Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitter's Swap
 Needle and Tool Swap
 lace blocking supplies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cathy moore Posted - 05/18/2010 : 1:15:34 PM
I'm about to try to block my first lace project. Does anyone have wires, pad, etc to give away or sell???? Please??
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
NutmegOwl Posted - 05/20/2010 : 06:59:33 AM
While I love blocking with wires, you can also block effectively with a crochet-weight cotton, found inexpensively at craft stores. Using a tapestry needle, run it through the edges or relevant portions of your project. Pin the ends of the string securely. Then pin your project as needed along the string. In essence, you're creating wires without wires.

I've had horrid luck with the foam mats, but use an empty bed for bigger lace projects.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Shelia Posted - 05/19/2010 : 07:14:46 AM
Costco had the interlocking foam mats last month, and the price was attractive, maybe around $12-$14 for a package of 8. I blocked for years without wires, just used lots and lots of the longer sewing pins (stainless). I've also used bamboo skewers in a pinch when I've been without my wires, which are really cheap for a good-sized package. You have to reject the rougher ones, but they work well and you can use multiples on the sides of lace items. There are some U shaped pins available at craft stores that are cheaper than T pins, I've got some of those around and have used them as well.

HTH!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
KathyR Posted - 05/18/2010 : 3:44:21 PM
Sorry I can't help you at all, but over here we are able to get 2mm or so stainless steel welding rods from engineering supply shops much cheaper than the blocking wires. Many people use a mattress to pin their work out on to or towels on the floor. Alternatively, you can buy interlocking foam mats quite cheaply, maybe from a toystore. Over here, t-pins are rather expensive from sewing and knitting stores but, I am told that you can purchase them at a much better price from hairdressers; they use them for attaching wigs (ETA - to dummy heads!) or something along that line. The mind boggles as the pins are rather long!

If you think outside the square the supplies you require can be purchased for a reasonable price - especially if you have other knitters around who are willing to go shares with you.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe