Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Knitting Magazines
 Interweave Fall 2011

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eldergirl Posted - 07/31/2011 : 7:43:11 PM
Disappoints again. I agreed with most everybody about the Summer issue, and now with the Fall issue, I am disappointed yet again.

One thing that really bugs me is the colors. The same color palette of a soft browny "toast" as the main color, turquoise or teal as the contrast, and some neutral to finish out. This was the same palette shown off and on for years, if you check back, since Eunny became editor.

I love Eunny, was awe=struck by her blog back in the day, but even her own designs have not inspired me lately.

So I am sad that things have declined, but so it is for me. What do you think?

Anna

Life is beautiful.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marjotse Posted - 08/06/2011 : 04:27:36 AM
I agree with you. I went through it and did not feel any excitement at all.... But who knows when projects based on the patterns turn up on ravelry (with some colour involved!) I might discover that some patterns are knit-worthy anyways.
I'm quite disappointed this fall overall, too much bulky, drop-shoulder based design going on...it is a good thing that Twist maintains its high standard!

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
eldergirl Posted - 08/05/2011 : 5:28:52 PM
But I posted my first post by just opening my mouth and letting a fly into my brain!

And is it Harrisville Mill? My magazine is upstairs, and I am too lazy to look it up.

Anna

Life is beautiful.
eldergirl Posted - 08/05/2011 : 5:26:13 PM
Well, on a second and more thorough reading, I will have to pull back on about half of my disappointment.

I was educated somewhat by the article on Shetland Wool: didn't know and was glad to learn about Harrisville Mill's wool, and other things.

The designs are a bit flat, but several of them are worth a second and third look, even a partial commitment.

This happens to me often with a new knitting magazine: I will skim through it, pronounce it to be a dead loss, and then spend a nice "before bedtime" read with it, and surprise! ......
its much better than I first thought !

Who knew?

Anna

Life is beautiful.
knitree Posted - 08/03/2011 : 3:54:53 PM
My issue came with the full-page warning that this was the last of my subscription. I've subscribed for years and years, but am going to let it lapse. Not because this issue is bad. I actually like several things, including Strobius Pullover, Dahlia Cardi, Hex Mesh Stockings, and both the Fern Lace & Wheel Lace wraps. That is a lot for me. I agree many of the colors are still off. But I liked the models more, and some of the hints are helpful/interesting. My problem is I'm on the fence about IK these days and we are moving to a warmer climate, so I will probably not need mittens, bulky sweaters, and the like. I'm going to give it a rest and can come back if I miss it.

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
lamknits Posted - 08/01/2011 : 3:37:03 PM
Blech! Hand knit shrouds would be more exciting than the designs in this issue. The articles are no better -- there is no zing in what should be the best issue of the year. The only things of interest were the advertisements. I am seriously questioning why I should continue to suscribe to this magazine which used to be the best of the knitting mag crowd. Very disappointing.
kbshee Posted - 08/01/2011 : 08:44:42 AM
I like the cover look but nothing else in the magazine got me at all excited. Sad, because Fall is usually the best issue of the year for IK. What is UP with them??

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Luann Posted - 08/01/2011 : 08:20:54 AM
I liked it more than I have liked any of the recent issues, I must say. I have added the Honeycomb Jacket to my queue - I've had a bag of Jo Sharp Silk Road Tweed in my stash for ages and this looks like the perfect thing to use it for. FWIW my yarn is blue not "toast" as Anna so aptly has dubbed many of the color choices!

I definitely found myself trying to imagine the patterns I like in more interesting colors, or in less muddled yarns. Both the True North mittens and the Canyon cardigan seem like bad yarn/pattern matches to me. I love the Kelmscott throw, but not in those colors. And the Dahlia cardigan is lovely.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
suecq Posted - 08/01/2011 : 07:44:24 AM
I agree - nothing for me in this issue.
rosir Posted - 07/31/2011 : 8:54:11 PM
The issue just seems so "flat". Nothing for me either, Anna. Sad

Rosi

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.