Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 KR Member's Blog on Wisconsin Labor Dispute

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
flicka Posted - 02/23/2011 : 10:15:47 AM
The KR member "baxterknits" is blogging about the events in Wisconsin, where the governor and his fellow Republicans (bankrolled by the Koch brothers) are trying to take collective bargaining rights away from unions. Here is the link to her political blog:

http://likeatreestandingbywater.blogspot.com/

This is an issue about which I am passionate and unforgiving, so I will let baxterknits tell the tale.

flicka
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
flicka Posted - 03/12/2011 : 8:19:18 PM
I just wanted to bump this. . . lots of good writing, pictures, and links. All this may be coming to a state near you.

Link in the original post is still good.

flicka
lella Posted - 02/27/2011 : 9:55:54 PM
While the Governor of Wisconsin started yelling about the expense of public sector jobs and unions and making his first moves, he earlier had CUT taxes on wealthier individuals. That's when I knew he was seriously compromised in his arguments that it was a State emergency.

Shalee, I hadn't ever heard that he spent 6/7th of any stimulus money to shore up benefits for public sector jobs. We all know now that he's quite the "obfuscator". This is the preferable word, considering the climate in our country.

Flicka thank you for the links to Baxterknit's Blog. Great blogging!

Lella

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
ClimberKnits Posted - 02/27/2011 : 09:07:23 AM
Thanks to baxterknits for her postings. I hope she leaves them up as the same foolishness works its way through Ohio. Her links and references could come in very handy for us over here.
slaggyc Posted - 02/23/2011 : 11:52:16 PM
Yes, thank you! I've been trying to follow this story very closely, especially since I have a feeling more states may try to follow.

Slaggyc

http://wheresmyverve.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slaggyc/
mouse Posted - 02/23/2011 : 5:48:32 PM
Thank you, Flicka, and thank you, baxterknits. Very informative and interesting.

........................................................................................................................
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. Antoine de Saint Exupery
flicka Posted - 02/23/2011 : 2:20:37 PM
quote:
originally posted by shalee:
I did hear that 6/7ths of the money received by the state for economic recovery was used to shore up and help cover the State's liability for coverage for health and retirement benefits for government employees.

It would be interesting to know where you heard that. Please know you are not getting a very straight story from cable, or even broadcast, news. Please read Baxterknits' blog to get the other side of the story.

flicka
Shalee Posted - 02/23/2011 : 2:07:12 PM
I thought the bill was concerning unions that represented the State, City, County, schools (government) employees, not private sector. I must have misunderstood.

I did hear that 6/7ths of the money received by the state for economic recovery was used to shore up and help cover the State's liability for coverage for health and retirement benefits for government employees.

I'm not following the news in a much detail as I should, on this subject. It is expanding to other states, just like the problems in the mid-east.

I don't know where it will all go and how it will affect our lives. The economy is being affected by all these things and that isn't good, that I will agree with. None of this is any good.

What can I do in a little town like I live in? Not a ***** of a lot except prepare myself for shortages and stock up on some basic essentials. I've aready reduced my driving and gas budget down to next to nothing.

I wish all of you the best in these unsettled times and the challenges that are coming. They could become the norm, prices going up that may not come down. Groceries have already gone up, along with corn, cotton, gas and clothing. It just seems like the whole world is out of control, the unrest spreading like the plague.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

azblueskies Posted - 02/23/2011 : 12:05:56 PM
Thank you, Flicka.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe