Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Calculate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
donnawatk Posted - 02/02/2012 : 04:41:44 AM
I was looking thru a book a co-worker had that was left to her from her grandmother who came from Ireland.She has boxes of old books I had a ball looking. I notice some had the size 40"X60" and weight worsted weight 56oz but not how much to use. How would you calculate how much yarn to buy? I had to say she made a Fisherman's sweater from one of the books that was the best I have seen. I would be hook on cables forever. Donna
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
donnawatk Posted - 02/03/2012 : 05:27:48 AM
I would like to thank you all. I was at the end of my rope I even called the help desk at lion brand and she said she didn't know. I was just about to give the problem to my younger sister who math come to her like taking a deep breathe.Thanks again all of you Donna
Ceil Posted - 02/02/2012 : 10:12:51 PM
See "Knitting in the Old Way" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. She explains in one of the early chapters how wraps per inch help with calculating yarn needs. Obviously, you will need more yarn for a heavily textured Aran sweater than a plain one, but she explains all of that. My husband makes wrapping tools, and it's important to use these on the yarn's terms, not the knitter's!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
eldergirl Posted - 02/02/2012 : 8:44:05 PM
I've had to work this out occasionally, and what I do is

1) Compute ounces to grams.

2) Find out how much yardage in a similar yarn is in a 50 gram skein. (You have to be satisfied with "quick and dirty" results here, but cruise an online yarn store, of go to your LYS and see if they can help.
(I recommend the latter: it leads to more yarn purchases, and stash enhancement!)

3) Now you have how many grams of yarn you have, and a guesstimate of the yardage in a 50 gram ball. (for worsted weight, it is about 100 yds.)

4) Take your yds/50 grams, and figure out how many balls you need for your project!

(I read this over, and it sounds like garble. Hope it helps)

Anna

Life is beautiful.
AuntyNin Posted - 02/02/2012 : 7:44:14 PM
Many older books just say how many ounces of yarn to buy, unfortunately. What I'd do is look around for a similar-sized cabled sweater pattern that lists yardage and buy that much plus about ten percent (because the knitting gremlins will make you run out if you don't buy extra).

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe