Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 How do i work this thing?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
robinstephanie Posted - 01/10/2012 : 7:57:24 PM
Hi Folks--I'm working on my first sweater, Cecchetti from Twist Collective. I've knitted the body in the round, and am getting ready to separate the front from the back. The directions say:

"K to 4 stitches before marker. BO 8. Repeat at other marker.
Garment will now be worked back and forth."
And it goes on to give the directions for the front of the sweater.

The instructions above imply there are only two markers, but there are four: two each on the front and the back. Do I follow the instructions for all four markers and complete the round? Or do I move the back stitches onto a stitch holder and proceed with the front?

Thanks!

ps: I'm not even sure why I'm binding off in the first place!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Warokz Posted - 11/09/2012 : 11:40:34 PM
Yes I completely agree with you.
robinstephanie Posted - 01/12/2012 : 03:29:07 AM
I figured it out!! What do you know, insomnia is good for something.

I was writing a note to the designer when I realized I'd missed a line in the pattern that says, "Remove dart markers, leaving side markers intact." Now, if I bind off as indicated I have two armholes, one on each side, instead of one over each of the dart markers on the front. (Don't laugh! I thought that seemed weird.)

So I do complete the round after all, and then go on to shape the front. Phew! Makes total sense now.

Now all I have to do to get back on the straight and narrow is pick out the last half row that I knitted--and bound off--incorrectly. Oh, fun.

Robinsteph

robinstephanie Posted - 01/11/2012 : 10:43:37 AM
Hi guys--Thanks so much for your replies.

One mystery solved: armholes, aka armscye (how do you say that?!). Really glad to have this one answered, as I was about to just continue the instructions for the first half all the way around. Like Clara says, 4 armholes. Well, it would have been amusing, at least.

Anna: I'll do a little search on rav and see if there are any posts there about this part of the instructions. It's a fairly popular pattern, so I have hopes, and I'll apply to Twist. Or maybe just experiment.

Grand-Moogi: It has back darts, front darts, and side markers, so I know where to divide it--but I didn't even think about just leaving it all on the needle and going back and forth. Thanks!

Clara: Yes, Clara, you are correct, two arms. Haven't grown another since I saw you, although do frequently feel like I'd like one. The stitch markers are fairly evenly distributed amongst the stitches, so no enlightenment there. I'll keep seeking.

Now I'm late for work. Blah. Who wants to go to work? Booooo! I want to go back to sleep and then get up and knit all day. Go for a walk. Make a pie. Sigh.

Robinsteph

Clara Posted - 01/11/2012 : 07:49:42 AM
Yup, this is a little odd. You don't want to bind off by every marker or you'd have four armholes. When I saw you in San Mateo, I noted that you only had two arms. (Maybe you had tucked the other two under your sweater? In which case go wild! Add a fifth and sixth armhole for good measure.)

Could you have two pairs of stitch markers on either side of the sweater, and each pair is 8 stitches apart? That'd make sense, although it still could've been written more easily - then you'd just be binding off 16 stitches on either side for the armholes. Just a thought.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Grand-moogi Posted - 01/11/2012 : 02:04:11 AM
Basically you are going to have to divide it into two. One is the front, the other the back. Doesn't matter really where you do this unless it has a fancy pattern.
You don't even have to leave the other stitches on a stitch holder. You can just knit back and forth and ignore them.

I knit a hug into every stitch
eldergirl Posted - 01/10/2012 : 8:28:07 PM
Hi Robinstephanie,

I can help with your last question: You are binding off for the base of the armscye. Or armhole. That is totally understandable.

But the number of markers you have already, and the directions for this current move, seem to be at cross-purposes.

I'd have to see the set-up rows to be sure. So maybe someone who has this pattern can help you with the marker set-up, and now the instructions.

Pattern corrections needed?

Good luck!

Anna

Life is beautiful.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe