Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Using Kool-Aid
 Kool-Aid and moths

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 09/05/2011 : 3:26:14 PM
OK, so I'm told that soiled wool attracts moths.

My dyed handspun still smells like Cherry Kool-Aid. Does this mean it will attract moths because they sense it is "soiled"? (Even though I rinsed it.)

And will eucalyptus or lavender Eucalan ward off the little beasties?

Thanks!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lella Posted - 09/26/2011 : 8:43:24 PM
Yay! What a nice crop you have. I want to let it naturalize in the back yard. Hmm. I wonder if DH would notice?

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Ceil Posted - 09/20/2011 : 8:08:05 PM
Guess what! We've had lavender growing in our front yard, and today I harvested a whole bunch of it! Left it in a container and put it in the bag with the dyed homespun. Smelling good so far......

Ceil
lella Posted - 09/17/2011 : 1:55:22 PM
yes a glug, and I've never used kool aid, only Wilton for fabric and fiber. I've done pot dying, of rovings and of spun, and used jello, yes it works too. And I've used a crockpot set on high with cold water, wet yarn, vinegar and just let it cook up all the dye, and cool down overnight.

I am totally enthralled with trying kool aid dyes, and with solar dyeing. Wow! love the idea!

Ceil, I have never had a problem with moths being attracted even to the Jello dyed yarn, and that smelled sweetly for years.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
yarnlover Posted - 09/14/2011 : 05:22:15 AM
With Wilton's, just white vinegar. How much? A "glug." I don't know if there is a formula for how much acid, but when I pour, it's probably about half cup to the water in the shoe-box size bin, which may be anywhere from half to three quarters full. I have a friend who uses much less, and her wool dyes just as well. I just feel safer with a little more.

If you use gaywool dyes, everything is in the bottle, but still I put a tiny bit of vinegar - habit, I guess.

See My Stuff: Here

lacylaine Posted - 09/13/2011 : 7:42:41 PM
Thanks yarnlover, that would never have occurred to me. Do you use a mordant to fix the colors?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl; black helmet liner

yarnlover Posted - 09/12/2011 : 05:20:59 AM
Hi,

Yes, the Wiltons icing dye comes in those little jars and the color is very thick, like glue.

I like to play around with this, so I have mixed the color in water, usually a couple of ounces of water, and add the Wiltons til I like the color. A little goes a long way, but add it according to how dark you want the finished color.

I don't dye for one consistent color, but rather like to mix it up. When I mix the color into water, I use a big syringe and push the color into a few spots. Then, another color in other spots.

Don't use too much water, I put my wool in and let it soak a bit, then pour off excess water, so it is just to the top of the wool.

I find that locks and yarn seem to absorb the color more easily and the color will migrate enough so that you get a new color on the edges of where the two colors meet. Roving doesn't seem to absorb and migrate the color as much. I have some roving that I dyed last year that has much more white than I thought I would get. Now, I know that I have to actually put color where I want it rather than depending on the migration of color. I was surprised about that as I had assumed that the water would move the color.

This is getting long, but just to add this. Now, most of the time I put the color directly on the wet wool instead of mixing colors. I use wooden chopsticks and just stick them in the color and then touch it to the wet wool. This gives me deeper colors as there isn't much dilution. The color may be darker where you put the color, but it will migrate some.

Whichever way you do it, I learned this from a friend. Pick up the container and look at the bottom to see if there is any color there. If not, lift the wool - I use the chopstick - and put color where it is missing.

I bought a 2 or 3 pound cone of plain, ugly, beige wool yarn at a flea market last year for $3. I skeined up a lot of it and have solar dyed it and learned a lot in the process. I didn't care if my experiments failed, but I must stay that I was happy with how my colors turned out.

I use plastic bins with covers, shoebox size, to solar dye - glass bread size dishes for the microwave. That size works well for me, but any size would do. I also "processed" my wool in the oven one time and that worked out well, but the microwave is faster. The sun is easier - no mess in the kitchen.

lacylaine Posted - 09/11/2011 : 10:01:20 PM
Yarnlover, are you talking about the little pots of dye that look like thick icing? Do you dissolve this in hot water? I never would have guessed they could be used this way.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl; black helmet liner

yarnlover Posted - 09/06/2011 : 9:09:09 PM
If you try the Wilton's you can dye it in the microwave in a glass container. Usually takes about 10 minutes on high. I set on high for 5 minutes, then check to see if the water is clear, if not, go for another 5 minutes. Let it cool until you can stand the heat of the water and rinse in water of same temp. Or let it cool to room temp, but I'm usually too impatient for that. Normally there is little to no run-off of color, but if the wool is dark and there is still color in the water, I pull the wool out and put new wool in.

I dyed some fleece and yarn the past weekend using gaywool dyes. These have everything included in the powder, but I still added a little bit of vinegar to the water, and I set the bins out in the sun. Got some very nice color, and used 2-3 different colors in the same bin. The color stays in place on the wool even if the water looks like one color. I ended up with locks of many colors, some of the color mixed a little, so got a new shade of green when the blue and green came together at the edges. Also dyed some varigated yarn.

Wilton's can give dark colors, and the gaywool dye also, but there is a difference in the tones. I find both of these very easy to use and lots of fun playing with color. Plus, Wilton's is cheap and easy to find at Michaels, or JoAnns. A little goes pretty far.

Ceil Posted - 09/06/2011 : 8:51:34 PM
Wilton cake icing dyes? Amazing! I like the idea of kitchen-safe dyes, although I do have separate "cooking" equipment. I bought a SS 2.5 gal pot at a thrift shop for $7, and a meat serving fork for 45 cents.

I will say that a bee was attracted to the yarn while I was winding it into balls outside.....Anyway, I will keep an eye out.

Ceil
yarnlover Posted - 09/05/2011 : 3:47:08 PM
Hi Ceil,

It's been a while since I dyed with kool-aid, but as I remember the scent goes away over time, and not that long. I dyed in the microwave and my kitchen smelled like a number of fruity concoctions for some time, maybe a day or two, but eventually, it all disipated, from house and yarn.

I don't know about it attracting critters, I didn't have a problem.

Now I'm using Wilton cake icing dyes if I want to use kitchen safe dyes. It has no smell, is stronger than kool-aid in color, and dyes much like kool-aid with some vinegar for acidity. I dyed a bunch of wool and yarn this summer using solar power. As long as it is a sunny day, it doesn't even have to be very hot. And if the dye isn't absorbed at the end of the day, I just leave the wool out to cool and then re-heat in tomorrow's sunshine.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe