Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Everyday objects become great knitting gadgets!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 10/06/2011 : 11:27:57 AM
1: narrow mesh tubes in which heads of garlic are packaged. These are great yarn bras, of course, but the other day, I needed to leave a small ball hanging at the shoulder edge of the sweater for bind-off that couldn’t be used until the other side of the shoulder could be used. I:

pinned the tube shut in the middle of one end with a safety-pin-type stitch marker;

put the yarn ball in the “bag”;

pinned the top of the tube shut AND to the sweater with another stitch marker; and

took off the first stitch marker to repin through the sweater fabric.

The bag stays in place and yarn won’t run around while you continue knitting (or crocheting).

2: Corks

I have a horizontal closet pole where I hang bags of yarn for upcoming projects. Thread one handle throuugh the other around the pole and then stick a cork through the handle loop sticking out.

I do the same thing when hanging wet skeins of yarn outside to dry. Our porch swing is supported by chains, so I thread one of the waste-yarn loops surrounding the skein through a chain link, and then slide a cork into the loop on the other side of the link.

HTH,

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillstreetmama Posted - 10/26/2012 : 04:05:13 AM
I bought - in the art supply aisle - a little ceramic "dish" shaped kind of like a flower. I believe it's meant for mixing paint colors, but I have it on the table by where I knit, and each little section holds stitch markers, pins, and bits and bobs of stuff I reach for while knitting.

An empty nut can, covered with a knit tube, is my waste basket. The knitted cover makes it pretty enough to leave out, and it's a nice size to hold yarn scraps.

Jan
LRiff Posted - 10/22/2012 : 4:54:51 PM
Good ideas! I use tons of ziplocks... Little snack sized for small tools, all the way up to 2 gallon sized or bigger for storing yarn. I've also used giant bags to keep balls together when working with multiple colors. I can't work from a pattern without my post-it notes tho!! I use them to keep my place in the pattern, like a bookmark that can't blow away
It's also good for jotting down notes!
Ceil Posted - 10/19/2012 : 9:02:30 PM
WOW, you folks are cooking with this thread! I'll have to try the M&Ms for row counting.

So here is another: a plain piece of white paper. Why? Put it under your knitting when you need to pu&k, and the white will show through so you can see where to insert the needle next. (Um, I don't know what you'll use when the yarn is white--maybe a >slightly< darker color?)

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
lucybug Posted - 10/17/2012 : 07:54:26 AM
I LOVE the idea of using M&Ms for row counting, but have to say that martinis might cause some unexpected results.

I use big safety pins as stitch holders when I have just a few stitches. Does anyone else have an issue with the stitch holders you buy coming unfastened and dumping stitches? Sometimes I use waste yarn to hold a large number of stitches. I also use rubberbands to hold my circular needles together when I'm not knitting. I've found the ones you buy fall off. Hmmm - is there a pattern here?
Grand-moogi Posted - 10/07/2012 : 06:59:57 AM
Mars Bars? Martinis?

I knit a hug into every stitch
robinstephanie Posted - 10/04/2012 : 09:01:33 AM
What I like best about Jaymeknits' idea is its flexibility. Lemonheads? Smarties? Jujubes? Sure!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Grand-moogi Posted - 10/04/2012 : 07:29:37 AM
Wow Patty that last idea is also a most excellent one. It would also hold the tail tidy while the piece is being blocked. I hate the way the tail gets all caught up when you wash the article as part of blocking.

pqpatch Posted - 10/04/2012 : 06:39:34 AM
Those plastic squares used to close bread bags and such make great holders for the yarn tail at the beginning of a project so it is isn't dangling. Just wrap around till it is almost used up and put the yarn through the little circle. When you are ready to use it for seaming just unwind from the plastic clip.

Patty

http://www.twistedsticks.etsy.com
Consuelo Posted - 09/11/2012 : 10:05:37 AM
jaymeKnits, that is the absolute best row counter I've ever heard of!!!!!!! I LOVE M&MS and they would be a great incentive to keep on knitting. Awesome.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Grand-moogi Posted - 09/10/2012 : 06:24:15 AM
Oh wow! jaymeKnits! That will go down in history as the knitting hint to beat all knitting hints. I bow down before you.
And of course calories would not count when they are an important knitting tool.
Now I gotta go tell my daughter that one. And ring up all my knitting friends. It is 11.22 pm here but this is too important to let a minor thing like the time of night stop me from passing it on.
Thankyou. Oooops I better go buy M&Ms as well.

jaymeKnits Posted - 09/09/2012 : 1:36:18 PM
Not exactly every day...Rubber cords, the kind you find next to the big kids beads at the craft store are great for stitch holders. They are hollow so I stick it over the tip of my needle and slide the stitches on, you can tie it in a knot, try on your projects, stretch out your lace etc. when you need it back on the needles you just slide it back on.

I also love my late night row counters. I use M&Ms, dark chocolate. Put the number of rows between decreases or what ever in a bowl and eat one every time you start a row. When you are out of candy you do what you need to do on the row and refill your bowl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Grand-moogi Posted - 09/09/2012 : 08:07:21 AM
What a great thread! Some terrific ideas here. When I am knitting from a few balls at once, as I do when knitting slippers, I put the balls in a bowl on the floor near my chair. That stops them from rolling around and getting tangled.

Consuelo Posted - 09/08/2012 : 06:56:47 AM
Not exactly a knitting trinket but lately I see that sheets and pillow cases come in these small cloth bags with snaps. I took one from sheets, stitched a ribbon on the top to make a handle and it's a great bag for tiny projects. I'm working on the Beekeepers Quilt http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-beekeepers-quilt as a filler project and it's great for that. Six hexagons down, 494 left to go!!!

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
ikkivan Posted - 09/06/2012 : 06:54:58 AM
This has undoubtedly been covered before, but I consider plain old emery boards a necessity for knitting and have at least one in every knitting bag and with my "tools" by my knitting chair. The number one reason I need them at hand is for rough places around my fingernails that catch on yarn. Since it seems I wash my hands a zillion times each day because of our outdoor "farm" life, I ALWAYS deal with ragged spots where my nails meet my fingers, ragged cuticles, etc. (my hands will never star in a knitting video!).

I have used the fine side of an emery board to smooth a rough spot on needles and joins, as well as "glitches" on stitch markers, especially on the locking plastic ones that often have a point where they break out of the mold (or something akin to that).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
One Stitch at a Time Posted - 10/21/2011 : 06:31:23 AM
Dropped a stitch but can't fix it that moment? Use a bobby pin to secure it in place until you are ready to fix.

I always keep a couple with my knitting tools- just in case!

Nanci
neraksenrab Posted - 10/21/2011 : 05:44:32 AM
Green tea mint tins from Trader Joes become holders for stitch markers, at Walmart the tiniest "plastic" colored hair bands for children are great stitch markers (avoid the rubber ones which don't work as well); in a pinch, straws from Starbucks have been sliced into emergency stitch markers. Karen
ikkivan Posted - 10/20/2011 : 12:58:41 PM
This is probably not an "everyday" object for some folks, but because we raise livestock, syringes for giving shots are common items (perhaps also for some folks with medical conditions requiring at-home injections). Some syringes are packaged in plastic tubes with caps on the end; these are handy for storing small items in several of my take-along knitting bags. In a pocket of my sock bag is one that holds several stitch markers, yarn needles, a small cable needle, and a short crochet hook.

The one-use syringes holding microchips (for animal ID) come in a plastic tube (about 3 inches long) with both ends open ... I keep several of these handy through which I thread yarns when I am knitting with several strands as one. Keeps them feeding from their respective balls evenly.

And you know those little flat plastic tabs that hold bread bags closed? I have been known to use those for yarn bobbins.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe