Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Three Summer Reads

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 05/12/2010 : 5:02:33 PM
Do you remember when you'd get those summer reading lists before being set free for summer vacation? Well I thought I'd put together a shorter list of knitting-themed books that actually would make great summer reads. One is a memoir, another is a juicy romance, and the third is a non-fiction look at how we can make the world "greener." Here's the full piece.

I'd love to know what other knitting-related novels/stories/good reads you'd put on the list.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Catlover Posted - 05/17/2010 : 10:12:29 AM
I've read Yarn: Remembering the Way Home and Knitting Green and enjoyed them both. What a good idea to create the list, Clara.
minh Posted - 05/16/2010 : 3:02:56 PM
Joanne, I asked for your book as a Xmas present last year :) I loved your idea of making a list after reading the book of all the little things that I could do to knit green. And that yellow cardigan in the book is beautiful, it's on my to-knit list.

I picked up Sweater Quest to read while on vacation next week. I wish they had made me write knitting-related book reports back in high school...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
purlewe Posted - 05/13/2010 : 11:21:32 AM
I happened to have read the first 2 books Clara, and I agreed with your review! I loved Sweater Quest for the way it wove the story of the sweater throughput the story of knitters connectiveness. I also loevd How To Knit A Love Song even tho I am not your typical romance reader. I thought both books are well worth the read and have been recommending them!! Now I will go look for the 3rd book. Thanks for the recommendations!

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Joanne Seiff Posted - 05/13/2010 : 06:56:46 AM
I'd be grateful if folks might also consider checking out my book, Knit Green:20 Projects & Ideas for Sustainability published by Wiley & Sons, last October. It's got 9 chapters with information discussing sustainable choices in knitting with information from experts in the field, plus 20+ patterns for the beginning to intermediate knitter. I've heard tell from others that they think it's worth reading!

Happy vacations, picnics, knitting and reading this summer!
Best Wishes for the perfect pattern and the green yarn to go with it,
Joanne
jencaustin@comcast.net Posted - 05/13/2010 : 05:14:12 AM
I really enjoyed Sweater Quest and How To Knit A Love Story. I am on order list for Knitting Green. Great choices! I agree that when I can't knit next best thing is to read about knitting.
kjelenfy Posted - 05/13/2010 : 04:59:47 AM
Cool choices. I reviewed Sweater Quest on my blog at mylifewithknitters.blogspot.com too. Don't forget that audio books from Knitting Out Loud are another way to knit & "read".

Love your column & books & would like to meet you someday, Clara.

Karen Jelenfy
Village Books
Washington, Maine
terryknits2 Posted - 05/13/2010 : 04:25:01 AM
Here's another one I would add to the list -- Yarn: Remembering the Way Home by Kyoko Mori. It's a beautifully written memoir by a very skilled writer who's life story has been intertwined with her lifelong learning/doing of knitting. A truly wonderful reading experience that makes you think about the role of knitting in our lives.

And I also read Sweater Quest - so interesting, so much fun to read - I highly recommend it to everyone!
GFTC Posted - 05/12/2010 : 7:14:47 PM
I read Sweater Quest. Very enjoyable and somewhat surprising in that the story line about knitting the Starmore sweater was just a thread (heh, heh) to knit together lots of different information and experiences relating to knitting in general. A lot of the references will mean more to knitters who are familiar with the internet world of knitting but you don't have to be a Starmore junkie to like the book.

Recommend? Yes.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe