Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Long circs ok from Chicago to Heathrow?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 03/28/2011 : 9:23:21 PM
I'm flying to London in a couple weeks. It would be fabulous if I could knit a Moebius scarf on the flights (maybe more than that). I'm a bit concerned about a 40" circ in my carry-on bag, with US size 15 tips, though. Thought I'd check and see if anyone has gone in that direction recently.

Also wondering how Heathrow is about knitting on the way back to the US. I've already got a plan, though: ask one of the guards on the way out of Heathrow upon my arrival.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wen Posted - 06/18/2011 : 3:42:22 PM
According to someone I met who works in airport security the measures are not to protect passengers from getting hurt directly but to protect the integrity of the plane. A knitting needle can be used to pick at the edge of the window or damage a lock etc, especially metal ones. That is primarily what they are look for, implements that could cause problems mid flight if used inappropriately.

I had a flight leave 1.5 hours late recently because a kid had sat next to the window and picked at the edge of it with something that you wouldn't even think about letting on a plane. The plane had to be checked by an engineer (who had to be flown in to the city I was in) before the plane could be cleared to take off.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157623175907664/show/ 2010 FO
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/ My blog
Sloknitr Posted - 06/18/2011 : 11:49:09 AM
I have never had a problem in US airports, but all European airports, including London Heathrow seem to restrict knitting needles. It is sometimes capricious (especially Paris!) It is amazing the things they will deem dangerous, but that is the way it is. Even if you are successful in sneaking your needles past security, your flight attendant can order you to cease your knitting.
Shalee Posted - 04/08/2011 : 4:39:00 PM
If you mean the project, no. But I have heard, here on KR, about one gal wit a lace project on needles. The TSA guy just pulled the project off the needles and handed it back to her, keeping her needles. I'd have killed him!

If yo travel with a project, for safety's sake, insert a life line before going through security and put it on cheap needles to transfer to better ones once past TSA!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Rwats2 Posted - 04/07/2011 : 08:45:02 AM
For those of you who have traveled in and out of the country and in and out of the UK, home did things go with your needles? I was just curious because there have not been any posts on the subject in a long time about it.

Rebecca + Amelia(Stinkerpaws)
Ceil Posted - 04/01/2011 : 11:18:41 PM
I've always seen long circs as an object of strangulation--ARRRRGGGHHHH! Thanks for the heads up! Think I'll pack my circ w/ yarn so I have something to do over there, and then I'll knit socks on the plane.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
purlthis Posted - 03/29/2011 : 3:09:38 PM
I have travelled all over with my Knit Picks in the case, and they've never blinked an eye in the US or Carribean.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
knittingbuzz Posted - 03/29/2011 : 11:43:05 AM
From Chicago to Heathrow, circs longer than 29" are not permitted ..... deemed as a choking device. Not sure about Heathrow to Chicago...just know they are stricter.

I have not had any trouble with bamboo dpns.

Krista

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't .... either way you are right."
-Henry Ford

My Blog http://theknittingbuzz.typepad.com/the-knitting-buzz/
kkknitter Posted - 03/29/2011 : 03:29:55 AM
I'm also traveling to Europe in a few weeks, but I plan to bring only socks on bamboo needles with an extra set in the suitcase in case a fuss is made. I would not bring expensive circulars. Have fun Ceil.

Kristina

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe