Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Weaving in end after binding off

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HomeJewel Posted - 02/01/2012 : 5:33:13 PM
I recently completed a cowl knit in a circle and bound off in the round. I would like to find a better method of weaving in ends ensuring that the bound-off edge rests nicely next to the stitch which began the round. Right now, there is the last stitch (which is a bit loose - not sure how to remedy this situation, too) and then knot and tail. I want to weave the tail so that the edge looks continuous, not showing an obvious stopping/starting point. Does that make sense?

Do you know of any place that shows how to do a good technique for this? I'm definitely a visual, so diagrams are good!

Thanks in advance!

http://homejewel.blogspot.com/
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yarnlover Posted - 02/09/2012 : 5:53:29 PM
After I weave in enough of the end, I pull the end out for a few inches and trim it a little as I usually don't weave all of it if it is a long tail. Then, using the edge of one scissor blade, I fray the end til it is pretty light and fluffy. Stretch the knitting back to shape which pulls in the frayed end and you won't have a bit of yarn poking itself out of the knitting as it works itself loose. Of course make sure you don't need to undo anything as you'll never find that end.

See My Stuff: Here

hillstreetmama Posted - 02/09/2012 : 4:28:34 PM
I'm with Ceil - that's how I do it, too. Always looks neat.

Jan
jamieknits Posted - 02/09/2012 : 1:53:27 PM
Just like Ciel, I take my end and loop it around the first bound off stitch to look like a continuous chain around the bound off edge. Where I differ though is I then weave the remaining tail in on the inside of the cowl like I'm doing duplicate stitch. The inside looks ever so slightly more bulky, but this is pretty invisible from the outside. The bonus is that if any of the inside of your cowl shows (which happens on all of mine that have been knit circularly at some point), the worked in end will not be obvious.

Jamie
gcelee Posted - 02/09/2012 : 10:43:19 AM
Thanks Churchlady! I'm not the knitter who asked the question but I certainly appreciate the answer. Thank you.

Carol
Knitting is cheaper than therapy and more effective. I enjoy it more and it's good for my blood pressure. What more could you want?
churchlady Posted - 02/09/2012 : 10:28:11 AM
I looked at TECHknitter's blog to see if she had a good explanation of what I usually do with a crochet hook (finish it off like a round of crochet), and she has 3 methods, including a way to do mine with a tapestry needle.

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2009/03/ordinary-chain-bind-off-part-3-binding.html

I hope that came out OK. TECHknitting is a wonderful blog with the best diagrams. You would think there is every possible skill and trick about knitting on it, but she keeps on adding to them! Bind-offs for circular projects are her topic of March 3, 2009.
Ceil Posted - 02/02/2012 : 10:09:58 PM
Well, in a traditional BO you see a chain edge. When I bind off this way, I leave a longish tail, thread it into a yarn needle and take the needle under the first chain loop of the BO. (You can work a couple BO sts and then put a locking stitch marker through this place so that it's easy to see when the BO is finished.) Then take the needle through the last chain so the end winds up on the wrong side. From here, I >darn< the end in so it won't come out, taking the yarn between plies in nearby stitches. I save weaving in ends for felted pieces. Hth!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe