Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Blue Sky Alpacas Techno

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 08/17/2011 : 6:54:51 PM
So it looks for all the world like a singles. And it's soft, succulent, totally inviting.

But it you peel the yarn apart, you'll discover...work with me...that the yarn is actually made from a very fine silk mesh (basically a knitted I-cord) into which baby alpaca fibers have been blown.

Will the miracles of modern spinning never cease?

Actually, what's nice about this yarn is that it uses high-tech novelty techniques on natural fibers. Even if it has a little, um, pilling issue.

Here's the review, and here's the pattern that this yarn inspired.

Happy reading!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
imamshua Posted - 04/06/2012 : 3:43:36 PM
Silk grows, also

Sally

If you think you're too small to be effective you have never been in bed with a mosquito - Bette Reese
llmcguire Posted - 04/06/2012 : 07:30:16 AM
Oh, so sorry this is happening to you. I remember reading that garments made with alpaca tend to grow/lengthen. Techno being made with baby alpace would sort of make sense that it too would grow. Have you tried to soak and block back into shape? I don't know if this would work, but it might be worth trying, yes?
mrsbourg Posted - 04/05/2012 : 07:41:27 AM
Beware -- the fabric stretches! I'm not highly knowledgable about behavior of yarns (though this experience has taught me I need to learn), so maybe wiser knitters would be aware and ready. I was not! I made the Shadow Capelet pattern offered for free from Blue Sky, so it was actually written for this yarn. If I were to do it again I would definitely decrease the number of stitches, or use smaller needles or something! After wearing my beautiful, soft, warm garment since November, I am now struggling to corral it back to a wearable state.

LB from central PA
churchlady Posted - 08/18/2011 : 07:49:09 AM
When Clara is talking about a synthetic novelty yarn made like this, I know just what she is talking about. I have a sweater's worth of Gedifra's "Samina" which is a similar yarn with a nylon net cylinder instead of silk, enclosing a poofy merinosingles type yarn. I bought it because of the colour contrast between the olive nylon and the orange merino, but other colours are more unicolour metallic looking. It's soft and cushy, but not as baby-wonderful as Techno sounds. More practical for clothing.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe