Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Rusty Drum Carder Wires

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lisaandjo Posted - 09/01/2011 : 04:03:27 AM
I've been lucky borrowing a friends drum carder for a number of years on and off, The family have moved to a warmer climate, 2 days drive from us, Most inconsiderate, We both have spare rooms, if it's too hot in the coming summer, they'll be back, for a week or six, next winter we'll be basking in sun and sea, Sorry must not ramble on!
I now need a drum carder, spotted one, made in New Zealand some years back, I have had a look and found the Carding Cloth Wires, & staples attaching the cloth are rusted, Would any of your experienced carders consider the rust a problem in carding, I've never seen it before,
If the rust may cause a problem, can you suggest any way to make it suitable?? Why do problems occur, when the dollars are thinnest??... ... was said to have Quality Carding Cloth!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hotzcatz Posted - 03/21/2012 : 12:59:22 AM
A bit of grease would keep the steel wires from rusting, though. Just a hint of lanolin would help the wires not rust, but not enough to be sticky. At least, in our humidity, that's what I do with just about anything metal that doesn't have a coat of paint on it. Since it's already rusted once, it's gonna try to do it again unless there is some sort of coating on the wires. Maybe the carder is in a new environment that is dryer now.
Ceil Posted - 03/19/2012 : 9:08:48 PM
It's my understanding that grease of any kind is NOT a good thing for carders.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
hotzcatz Posted - 03/19/2012 : 4:20:02 PM
Can you try carding steel wool to clean the wires? Replacing the carding cloth is about the same price as buying a new drum carder. If it is just a bit of surface rust, then steel wool and a bit of grease wool might clean them up. I'd be tempted to mist them with Ospho to halt the rusting, then run fine steel wool through the carder to clean it, then grease wool to coat the tines so they don't rust up again.
robinstephanie Posted - 09/07/2011 : 07:16:09 AM
Booo! I'm glad you were able to test before purchasing. Hope you find a new carder soon.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
lisaandjo Posted - 09/06/2011 : 7:21:49 PM
Thanks for your response, I carded some corridale, and had lots of trouble getting the fibre off the wires, cleaned off residual fibres, very difficult, tried a little 50/50 alpaca and super fine merino, same results with more fibres retained on the wires. Wet both test pieces with water and a little detergent, wrug out and laid on a rack in the sun, rust stains started quite quickly.
Decision made, keep look'n.
Thanks for your input
robinstephanie Posted - 09/01/2011 : 08:20:37 AM
I don't know much about drum carders, lisaandjo, but I do know that there's a good possibility that the rust may come off the carder wires, directly onto your wool. Also, rust causes degeneration of the metal, lessens its integrity and tensile strength. The carder probably hasn't been used in a long time (long enough to rust, anyway) and I wouldn't be surprised to see the wires begin to break once that carder goes to work. Will they let you run a sample? Say on some really kinky, coarse white wool?

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe