Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Bulky or Chunky Machines
 My scarf has curled up

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lavatera Posted - 03/21/2012 : 1:58:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

I did make a nice pink scarf, but it has really curled up a lot. What should I do? I did steam iron it on both sides, using a facecloth to protect the scarf, but am wondering if the curl will come back.

I want to give it away to someone, who will not have access to fabric relaxers, etc. I have not used a fabric relaxer on it yet, and even if I do, the person I am giving it to, will not be able to use fabric relaxers once it is given to them. What do you think I should do?

Also, how can I prevent this problem in the first place next time?

I would appreaciate any info.

Thank you so much,

lavatera
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lavatera Posted - 03/22/2012 : 08:30:12 AM
Thank you for responding to my question.

It is made from yarn that is 70% Acrylic, and 30% Wool. I did steam it with my iron, covering the scarf with a facecloth while steaming it to protect it. I did it on both sides and then it was fine. Since I am going to be giving it away, I also washed it, and put it in the dryer just as the directions on the yarn said to, but yes, it did curl up again. I was going to crochet the ends and add some fringe to it, but now I am not sure what to do. Yes, it did kill the yarn in that it does not have the bounce or look that it did before.

Is the yarn too weak now to undo the scarf and reuse again using a different stitch that hopefully will not roll as much?

I used the Bouquet Spindlecraft belmore Chunky Weight yarn that is double waxed as it says it prevents snagging.

Yes, I wanted to give things I made away to an orphanage, however, I know that they will not be able to take the time to steam things over again.

Does everything made on a knitting machine curl? I do not know how to knit, only to crochet a bit.

What stitch or stitches do not curl? Since I have the punch card, I can set it to the stich you suggest and hopefully that will work.

Please let me know what you think I should do.

Thank you so much.

lavatera
NastiJ Posted - 03/21/2012 : 7:06:25 PM
Knitting machines produce stockinette (unless you are willing to do extensive hand manipulation during the knitting). Stockinette rolls - that's just the nature of the beast. Knitting more loosely (using a smaller gauge yarn, for example) will yield less rolling, but a "hole-ier" fabric - not sure how this would affect the looks/usefulness of your item. Another technique is to crochet an edging on the item. What kind of yarn is it? If it's a synthetic (acrylic or the like) you can "kill" the yarn by steaming it. That will be a permanent solution; if you are using a natural yarn, you can block it but it will roll again when it's washed.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe