Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Classic Elite Kumara

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 01/20/2010 : 7:18:42 PM
So as many of you already know, I'm a total sucker for down fibers. Usually it's cashmere, if I'm lucky it's bison, if I'm reeeeeeeeally lucky it's a yard or two of qiviut.

Which is why I've had my eye on Classic Elite Kumara since it came out last fall. It's a blend of 85% extra fine Merino and 15% baby camel.

After tempting you with all those not-yet-available yarns in last week's TNNA report, I thought it was a good idea to talk about a yarn that is available. And lo, Kumara tumbled off the shelf and onto my desk. Here's this week's review.

Enjoy!

(And yes, as I type this I still have the swatch tucked under my shirt. Just noticed the tail sticking out, in fact. )

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bethns Posted - 01/11/2011 : 4:00:01 PM
I wonder what a good substitute would be for this yarn?I would like to do the pattern called Daniel's Kumara Scarf?
Thanks
Beth
ikkivan Posted - 01/26/2010 : 08:55:23 AM
Since sweet potatoes are SO good for us, not to mention delicious, I'd never have a problem using yarn with that name, whether just the name or one of the actual fibers. It's the short length that would turn me off.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
Clara Posted - 01/21/2010 : 8:08:57 PM
Having just finished an entire sweater out of a luxurious Italian cashmere blend that came in SIXTY YARD SKEINS, I totally agree with GFTC. We like larger skeins. Fewer ends. More yarn to use. And did I mention fewer ends?

And bbsavchik, I must apologize profusely for the millimeter / meter goof. I think I was so mesmerized by all those i's and l's in "millionth" that I just wanted to keep adding them when I got to "meter." Thank you for pointing it out - I've corrected the review.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
cpknits Posted - 01/21/2010 : 5:57:20 PM
Clara,
Thanks for the review, greatly appreciate the feedback.

Sweet Potato. Makes you wonder what the marketing departments get paid for. Reminds me of the car named "Nova". DH says it means "go slow" in spanish, car did not sell well in Mexico.

GFTC,
I'm with you on yardage. I also avoid those small skeins, don't know what they are thinking when they put them up like this.

Carol, Wisconsin
Wen Posted - 01/21/2010 : 1:40:22 PM
Erikab I looked at the title and thought, corn, soy and now kumara? What will they make yarn out of next! I was surprised to see it wasn't kumara after all just a name for a wool/camel blend.

Strange to name an animal fibre after a vegetable.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
erikab Posted - 01/21/2010 : 1:32:38 PM
Classic Elite Kumara sounds like a lovely yarn, but to some of us living in Australasia, the name is a turn-off, because "kumara" means sweet potato.
GFTC Posted - 01/21/2010 : 10:03:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NutmegOwl
......put it up in balls of more than 100 yards. With very few exceptions, I just won't buy yarn in put-ups that are shorter.

I have made the same decision. When I see 87 yds or 77 yds I move right along to the next choice. I don't care how much I love the yarn I won't buy those miniskeins.

My reasons:
  • If you are knitting a sweater and only want to join new skeins at the sideseam you end up with even less yardage

• You can't knit a solid color blanket - too many ends to bury

• There is still no guarantee of "no knots" and you lose more yarn and create more ends (see above: joining new skein & burying ends)

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
NutmegOwl Posted - 01/21/2010 : 09:00:26 AM
I felt this in my LYS and it was rather heavenly. But I was waiting for a Clara review before giving it a test-drive. It should satisfy some of my current cowl addiction.

One note: I'm glad Classic Elite decided to put it up in balls of more than 100 yards. With very few exceptions, I just won't buy yarn in put-ups that are shorter.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
BlueStocking Posted - 01/21/2010 : 06:02:47 AM
The yarn sounds lovely, even if possibly a tad tricky to knit with. I could imagine this yarn as a wonderfully soft scarf.

But what I really want is the Oreck Sweater Shaver you linked to!

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

bbsavchik Posted - 01/21/2010 : 03:58:55 AM
Just a small correction. A micron is a millionth of a meter (not millimeter).
minh Posted - 01/20/2010 : 9:12:42 PM
Thanks for the review!

I picked up two skeins at a yarn store to knit weaverknits' Nouveau Sack Hat. I love the feel of the yarn but was concerned that it was cable-spun (I haven't had trouble with yarns like these in the past) so I'll be careful when knitting it up.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe