Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Greyhound

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
C_shadowolf Posted - 01/02/2012 : 6:03:25 PM
In 2009 I traveled to Idaho from Tennessee and I took my knitting along as I was working on a large shawl. Elizabeth Zimmermann's Pie are Squared Shawl. I had it in a tote bag with my full set of Denise Interchangeables. I had a problem in Salt Lake City, Utah with the Security Agent. He checked my bag and had an "Ah Hah" look on his face when he saw my needles and knitting. I spoke up and said there were no regulations posted on the greyhound website disallowing plastic needles and pulled out the printed copy and stated that they were approved by TSA for plane flights and he made an unintelligible noise in his throat and stuck it all back in the bag and let me through. His countenance could have frozen boiling water on contact, but he let me on the bus with them. He was just being mean. So, I suggest having a printed copy of regulations on you as it might keep you from having your needles confiscated by TSA should an individual agent single you out for scrutiny just because they can.

Peace and Blessings
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lynne604 Posted - 01/16/2014 : 10:22:25 AM
Just in case, I'm going to have a self-addressed stamped envelope with me next time I fly, in case my needles are confiscated. At least I can mail them home.
Rwats2 Posted - 01/10/2014 : 8:34:27 PM
I am so sorry that you had to go through all that
Margie Posted - 11/04/2013 : 9:15:47 PM
Five years ago, when my Hearing Dog and I were a new team, we went to get my mother at the airport. Oh but one agent almost did a backward dance, hands raised (62 lb black lab). Afraid of dogs I assume. I've read that for some reason black dogs are even scarier. ???

They wanted me to take her vest off -- I said no, but I'll empty the pockets and you can check that there is nothing more. The dear folk made me go thru the "is she hiding anything we missed?" baars and then my dog. She set off the beeper because, amazingly, she is/was wearing metal dog tags. Duh ...

Working with the public is the best and the worst and it sounds like all the above folk have run into the worst. Sorry to hear that. Hugs and wags from us, think happy stitches and projects to come. And hope they get stuck in traffic on the way home having made you miss your plane.

Almost makes one want to use metal knitting needles for other purposes ...

M&M

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

mrssuem Posted - 01/06/2013 : 6:18:20 PM
Babsy that's why TSA really stands for "Thousands Standing Around".
Babsy Posted - 01/03/2013 : 09:09:40 AM
Knittingrunner, I feel your pain. TSA agents do not care if you miss your plane at all--at least several I have encountered. Once, I did miss my plane entirely because the line was so long, and they only had one agent checking ID. The first class line was open but even after explaining my flight was about to leave, I was not permitted to use that security line. When I finally got to the agent, after a 45 minute wait in line, and mentioned it (much more politely than I felt was necessary!!!) I got no response. Not a glance, not a grunt, not an apology. I guess that is a tough job and they have many rules to follow, but a quick "I'm sorry" would have been nice. Meanwhile, while in the very long line, other agents were passing out notes to hand it regarding the long wait! Why couldn't they have been checking ID instead??? TSA really needs to upgrade its policies and customer service training.
knittingrunner Posted - 01/12/2012 : 05:34:33 AM
Oh, SLC!
On my way home from vacation last March I had a TSA agent passing my sock knitting through X-ray repeatedly. When he finally allowed me to help him identify the object it turned out to be my Clover yarn cutting disk; something I've flown with all over the US and Canada. He let me go with it but offered no apologies for almost causing me to miss my flight.

Bike, Bike, Bike!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
minh Posted - 01/11/2012 : 8:57:38 PM
I said goodbye to three pairs of Addi needles at the Charles de Gaulle Paris airport a few weeks ago, even though I went through the exact same security gates with the same needles two weeks prior.

I should have put two pairs in my checked luggage and taken my chance with the third pair but it was a long flight and I thought I would finish a shawl and start a pair of socks. From now on, I am only flying with bamboo needles and putting the metal ones in my checked luggage.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
PBELKNAP Posted - 01/03/2012 : 3:43:21 PM
How can they be so snotty? It seems like things right and left are banned, and you have to go through more and more hoops to get on a plane...how can anyone expect people to keep up?

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Shalee Posted - 01/03/2012 : 12:14:58 AM
I had an agent at the SLC airport get mouthy at me last June. It wasn't my knitting, it was my "liquids". I didn't know you are supposed to take them out of your carry on and put them in a bin to go through security separately! I apologized profusely, he scouled at me and let me through. I just figured he was having a bad day! This had been my 6th airport with the same bags and items in 3 weeks. You are right, it just depends on the TSA agent.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe