Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Flying to Ft Lauderdale from N.O.La

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rwats2 Posted - 05/05/2010 : 3:51:12 PM
I am flying form New Orleans to Ft Lauderdale in a few weeks to go on a cruise. I will be flying on South West. Destination both ways. I was wondering about needles and a crochet hook. I will be taking patterns for both of those plus a tatting needle. What are my chances?? Having both of those with me in the carry bag, but I do not have to take them out keeps my mind busy as I fly.

Thanks.
Rebecca + Amelia(aka Stinkerpaws)

"Never try to discuss marriage with a musician"
Lucy from the Peanuts.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kkknitter Posted - 12/03/2010 : 4:59:51 PM
I flew to Sweden in June with Scandinavian Airlines with my bambu knitting knitting needles in my carry-on-bag, and nobody said a word.

kk
Rwats2 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 3:34:38 PM
In all the years that I have been traveling, the scissors were the only thing that got taken back all those years ago. I think that I have just I alot smarter now. This trip I did not have anything taken, kept my big mouth shut about the bamboo needles in the bag, and actually I use the smallest finger nail clipper that I can find. I did however knit on the plane on the way out, and no one said a word. I was ignored the entire flight. The only reason that I did not on the way back, and I even had a dish cloth in progress was the fact that the carry on bag I had was kind of full and just could not get to anything at all. I had to resort to a magazine that I picked up in the airport on the way back to N.O.La,

Rebecca + Amelia(Stinkerpaws)
Rwats2 Posted - 12/03/2010 : 3:22:09 PM
In all the years that I have been traveling, the scissors were the only thing that got taken back all those years ago. I think that I have just
mathiemom Posted - 05/25/2010 : 10:52:00 AM
Rebecca, I'm not sure if you've left for your trip already or not, but I definitely wouldn't try to "hide" your needles. The x-ray machine will see them anyway, and it makes you look a lot more suspicious (like you are up to no good and have something to hide) if it seems like you're trying to sneak something on board rather than simply being open about it. Metal clips, etc. are allowed, so I wouldn't worry about those. Pointed scissors have been banned since 9/11, but small rounded-top scissors are okay.

Hope you have/had a good trip!

Wendy
knittingrunner Posted - 05/19/2010 : 06:37:48 AM
The TSA website states that tools up to 7" long are allowed.
When I take tools for work they include; plyers, needle nose plyers, wire cutters (small dikes), a set of allen keys and a disassembled nutdriver/screwdriver. The inspectors appreciate it when I remove and open my small tool bag and send it through the x-ray so they can see the tools clearly.
You have no worries with paper clips and binder clips!!!
Have a fun, relaxing trip!

Run, Bike, Knit, Repeat!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
Rwats2 Posted - 05/18/2010 : 4:58:01 PM
Thanks for the information. I am hoping that I can get some things done on the flight each way. I figure that it keeps me quiet, and calms me at the same time. My only other problem is getting my small paper clips and tiny binder clips through the security x-gaget. Then I think that I am home free. I generally like to copy a good many of my patterns by hand, so that I do not have to lug around, or lose my original pattern books. Those books just take up so much room to begin with.

Rebecca + Amelia(aka Stinkerpaws)
knittingrunner Posted - 05/17/2010 : 4:50:56 PM
I'm glad you decided to bring your knitting, you will be fine.
I've flown quite a bit with various knitting needles and a few tools for work and had no troubles at all.
SWA is one of the more knitter friendly airlines I've flown.
Knitting is a great way to pass the time at the gate and allows discreet people watching to boot.

Run, Bike, Knit, Repeat!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
Rwats2 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 3:44:28 PM
I am taking some dish cloth patterns that call for a size 8. I bought 2 size 8-- 16 circulars. So I am going to hide one needle in a big magazine, and just take my chances with the other. I am flying in and out of Ft. Laud from N.O. The only thing that I have ever had taken in an airport was a small pair of scissors. That was back in 04. I was impressed as to why my tatting needles were not taken as well. They were about 6" long. I am sure that getting them on the Cruise ship is going to be a piece of cake.
mathiemom Posted - 05/13/2010 : 11:46:02 AM
Rebecca, one more thing: I have had stuff from my checked bags go missing, though never my knitting. Honestly, I worry more about my checked yarn disappearing than losing my needles to TSA.

Wendy
mathiemom Posted - 05/13/2010 : 11:43:27 AM
Rebecca, don't be nervous about your needles. Like Clara, I've flown all over the US and four continents on many, many airlines (including Southwest) with my knitting and all kinds of needles since 9/11. I think that TSA realizes that knitting will keep knitters calm in flight. I've NEVER had an issue with needles in the US. I've had other stuff confiscated when I slipped up and forgot to move an officially forbidden item (eg liquids, a tiny Swiss Army knife) back into my checked bag.

If you're really worried (and I wouldn't be) you could take wooden/bamboo needles and/or inexpensive needles instead of metal. That way, if you did end up taking your knitting off the needles, you wouldn't lose expensive needles. But I find flying to be the perfect time to work on my knitting, and would never leave it out of my carry on unless I knew for certain that there would be a problem.

Two provisos:
1) As was already pointed out in this thread, some countries other than the US have different policies. The only time I ever had a problem was on an in-country flight in Chile (though after a bit of hassle, the knitting was allowed to be carried on anyway).
2) A couple of years ago, I pulled out my knitting in-flight, and a flight attendant came over to admire it. She then told me that, on that morning, another flight attendant had her very long circular needle confiscated by a TSA agent who claimed that circs longer than 32" were not permitted(!). I've never heard this before or since, and no one has ever measured my circs. However, just to be on the safe side, since that time I carry circs that are 32" or less.

Have a great trip!

Wendy
Clara Posted - 05/09/2010 : 07:56:42 AM
Rebecca, I'm sorry you chose to go without your knitting. I will again say that I don't know anybody who has flown within the United States in, say, the last five years who's had any problems with their knitting needles. They're on the TSA's list of allowed items.

The problems still exist with international flights, as Richard noted about his trip to Mexico.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
lacylaine Posted - 05/08/2010 : 9:07:19 PM
I just flew from Indianapolis to Sacramento a few days ago with my knitting needles and a crochet hook. I put my knitting kit (with scissors) in with my through baggage. My needles (in my backpack) were fine but they did confiscate my small ice pack! (I had packed a breakfast to save some time and money.)

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts! 2010: two pair felted clogs, pink chemo cap for Mom

flyboyutah Posted - 05/07/2010 : 06:22:50 AM
For what it's worth, this past Dec we flew to Cancun,Mexico on Delta with knitting needles in tow. We had checked with Delta before our flight and their web site showed knitting needles were allowed.
WRONG. Yes, leaving the US they were ok, but returning from Mexico as we passed through the security checks they told us (the Mexican authorities) we had to surrender the needles.
Katie had a project on her needles so we just stood there while she moved all her stitches off onto a thread while the officials watched.

:) javascript:insertsmilie('')

Richard
Rwats2 Posted - 05/06/2010 : 08:16:33 AM
I have decided that I do not have to use them. I may just go ahead and put them in the suitcase to be safe.

Thanks.

"My Aunt Marian was right never try to discuss marriage with a musician" ---Lucy Van Pelt (The Peanuts)
Clara Posted - 05/05/2010 : 5:12:48 PM
I've flown all over the place in the U.S., even two weeks after 9/11 and also on Southwest Airlines, and I have never had my knitting needles questioned or confiscated. They are on the TSA's list of allowed items. As always, an individual TSA agent has final say in what gets through, but I think the issue of needles on domestic flights is pretty much over now. Anyone else have experiences otherwise lately?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe