Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Tunisian crochet

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mkfromKansas Posted - 01/06/2011 : 08:45:08 AM
Has anyone tried this yet? It's probably not a new technique, but it's new to me and I think I'd like to give it a shot. I have knitted for years and only last year began to teach myself to crochet. Eventually I would like to make a filet crochet nice enough to frame. But this Tunisian concept intrigues me.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
queen of the east Posted - 01/27/2011 : 4:21:43 PM
I learned Tunisian crochet when I was 7 years old, that's about 50 years ago. My Mum had taught me knitting and crochet basics when I was five. For my 7th birthday she gave me a paperback book of knitting and crochet stitch patterns. The book also happened to have small sections on Tunisian and Hairpin crochet. I really fell for Tunisian crochet, my Mum bought me a hook that I still have, it is steel and is made in three sections that screw together. After making squares of all of the Tunisian stitch patterns in the book I lost some of my enthusiasm.
Five years later I was becoming more involved in sewing my own clothes and wanted to make myself a coat for fall and early winter. At that time we had some new neighbours,a young couple newly married. The husband was from Montreal and his wife, Inga, from Germany. Inga was a very stylish dresser and as it turned out made most of her clothes. She was also very adept at Tunisian crochet. Inga showed me how to use a sewing pattern and Tunisian crochet to make myself a coat. It was not so difficult, you crochet each pattern piece and then stitch it together. The Tunisian technique made a lovely firm, warm fabric. Unfortunately I outgrew the coat rapidly, it was handed on to a younger cousin.
Now with so many different yarns available I like to try them out in a Tunisian project once and a while. I have some silk organza ribbon yarn that might be interesting and would be very lightweight.
Tunisian crochet also makes an excellent ground for cross stitch embroidery.

Ann in Montreal
lori1551 Posted - 01/27/2011 : 09:41:30 AM

Hi,,, I have made an afghan with the Tunisian crochet stitch... if you check out my pictures look for the one called 2002. It is a blue blanket with a white and burgundy cross stitch pattern on top.

Before I was taking pictures of my projects I made 3 reversible blankets (one color on one side and another on the other side)it was really beautiful. These ones were made with a double ended crochet hook in case you are interested. I have asked the recipient of one of the blankets to take a picture of it for me...If you want the pattern I could copy and send you.

I had my husband make me a long hook (about 24 inches long) out of a 5/16 dowel that you can buy in any hardware store. You can now buy great crochet hooks from Denise with any length of cable to allow for the width of your blanket. If I made another one I would definitely purchase the Denise hooks.

My blanket is really warm.
socks4all Posted - 01/07/2011 : 10:00:31 AM
I too taught myself tunisian or afghan crochet. I had been crocheting for years, wanted to knit but just couldn't manage a purl. This was a way of "replicating" knit & purl patterns. Like all crochet, the fabric is much heavier, thicker, and stiffer than knit. For all those who have expressed interest in learning this technique I would also suggest mosiac crochet as an interesting technique to learn, and filet for lace lovers.
mrssuem Posted - 01/07/2011 : 08:10:33 AM
I am determined to learn Tunisian crochet this year. Self taught knitter and I can also crochet (again self taught with the aid of books and the internet). As with knitting, the yarn used for a project makes all the difference in the world and you can always interchange.
lacylaine Posted - 01/07/2011 : 08:03:18 AM
I made a baby blanket with this technique, depicting "the cow jumped over the moon". I really wish I had equated it with intarsia and used (if I knew of them back then) yarn bobbins. It took forever to weave in all the ends. But it looked great when it was done.

Good luck!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts

hillstreetmama Posted - 01/06/2011 : 5:53:38 PM
I have a co-worker who is a crochet master. She comes to knit nite and works on Tunisian crochet items. Some are really amazing. I watched a boatload of videos on the net about it, was about to buy the Denise interchangeable crochet set, when I realized that the reason I quit doing crochet and took up knitting was because of the drape and feel of knit fabric. It totally surpasses crochet in my book, so I've decided to stay with knitting.

Tunisian crochet is EXCELLENT for bags, because it is a heavier fabric, but for most garments, I still prefer knitting.

Jan
ClaireG Posted - 01/06/2011 : 09:50:06 AM
I have done a little of this,it is not to bad and plenty of places on the web that does explain how to do this.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe