Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 would like to buy a used knitting machine

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lavatera Posted - 03/01/2012 : 8:01:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

I would like to buy a used knitting machine to make baby blankets (about 30 a year) and am wondering what type of machine I should buy.

I would like to make nice warm blankets, so usually use the chunky yarn #5 but can always use the #4 yarn as long as the blankets will still be warm enough for a baby. I live in Canada.

What do you suggest I buy?

I noticed at the store I was at today, that the woman showing me the knitting machine that was plastic, had no trouble replacing one of the needles, but when she used the metal machine, she had trouble replacing a needle. Are the metal machines harder to maintain?

Would a middle gauge be best? If so, would the blankets still be warm enough? I do not knit by hand, but do crochet, which is why I would like to buy a knitting machine.

Any other questions I may have missed are in the welcome section.

I would appreciate your opinions and info.

Thanks so much,

lavatera
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shelia Posted - 03/03/2012 : 09:49:28 AM
The stores around here will give lessons to anyone who wants to pay for them, if you buy a machine from them generally they give a class or two for free but the more intermediate and advanced classes are fee-based.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Shalee Posted - 03/02/2012 : 3:56:45 PM
E-Bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-LK-150-Knitting-Machine-Very-Good-6-5-mm-Mid-Gauge-Ready-/190645678043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2c635e2fdb

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

lavatera Posted - 03/02/2012 : 10:43:42 AM
I did not know I could do that. I thought I had to buy the used knitting machine from the store in order to also get the lessons. I wonder if they would still teach me, or do you know if there are companies that simply give lessons on different used knitting machines?

lavatera
Shelia Posted - 03/02/2012 : 09:50:36 AM
In my area knitting machines come up on Craigslist pretty often, and they are at significant discounts from retail. I would go for a good used machine and save money for lessons on how to use it.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
lavatera Posted - 03/02/2012 : 08:11:15 AM
Thank you so much for all your information. The woman at the store who sells used knitting machines did show me how they worked, and yes, it did seem as if she did zip, zip, zip her way through using it while I was there. She did say that I would get a 1 hour lesson if I did buy one,but other than saying that the plastic one could possible wear down sooner, that it all I know about them.

I was wondering if one of the plastic teeth (for lack of a better word) broke, what would I do, would I need to replace the whole board, or is it possible to have the one plastic tooth replaced. I think it would probably only break if something fell on it, but I would to know, if possible.

Thanks so much for all your info.

lavatera

lavatera
Shalee Posted - 03/01/2012 : 10:25:49 PM
You might want to go to: www.knittingmachines@yahoogroups.com" target="_blank">www.knittingmachines@yahoogroups.com

They could probably give you more insight.

Please realize that you don't just sit down and zip, zip, zip out a baby blanket. There is more to the learning curve than that. The woman that showed you the machine should have stressed lessons and explained the difference between the plastic and metal machines. Maybe she didn't feel you were serious. The plastic machine is a good machine, don't get me wrong, but a metal machine is more durable. Both are expensive.

I did see a bulky Toyota, with ribber, on e-bay a couple of weeks ago that looked great and only had an hour to go on the bidding. I was very tempted! My first machine was a Toyota. They are no longer being manufactured and I figured the one on e-bay was at least 30 years old.

A knitting machine is a sizable investment, even used. I have already invested over $2,000.00 in this year's Christmas present to myself, a new Silver Reed mid size SK-280 machine with ribber.

There are other machines on the market. Look around. Talk to people that have machines. Don't be in a rush. I believe the web address that would give you some insights into maintaining knitting machines is www.knittsings.com

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe