Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 E/Digital Editions of Books & Magazines

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cdunitz@healmyhands.com Posted - 12/30/2010 : 10:04:32 AM
How do you feel about the newly emerging E editions:

Have you purchased any?
Do you like them?
Do you think the pricing is fair?
Have you had problems with any of them?
Do you think some authors are doing a better job at utilizing the medium's strengths or weaknesses than others?
Do you think knitting and crochet have an E-future?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jtamsn Posted - 12/31/2010 : 09:59:50 AM
Call me old-fashioned. I like opening the mailbox and seeing my favorite mag. there. I also like feeling the pages in my hands, reading and re-reading. I've been resistant/reluctant to jump on the "e" bandwagon.
judy
cdunitz@healmyhands.com Posted - 12/30/2010 : 4:45:33 PM
I've purchased several, all graphic design publications. The E-edition is always less than the print editions. I agree that the brain power is the same regardless of the medium, but the cost to the publisher is so much less...

I also have an Audible account, as we often listen to audio books in the evenings and in the car. Our subscription is about $21 per month, and for that, we get three credits. Most audio books, including best selling titles, are one credit. That makes the books on the average - $7 each. Far less than than a print, or even an E-edition. It seems to me, that having the book read, or performed, might be a costly undertaking. But the books are still only about $7 each...

I also have subscriptions to Lynda.com, where I get an amazing array of fabulous tutorials on software for $25 a month. I can watch as many as I wish!

I'm also considering another subscription that will allow me to access hundreds of technical books that would cost me a fortune to purchase. Since I often only need to read a chapter - I think this is an amazing way to have a private technical reference library for a very reasonable fee.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm thrilled that my favorite hobby is jumping on the digital bandwagon, but I wish they would take their customers purses into consideration. I will not purchase a digital edition of a publication unless I see that the authors have made a price consideration. Clara, in this recent newsletter, has mentioned a couple of knitwear designers who are doing just that.

I salute them all - Thank you for thinking of us!

Cheers,

Consuelo Posted - 12/30/2010 : 3:24:32 PM
No, I have not purchased any ebooks of mags but I think it's a great idea! It seems to me that pricing should be less. I think there is no difference in brain power to produce them, of course, but there is no paper, no ink, no printing press, no person to run the press, no truck to distribute it, no gas to fuel the truck, no driver to drive it... etc. When I first saw the concept I thought the price would be half or less but that's not the case.

I think this has a HUGE future in every realm of life and publishers that don't get on the band wagon will be left in the proverbial dust.

Happy New Year.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe