Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Do YOU do it in Public?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nubiwan Posted - 04/07/2008 : 3:24:20 PM
I want to - I really do. Somehow though, my midwestern upbringing has resurged as a hesitancy to be SEEN knitting.
There is a once-a-week lunchtime knitting group at work (IT Group), I have sat in with them but always keep my back to the door[:00] As a newbie, this is a good thing for me 'cause I see that even experienced knitters don't always produce the best looking stitches.
Anyway, I have a lot of travel coming up over the next half-year or so - it would be nice to take a project along. I could have done it last week but I wussed-out.

Is it just me?

"I am just going outside and may be some time."
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chiral Posted - 02/28/2010 : 04:35:59 AM
Here in Australia guys knitting in public is a good way to be bashed.

I have been threatened several times when people found out I knit (at home) so it's not something I want to do in public.

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
Portia1010 Posted - 02/26/2010 : 6:40:47 PM
I am a senior in high school and I KIP in my classes when I am done with my work. One day a really tough guy who I don't really talk to swaggered up to my desk and just stared at my stitching for a while, until he said "That stuff's hard. My mom spent a month trying to knit me socks. It's cool that you can do it." And then he walked away.
mrmusic Posted - 02/16/2010 : 7:47:54 PM
Have not always done it in public, but now I have graduated to doing it in knitter friendly groups in Knit Shops and at friends houses who don't mind at all since it may turn out to be a gift for them. One of these days I would like to just pull out the old needles and yarn as I have a Starbucks at the Mall or even in the Apple Store while I am waiting for a Genius Bar appointment. Now that is going to take some real nerves (B....) if you get my drift.
Passapman Posted - 07/13/2009 : 4:26:25 PM
I am a man who knits and I knit in public. Once in a medical office lobby I was happily knitting away. A woman was so astonished she kept turning her head to keep watching me as she walked. She plowed straight into a column, twisted her neck, broke her glasses, and gave herself a shiner! I have often wondered what she told people about her injuries.

If I had not had my knitting during all those hours in critical care waiting rooms I would have gone barking mad. I also use that time to assemble machine knitted garments.
britisher Posted - 09/11/2008 : 4:04:59 PM
D'oh! Here's what I actually meant to write first time round...

quote:
Originally posted by jeanhal

I talk about how in WW1 and 2 ... knitting was used as a therapy-there are many articles about this, for the wounded men.

Yeah, I took up knitting to help take my mind off the chronic pain after getting injured during a mugging. It doesn't take the pain away, but it does get me so involved that I am less aware of it. Plus, I get something to wear at the end of it.

However, that doesn't make me feel comfortable about being a boy-who-knits-in-public. Maybe in about 1000 years, but not just yet.
britisher Posted - 09/11/2008 : 4:02:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jeanhal

I always talk about how men in my humble opinion are better knitters-knitting is a numbers game after all, and so many of us non-men are intimidated by math. After that I talk about how in WW1 and 2 (maybe before & after, but I KNOW those wars) knitting was used as a therapy-there are many articles about this, for the wounded men. And last I mention the taxi driver who took my aunt to work each evening and knit - he made beautiful, complicated sweaters one years for each of her b-i-l's- one being my father. Knit in Public- why not? Beats the cell phone yakkers.

knits_for_preemies Posted - 07/03/2008 : 01:36:38 AM
I fully agree with Suzanne...you only go around once in life, so most definitely, go for it.

I knit a lot in doctor's and hospital waiting rooms, but also when I'm having to wait on someone elsewhere. I do a lot of charity knitting and quite often someone inquires as to what I'm doing...the conversation quickly goes to the charity info.

I appreciate that one should be conscious of where to knit (and where not to knit). You don't want to be perceived as being rude. If I am in a situation where I should be giving someone my undivided attention, then I leave the knitting at home or set it aside for that portion of time. I'm retired now, but definitely you should use careful judgment in work-related situations.

Enjoy the knitting.

Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
jeanhal Posted - 06/18/2008 : 06:38:39 AM
I always talk about how men in my humble opinion are better knitters-knitting is a numbers game after all, and so many of us non-men are intimidated by math. After that I talk about how in WW1 and 2 (maybe before & after, but I KNOW those wars) knitting was used as a therapy-there are many articles about this, for the wounded men. And last I mention the taxi driver who took my aunt to work each evening and knit - he made beautiful, complicated sweaters one years for each of her b-i-l's- one being my father. Knit in Public- why not? Beats the cell phone yakkers.
creeko Posted - 06/14/2008 : 12:29:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nubiwan

A couple folks asked - "Oh you are a knitter?" - I replied "Yeah, I am pretty new at it" - while thinking "Here's your Sign!".

I had to reply to this because I get this question all the time! I think we should come up with some clever answers when people ask if we knit WHILE we are obviously knitting!
I often do have problems knitting in public. I am self taught and have a tendency to stick my tongue out while I concentrate so that itself was a bit embarassing but I still did it. Now I am more hooked on knitting than ever but somehow less courageous. I have been knitting for about two years and am now 24 years old and get some interesting looks. "How old are you?...and you knit?" "My great aunt used to do that" etc etc. I'm trying to get over it and knit with pride because I really do just love it so much!
donnawatk Posted - 05/20/2008 : 2:36:32 PM
Anytime I leave my house I have my knitting needles. I was at church waiting on my daughter when I notice a man watching me. It took about a half a hour when he can over and ask me if I knew how to do cables, He wanted to make his Mom a scarf. I showed how how and we have been knitting every Saturday at church. I don't thinks he cares who see him knit. Donna
Lanea Posted - 05/20/2008 : 12:00:33 PM
Congratulations on your fun vacation and knitting by feel--I felt so great when I mastered that.

See proof of insanity: http://www.crazylanea.com/
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Nubiwan Posted - 05/20/2008 : 11:25:57 AM
One more update - went on a short cruise (my first!) to the Caribbean last week which meant LOTS of time in airports for a guy from Seattle. Knitting was one of the sanity savers on the way back - but, I really missed my Addi turbos. Wooden needles, especially the ones from Knitpicks are nice but they just aren't as slick as good metal needles. However, I carried my knitting through 4 security checkpoints last week - no problems at all.
Plus - I am getting better. I can almost watch a movie and knit stockinette at the same time.
Clara Posted - 05/05/2008 : 11:45:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NubiwanYes, I am a guy. (BTW, I am a black man of boomer-age who is offended by the name of this sub-forum)

Hi there! I just wanted to jump in here and thank you for expressing your honest thoughts about the name for this section. I meant absolutely no offense or denigration when I chose that title - quite honestly it was solely an attempt to bring a little lighthearted levity to the section name.

Because of database issues I cannot rename the section now (until I find a SQL DBA who has sympathy for knitters - know any?) but please know I heard what you said and I apologize for any offense that name may have caused.

And finally, welcome to the forums! I am glad you found us.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
gryffin2007 Posted - 05/05/2008 : 10:57:16 AM
I will occasionally KIP, but I am mindful where I am at the time. For example, I don't think twice about knitting in the park, or at festivals, etc. But I certainly think twice (and don't KIP) when I'm at a hockey game or Nascar race.
Queen Knitsalot Posted - 05/03/2008 : 05:04:42 AM
I have gotten to that point in life's journey when a lot of my thinking runs along the lives of this. One only goes around once in life. Why waste time letting others have power over you? Don't give it to them. As long as what you do is not causing any one or anything harm, be it mental, physical, environmental, whatever; then do what you wish to.
Perhaps this is an oversimplification of life, but since I took this stance I have become much happier.

Suzanne

I'm not crazy.....I'm colourful. Sounds better on a resume.
gwtreece Posted - 05/02/2008 : 2:01:15 PM
Congrats on KIP. For me, it got easier to KIP the more I KIP. Airports are a great place to get some knitting done, what else is there to do.

Wanda
My Blog
Ravelry - gwtreece
Nubiwan Posted - 05/02/2008 : 10:46:20 AM
Update: One trip so far - almost no issues. Ran into a TSA guy who apparently hadn't seen circular needles before but, he did quickly figure what it was when they opened my bag. Knitting is cool while you're in the terminal - on a full plane it gets kinda tricky. A couple folks asked - "Oh you are a knitter?" - I replied "Yeah, I am pretty new at it" - while thinking "Here's your Sign!".
SR5Rfan Posted - 04/09/2008 : 8:27:26 PM
My sister told me about a male knitter on this forum who will KIP. When questioned, he just tells people that it is a "condition of his parole" and they don't give him a hard time. [:00] On the serious side, I can understand you being nervous about knitting in public, but I think that after you've tried it a couple times you'll get comfortable with it. Maybe sit in with a group at your LYS? Or on a business trip where you don't know anyone ... that way, you may not be as self-conscious. Of course, this is coming from a woman who feels weird knitting in public at times. Didn't mean to gab on so long. I'd say "go for it!"

Beth
http://sr5rfan.blogspot.com/ Not much knitting on it, but it's a start ...
"I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting harder and harder to find one"
Janbie Posted - 04/09/2008 : 5:30:31 PM
I pretty much "do it" anywhere I can. Two exceptions are church and in restaurants. Although the latter I sometimes want to try, especially when I heard about Knitpick's Kelley Petkun talking about going out to dinner and knitting. My own husband thinks a bit rude, but he's probably surprised that I haven't done it by now.

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
------------------------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller
OB1Gnomie Posted - 04/09/2008 : 12:00:27 PM
I have knit or crocheted in public since my teen years, and I find the older I get the fewer unpleasant looks I get, still mostly from guys. I also have fewer pretty young women strike up conversations with me. Sigh.

...there was nothing wrong with her a good dose of distance wouldn't cure. - A. Christie

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe