Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitter's Swap
 Book and Magazine Swap
 Looking for a ladies' cape for myself

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeannette Posted - 10/24/2010 : 3:35:56 PM
Hi everybody,
I am looking for a cape pattern for myself. I had a cape pattern in the 1980s and this is the one I am wanting to replace. I had the pattern then, but it was throw away (too small and I didn't know how to make it larger). I have forgotten who published the pattern. I know that I purchased it at my local dime store (remember them?), but this same store went out of business in the early 90s. Also, I don't have any of the capes I knit (they would be too small now anyway) and I don't have any way (I don't think) to recreate the pattern, so I am trying to find an indentical one if possible. Here is a description of the cape:

knitted on size 8 needles
knitted in three pieces (back, left front, and right front)
rounded bottom
closed with buttons or could use snaps (I did--I sewed buttons on on front and the snaps on the other side)
hip length or nearly so
had collar knitted as part of edging on the cape.
size needs to be a 1x or 2x.

If I can't get the size, need hints on how to enlarge the cape to this size. The size I had in 80 was a 18.

Does this description ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks for looking!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
the yarn addict Posted - 12/28/2011 : 7:55:01 PM
Hi Jeannette: did you ever find a suitable cape pattern? I know this is a whole year later but I just found a nice freebie which I think meets your requirements. I found it at the vogue knitting website but I would be happy to e-mail it to you as I have already downloaded it. Let me know. Alyce
lacylaine Posted - 02/02/2011 : 3:54:59 PM
And now there's one at Knitty. Looks very nice and I'm thinking of making it for myself.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest

2totangle Posted - 12/16/2010 : 09:35:53 AM
Hi, Jeannette. The Interweave book Wrap Style has instructions for a Grand Plan Top-Down Capelets that allow you to adjust for gauge, size, openings, collar, stitch pattern, etc. The instructions are more of a recipe than a traditional pattern, but detailed enough to eliminate much of the calculation you'd otherwise have to do.

There are also some free cape patterns on the Drops website, although these may be a little more detailed (and shorter) than what you're looking for:

Poncho with boucle collar
Poncho with ribbing

Good luck!

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
pjkite Posted - 12/15/2010 : 05:26:24 AM
That description does ring a bell, but goodness knows if I have the pattern - I wasn't knitting in the 1980's, but weaving. I'll second Melanie's suggestion - run, don't walk to the closest source for Barbara Walker's book. You can knit the cape in a single piece, custom fit it, and choose whatever yarn and needle size you want for the fabric you need.

One additional suggestion, since you're talking about a cape? Try to watch the weight and fiber content - it might tend to grow a bit. That's why I've only made one knitted cape from worsted wool - it turned out to be just too heavy for this part of the country!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

lacylaine Posted - 12/14/2010 : 12:24:57 PM
Sounds like your best bet would be to get the Barbara Walker book "Knitting from the Top". She covers capes and the whole point of this technique is that each project is custom fit. Good luck!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts! 2010: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe