Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 Shrinking problem Felted Clogs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueNuthatch Posted - 01/09/2012 : 5:56:46 PM
A few years ago I made a pair of felted clogs for myself out of Lamb's Pride bulky and they came out perfect. I tried to make some last month, size 13 and 12 out of Lamb's Pride Bulky (Lime Aid and grey) and both pair did not shrink even close to adequately. They must be a size 16 or more, both of them and for really swollen feet.
Several people asked if I threw jeans in with them. It's my understanding the jeans add agitation which helps with "felting" nothing to do with shrinking. These felted mostly fine. One pair I even tried to boil which really made them look bad but they still didn't shrink anymore. I'm quite disappointed. As well, I wouldn't know how to proceed if I wanted to make another try, I really was hoping to make a pair at least for my son.
I thought maybe I knit them too tight, though it didn't seem so before hand. They were knit on size 13 needles, so I didn't mess up that way.
The pattern must be right for these large sizes, right? I mean there are success stories, yes?
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anderknit Posted - 01/11/2012 : 08:37:06 AM
For next time, I'd add that it's important to knit at a relatively loose gauge. I was surprised at what a difference that made.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Ceil Posted - 01/09/2012 : 8:11:06 PM
Throw the jeans in, reduce the water amount, add some detergent. You might also try soaking them in a solution of water and baking soda before tossing them in the washer.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe