Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 Explain question please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sharonknits Posted - 02/02/2012 : 09:10:28 AM
I truly do not understand your latest poll question.....woolen or worsted? And the 30 + percent answering likewise means I am not alone! You are talking about 2 different subjects...woolen is the fiber content, worsted is the size of yarn. What were you TRYING to ask? Thanks, Sharon
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ClimberKnits Posted - 02/05/2012 : 10:50:12 AM
I think that the fact that such a high percent of responders didn't know the difference is also interesting information. Perhaps Clara designed the question purposely just to find out how many of us don't know the difference. As a teacher I try to design questions so that I think that I recognize most of the different responses that my students will give me. I'm almost always surprised at some of the responses that I get. Makes me a better teacher to try to think like my students.
Sharonknits Posted - 02/02/2012 : 11:27:09 AM
Thanks for the explanation. In this context the question makes sense. I'm not a spinner so did not understand. I've been reading and "lurking" on this site for several years, and thoroughly enjoy the info.
llmcguire Posted - 02/02/2012 : 10:31:54 AM
I believe the terms "woolen" and "worsted" in this case refer to how the yarn was spun. Woolen spun yarn is minimally processed prior to spinning allowing the fibers to "jumble" together producing a yarn that is "lofty" and warm, but at the expense of durability. Worsted spun yarns are carded and combed making the fibers lie nice and neat next to each other. This yarn is smooth and durable but without the "loft" and warmth as the woolen-spun yarns. The extra processing of the worsted-spun yarns leads to more waste and more expense that is past onto you, the buyer. I hope this helps, I know these terms can be very confusing in light of all the other meanings. Disclaimer: I am not a spinner, nor do I play one on TV. But I did recently read up on this in my handy-dandy "The Knitter's Book of Yarn" by our very own Queen Bee, page 252.
PS, Welcome to the Forums; you'll love it here!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe