm too.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe