Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Spinning Shetland

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
knisit Posted - 02/19/2012 : 08:10:22 AM
I'm taking part in a spin a long and this months breed is Shetland. I'm a worsted spinner by default. Most things I've read about shetland is that it likes to be spun woolen. I'm guessing there are no hard and fast rules about spinning it, but I'm wondering if any of you have spun it, and what do you think? Woolen or worsted?

I've spun two out of four of my batts woolen and I must admit that its the best woolen spinning I've ever done.

And do you generally get more yardage if you spin woolen?

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kade1301 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 05:02:44 AM
Not really, because I've always known that fibre quality depends on the individual sheep (which is why I prefer working with raw fleece to processed fibre - industrial processing of huge quantities evens out the differences and makes thinks less interesting for me).

Happy spinning, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
knisit Posted - 03/03/2012 : 12:45:47 PM
You want to hear something really interesting? After I spun up all four colours of shetland (all from different sheep) They were all given a bath in the same water. One skein (the lightest colour) really shrunk - or sprang back. They were all wound off onto the same niddy noddy but the lightest one is two inches shorter than the others. Weird or what?
Kade1301 Posted - 02/21/2012 : 08:31:08 AM
Is worsted spinning somehow part of the challenge? Otherwise I (but I'm a rather lazy person) wouldn't bother combing the batt/roving for true worsted spinning but spin the preparation how it wants to be spun. You can always do a "half-worsted", i. e. draft without twist the preparation you have.

Happy spinning! Klara

knisit Posted - 02/20/2012 : 6:01:29 PM
Thanks for the input Klara! I'll look up the title you suggest. The fiber prep that I had was definitely not top. Its a batt of sorts that has been pulled into roving. Its a joy to spin - very well prepared and no predrafting needed at all.

My understanding is that top is always combed too. But again, I'm not terribly experienced. Most of my knowledge has been gleaned from the interwebs and books. Someday, I'll make it to a retreat somewhere.
Kade1301 Posted - 02/20/2012 : 07:41:24 AM
I've had Shetland combed top (my experiences are here under the title "is top always combed?" or similar) and the problem for true worsted spinning is probably the undercoat - assuming you have a double-coated fleece (which is not sure in the case of overseas shetland sheep). But that's not to stop you trying - that's the fun about spinning, isn't it?

Generally I don't spin either true woolen or worsted, so I don't have any yardage comparisons. The only thing I can say ist that the denser the yarn, the more I get on the bobbin...

Happy spinning! Klara

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe