Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Supported Spindle!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Manasi Posted - 01/13/2006 : 09:55:21 AM
I saw someone at my guild using a supported spindle - she let me try it & it was so NICE to use! She just supported it on her lap. I want one. One that's affordable ("Hmmm" I hear you say )
I've never been a spindle person but this looked like it would be so easy to take on road trips or long doctors visits!
Where do I get one?

:)
http://yarnahoy.blogspot.com/
I sell at http://yarnahoy.etsy.com
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lovethelake Posted - 11/16/2010 : 05:30:43 AM
Salutations

My friends love to use the drop spindle. I prefer my wheel, but want to learn it for those upcoming snowbound days. They spin mostly fine wool and alpaca. We found that cotton is very hard to spin so gave up on that fiber. My friend is addicted to her supported spindle (whorl on the bottom and it spins in a small cup). That is the one I am going to focus on, since I do not have to raise my arms above my head. I fell last December and nearly broke my back, so I am still tender with my shoulders.

If you have a specific question, let me know I will ask my guru friends.

Be well, happy, safe and peaceful.

Lovethelake
Katheroni Posted - 11/13/2010 : 1:25:21 PM
Hey! I liked this thread! Thanks for resurrecting it so I could go through it again. Fun. And welcome, too.
PaperChikPunk Posted - 11/13/2010 : 04:06:56 AM
Hi, All,

I am new to the Knitter's Review Forums, and one of the reasons I joined is because of this specific forum. I am both a wheel and a drop spindler with medium skill on both. The fiber that I spin is exclusively lace weight, and the only animal derived fiber that I use is tussah silk (none of the others suit my specific purposes).

Although you would probably not need to call the psych people to report me for hoarding, I do have a repertoire of spindles, both drop and supported: I have both an apple and a pear, plus two coin tahklis (with bowl), and a Navajo, all of which are supported. The first four I use for mostly short stapled fibers, but when I am impatient with my silk, I run it through one of the coins. I spins SOOOO much faster and I can get pretty fine.

For the drop spindles, all of mine are top, although I have no bias; it has just turned out that way. I have one super light weight Bosworth, one medium super light weight anonymous, two Ashfords which look like they should be cumbersome and heavy but spin like a dream; they are medium weight, around 1.5 oz., and one medium anonymous, a little lighter than the Ashfords.

I have two Bosworth charkas for doing volume cotton spinning. Needless to say, these are unparalled.

And finally, I have a two-year old Babe's Fiber Garden double treadle starter spinning wheel which you may pry from my cold dead hands.

So I guess that I don't like to spin, and I really don't have some pathological illness about spindles, either. I do need a couple of bottom whorl spindles, though, to even out the collection, and I went out to check the Spindolyn and am very interested in loomy's observation. Guess I'd better put it on the shopping list.

By the way, I am a professional handmade papermaker in real life. There is a ton of cross over between fiber arts and handmade paper. If you are interested, you can check out my still evolving websites:

www.jessiesfibrenomicon.com
www.jessiesfibrenomicon.com/jessiesblog

The website (wwww) has a link to my FaceBook biz page. You do not have to be a FB member to access it, nor will I ever know whether you have or not. I am in the process of migrating all of the stuff stashed at the FB site to the WordPress blog and the website but in the meantime...

Thank you for all of the great information you share here. It is a total inspiration, and I hope that I may come up with some valuable tidbits to share in return.

Gwynne C. Mason
loomy Posted - 10/03/2009 : 11:16:28 AM
[quote]Originally posted by azblueskies

What type of fiber is best spun on a Spindolyn? And how much yarn will it hold before you have to wind off?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! I spin just about anything on a Spindolyn - right now I have alpaca on one, some Romney that's a bit felted on another, and milk fiber on the third.

I was able to easily get 2 ounces on the Tenor Spindolyn (it has a shorter shaft than the older models). It looked full, but I think one could get more on there than that - maybe not a full 3 ounces, but I'd have to test it (and I'm not very good at winding the cop).

I've been spinning more on my Spindolyns than I have on my wheels, and am considering getting another extra spindle or two.

How do you like your Royal Hare?
azblueskies Posted - 04/21/2009 : 07:46:04 AM
What type of fiber is best spun on a Spindolyn? And how much yarn will it hold before you have to wind off? Anyone know the same answers for the Royal Hare? Thanks!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
loomy Posted - 04/21/2009 : 04:49:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MindyO

...I should specify, I ordered the Royal Hare Brass supported spindle mentioned int he posts above. Lookint at the spindolyn it seems very similar, just a different construction.

I thought you had ordered a Spindolyn - I should've read the thread more closely.

I know there can be waits for Spindys too, but I don't think they are quite that long!
MindyO Posted - 04/20/2009 : 7:30:40 PM
I ordered from Woodland Woolworks. It was specified on their website it was back ordered and I did email to ask how long and knew it would be at least end of February. I have emailed a couple times and the employees have been very nice in keeping me updated as well as contacting the supplier periodically to inquire about time frame. I guess Royal Hare is working with a new maker for the base or something?

I should specify, I ordered the Royal Hare Brass supported spindle mentioned int he posts above. Lookint at the spindolyn it seems very similar, just a different construction.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
loomy Posted - 04/20/2009 : 12:54:59 PM
[quote]Originally posted by MindyO

I'm still waiting for mine to come in... I'm getting annoyed and impatient, but I knew it would be a bit of a wait. It's been 4 months.

Wow - that's quite a wait! Did you order directly from KnittingAnyway? I probably ought to get my order in now - then I'll have a surprise when it does show up!

MindyO Posted - 04/20/2009 : 12:27:29 AM
I'm still waiting for mine to come in... I'm getting annoyed and impatient, but I knew it would be a bit of a wait. It's been 4 months.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
loomy Posted - 04/19/2009 : 7:04:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MindyO

Is there any update on this from anyone else who has used it? Because now I want one too...

Mindy,

I've had a Spindolyn for at least a year (probably more like two years), and though I spin mostly on wheels I like the Spindy a lot - it's the only spindle I use now. For one thing, when the yarn breaks (which happens to me a lot ) the spindle doesn't drop. It spins smoothly, and I can use both hands if I need to unlike other supported spindles.

I just finished a cotton-spinning workshop, and was able to spin cotton best on the Spindy, compared to my wheel, a supported spindle made by the teacher, and my Babe Liten Spindle. I've used it with a 50-pound dog on my lap, in the car, sitting on the floor, and in a chair. Now that she has a new model I'll buying another one.
jennybensmom Posted - 02/26/2009 : 11:01:14 AM
I'll look forward to your review, Mindy. Tell us how you like it.

Barbara
MindyO Posted - 02/25/2009 : 11:13:50 PM
Well I wouldn't say you're ignorant at all since I ordered one and have no clue! LOL Ordered mid
January and I'm still waiting on it to come in probably mid-march. I don't see why it wouldn't work though, the video lady was using it on cotton, I intend to use it for wool and silk.

I imagine they might work better with shorter fibers that would have a tendancy to break or separate easier with the weight of a drop spindle, but I don't really know for sure. I guess I will let you know how it goes when I get mine. I will definietly be posting when I get to use it!

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
jennybensmom Posted - 02/25/2009 : 11:08:44 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but can any fiber be spun on support spindles? From the long fibered wools to short fibered cotton and cashmere? They look so comfortable to spin with.

Barbara
MindyO Posted - 01/10/2009 : 10:28:52 PM
It is listed on www.woodlandwoolworks.com too but they are also sold out at this time, I emailed and she said it was going to be about 6 more weeks (a week ago) I think I'm going to order one.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Pompup Posted - 01/10/2009 : 6:53:11 PM
Oh, you can buy a support spindle at www.woolery.com unfortunately, they are out of stock or something so you can't buy one right now (otherwise I'd get one for myself too).
carolron Posted - 01/04/2009 : 1:54:44 PM
Take away everything - it's the home-and-garden one, for sure. I just went to the picture.
Mine has a black shaft which I'm pretty certain is wood.
Enjoy!
carolron Posted - 01/04/2009 : 1:50:56 PM
I have a supported spindle i bought more than 25 years ago.
It has no manufacturer or name on it. It has a brass base which sits on a table (TV tray, anything flat), then the spindle has a brass piece which fits into the base and spins around. Ball bearings in the base. Total height, 6'.
It's spiffy!
Carol
Katheroni Posted - 12/18/2008 : 09:54:17 AM
I guess the many wistful hours haunting spindle sellers' sites and spinning groups can pay off...
MindyO Posted - 12/17/2008 : 8:00:37 PM
OMG THAT'S IT!!!!! You are SO AWESOME!!!!! I love you

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Katheroni Posted - 12/17/2008 : 1:55:42 PM
I am on a slow connection, so I can't watch the video, but from it sounds like it might be a Royale Hare support spindle. Here's a link to one for sale (NAYY, just the first Google hit). I don't have one, have never used one, but am just aware of them.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1074281179011363650CytAve

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe