Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 Holes in Felted Bag

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
margeaa Posted - 11/20/2010 : 3:33:23 PM
I knit and felted a bag last year for the first time. It came out beautiful and I was proud to use it. I put it away in a plastic bin for the winter. I took it out the other day and there are slight holes in several places. It looks like the wool pulled away. Or did moths get to it? I don't see anything else in the bin that would suggest that moths were in it. If it's not moths, what happened? Can it be refelted? Or do I just need to get rid of it?

Thanks for any advice.

Marge
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kkknitter Posted - 12/01/2010 : 05:34:13 AM
I have started to store all my knitted projects over the Summer in a separate closet full of mothballs ever since I found holes in some UFOs.

kk
lovethelake Posted - 11/30/2010 : 3:24:10 PM
Salutations

If there weren't holes you had company. If you have more yarn or can buy a color that goes I would needle felt in the holes. If you have a yarn store nearby, I would suggest an ounce or two of matching roving that spinners use. Then you might stick it in the washer for a few minutes. Should be new again. If you are really into felting I bought a Wonder Washer. It sits on your counter and does a great job of felting, and it does not clog up your pipes. I had to do a large piece so I took it to the launder-mat. But do no add soap. People add way too much soap, so there is already enough in the machine.

Be well, happy, safe and peaceful.

Lovethelake
margeaa Posted - 11/22/2010 : 05:38:06 AM
No...it is just a heavy multi-color wool.

Marge
kbshee Posted - 11/21/2010 : 12:25:02 PM
Was it entrelac or some type of colorwork? I've found that once or twice I've gotten 'holes' after felting where the colors changed.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
margeaa Posted - 11/21/2010 : 06:41:31 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am also assuming that moths got in there...I'm just surprised that nothing else in the bin had any damage. I thought that maybe there is something in the felting process that would cause some separation after time and cause small holes. There aren't many holes...so I will try to do something with them. I never needle felted before...but it's worth trying. Or maybe put buttons or something else at those points. Or make potholders or coasters....it is a large bag. I forgot that I can cut it up.

Thanks again. Marge
Consuelo Posted - 11/20/2010 : 6:34:15 PM
yes, you can re-felt it. How big are these holes? Do you think they would disappear if you threw it in the hot wash again? If not, I would suggest taking a little bit of the yarn (if you still have it) and needle felting it where the holes are. I would feel better about this since it won't change the good parts at all.

Whatever you do, don't throw it away. If it becomes hopeless, you can cut it up for coasters or make a smaller bag out of it. Remember, once it's felted, you can cut into it and it won't unravel.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
purlthis Posted - 11/20/2010 : 4:28:40 PM
Honestly, it sounds as if you've had some sort of pest invasion.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe