Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Just Getting Started - Beginning to Spin
 spinning alpaca

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Candycej Posted - 06/07/2011 : 08:46:46 AM
I am a new spinner and came back from the Middle Tennessee Fiber Festival with several kinds of wool. I've been told that alpaca and merino are more difficult, but I bought some alpaca anyway. I don't have to do that right away, but was wondering if there is a difference in spinning alpaca. Any hints are welcome. Thanks.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zoomom Posted - 07/13/2012 : 10:14:20 AM
I am a newer spinner, and I found alpaca isn't harder, just different. I agree more twist than wool - the feel of it is different and it comes out of the rolags fluffier and more easily than wool. Wool I find I have to tug on it a bit more to separate it. Try it and have fun!

Hand knit socks rock.
mathiemom Posted - 06/23/2011 : 09:24:34 AM
I agree with Sheila on all points. I'm also a fairly new spinner, but one of the first rovings I spun was a 50/50 blend of Jacob and alpaca. It was very beginner-friendly and made for an easy spin and lovely yarn. Play around with it - that's part of the fun of spinning!

Wendy
Shelia Posted - 06/14/2011 : 05:52:59 AM
Alpaca doesn't have the same type of crimp that wool has, so it will feel and act more "slippery" which may be why you were told it can be more difficult. I don't think of it as difficult, just different. Lots of people learn to spin with alpaca, so it can't be that different or difficult.

Use more twist than you would for wool, and if you find that it's a challenge, try mixing it with wool or spinning from the fold. Depending on the intended use of your yarn, blending with wool may be a good idea anyway, as alpaca can stretch out of shape, or that the final garment can grow due to gravity. Pure alpaca yarn has little or no memory to bounce back to shape as wool does.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe