Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Movies / Articles / Celebrities / Books / News
 Question about books: 'traditional' or 'ebook'

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kbshee Posted - 05/26/2012 : 9:06:51 PM
For those of you who read some or all of your books on an e-reader, I'm wondering how you decide which books to read on the e-reader and which to read in a traditional (hard or soft cover) format. I've had my Kindle for about 4 months, and I find that certain books I must, must, must have as a 'real' book (most recently, State of Wonder by Ann Patchett). Others, like cozies and knitting mysteries, I'm fine (and actually prefer) the ebook. How about you?

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
slaggyc Posted - 06/06/2012 : 5:06:11 PM
Just ran into my first problem with my Kindle- didn't plan ahead and it ran out of battery on me! Luckily, once you charge it, it lasts quite a while. Lesson learned!

Slaggyc
http://wheresmyverve.blogspot.com/
PBELKNAP Posted - 06/06/2012 : 07:22:28 AM
I like the fact that you can enlarge the font, too! I find it especially useful at the gym, depending on how far away the Nook or Kindle is from me on an exercise machine.

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
hillstreetmama Posted - 06/05/2012 : 6:54:26 PM
I've had my Kindle for about 2 years and have over 150 books on it (I don't really know, but there are 139 books in my archive alone). The only disadvantage I've ever found is if you want to page back and check something - a map, a family tree, etc. - it's hard to go back and forth.

I'm one of those people who will re-read books multiple times, so it's really nice having them on hand. I like to try new authors when they have the 99-cent, or $1.99 books. I've often been pleasently surprised.

The absolute best thing about my Kindle is that every book can be a large print book. I don't really need it as large as traditional "large print", but I do have poor eyesight, and enlarging the font - especially when I'm tired - has been a godsend.

Magazines, especially knitting or any craft - only paper for me! I want to fold the cover back and look at the color pictures while I follow the pattern.

Jan
slaggyc Posted - 06/04/2012 : 10:41:02 PM
Good topic! I've had my Kindle about 5 months and do love it. I really thought I wouldn't though. It's been a lifesaver when traveling. I know I always have a book with me. The only thing that I don't like about it is finishing a book. It just kind of ends. I miss holding the actual book and closing it. I know- weird.

Slaggyc
http://wheresmyverve.blogspot.com/
PBELKNAP Posted - 06/04/2012 : 06:35:12 AM
I read just about everything on my Nook and Kindle now! The only thing I don't really like to have on there are knitting and crocheting books and magazines as, like people have said, it's just easier to be able to thumb through them, highlight things, scribble, etc. I have put individual pdf pattern files on for patterns where extensive marking-up isn't necessary.

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Nanaknit Posted - 06/02/2012 : 1:11:42 PM
I love my Kindle Fire and read it almost exclusively. The exception is reference or knitting books. Those I still prefer in tradition book format. It is easier to locate specific pages or subjects in a regular book and I never work from the original knitting pattern in a knitting book.

Linda

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
phlame Posted - 06/02/2012 : 10:44:13 AM
Kim...since you have a Kindle, you can download free samples of the books from Amazon to try them out and see if they are to your liking...a money saver right there!
As for reading traditional, I have gotten so used to the Kindle that I find it more difficult to handle a traditional book. I have no hang-ups about giving them up for more modern technology.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...I'm fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

knittingrunner Posted - 05/30/2012 : 12:39:39 PM
I find myself reading a lot more since acquiring my Nook color. One selling point was the ability to borrow e-books from the library, though I've yet to do so in over a year of ownership.

I have a knitting pattern or 2 on the device, but I don't anticipate downloading a book of patterns or cooking recipes.

The Nook has reduced the number of 'fluff' books I purchase at airports - the e-books are cheaper and I feel less guilty for purchasing something I don't want to hang onto and would give away or donate.

I do miss being able to share a good book with anyone, not just folks with Nooks!

Bike, Knit, Bike!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
EmEm Posted - 05/29/2012 : 07:59:02 AM
Good topic! Like Anna (eldergirl), I have made a few impulse purchases. But luckily, they did not break the bank. I read a combination of library, magazines, novels and pattern books with ebook. I totally prefer owning the magazine or book, but I do not have the room to have all of them so my reader has come in handy. I also like the fact that I am not using part of another forest sometimes. But the thing I like best is being able to take as many books or magazines with me when I travel. I sometimes travel for extended lengths of time and there is no way I could bring them all. I like to be able to shop for a new knitting project if I am traveling and having the entire pattern book with me allows me to make my best choices. I often copied a pattern and any stitch references I needed, but the paper shuffling wasn't always easy on a plane or train. It took a little time to use the bookmarks and highlighting to my best advantage, but it does get easier. I also like being able to magnify sections. Now all I need is a page with each book so that I can get the author's signature on my screen if I ever run into them.
Sara Sue Posted - 05/28/2012 : 08:58:30 AM
A good place for cheap and free ebooks in all genres is dailycheapreads.com.
Panhandle Jane Posted - 05/28/2012 : 06:05:36 AM
I find that I read almost everything on an ereader. I have not found a Bible program that I like, and I have not yet downloaded a book of knitting patterns. I think that it would be difficult to read a textbook on my old Kindle2 because the highlight function is rather clunky, but on my Nook Color, I could handle it just fine. I live in a very small town, and I have a source for ebooks through my local public library (rather limited) and my membership to the Free Library of Philadelphia. Those, along with the audiobooks available from both sites and the free or cheap books available from Kindle and Barnes and Noble, keep me in reading material most of the time. I have bought very few ebooks at a "regular" price. More money for yarn!

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

eldergirl Posted - 05/27/2012 : 8:01:18 PM
I am a new Kindle owner, and find I am using it for sort of "in between" stuff. I agree with Sara Sue about needing to have the book, if it is important non'fiction or beloved fiction (Jane Austin, etc(.
I have lately been reading Bernard Cornwell's "Arthur" series, and I liked it so much, I did something that shocked me!
I finished the last book (of three) late one night, and liked the series so much, (I was probably still in Merlin's "enchantment"), that I went straight to the wireless, went to their store, and bought the "King Alfred" series (four books). ]
That was not sensible. Impulse buy, no checking of my funds, late at night, brain somewhere in Broceliande or Avalon, and wifi set permanently on.
Too easy! Amazon made it too easy!
Anyway, although I know Cornwell writes semi-fiction, well-researched stuff, I feel I know a bit more about the eras, but I need to get a grip on this late night "unconscious purchasing!"
Has anyone else have this kind of a learning curve with an e-reader?

Cheers,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
La galloise Posted - 05/27/2012 : 1:38:35 PM
I like my Kindle for traveling.
Mostly like Sarah Sue it's light stuff........but for "real" reading books every time
Sara Sue Posted - 05/27/2012 : 08:56:49 AM
I read "light" books on my kindle or ipad. Romances, comedy, popular fiction, etc. - the sort of thing I read when I'm "brain dead". My passion is natural history and science. Those I have to have the "book". My son, whose profession is forestry, borrows (steals) from my library on a regular basis but when I see the book at his house, I just borrow (steal) it back. However, the library is beginning to overwhelm the space and I may be forced to go all "electronic".
yarnlover Posted - 05/27/2012 : 08:52:37 AM
I mostly use my Nook to borrow books from the library, but for any I'd purchase, the only ones I'd put on the Nook are casual reading. I have several knitting and embroidery books and can't imagine using them on an e-reader. Even with a casual book I sometimes miss the ability to flip back a few pages to remind myslef of who a certain character is - I know you can do that on the readers, but I don't find it as convenient.

But I love the fact that I can borrow books from the library from the comfort of home. The only drawback is only 14 days to read it, though I've found that even after the 14 days, as long as I don't change what I am reading, I can finish the book. Once I close it, no luck in re-opening it. I don't keep the wireless on, so maybe if I did, the book would get zapped in 14 days.

See My Stuff: Here

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe