Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Lace edge

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Grand-moogi Posted - 06/23/2012 : 06:02:32 AM
I don't knit lace very often but this cardigan I am knitting has lace round where you might normally have ribbing.
Only problem is the the cast on seems too tight and the scallops curl. I am currently knitting a lace border to go down each front and round the neck. I tried casting on with needles about 5 sizes larger and it seems to have done the trick.
Is this common for lace?

I knit a hug into every stitch
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Grand-moogi Posted - 06/24/2012 : 10:06:48 PM
Thanks for this info. I am not at all happy with this pattern and have already rung them once to query it. I feel they should have said something about this and warned knitters to use larger needles or a different cast on. They actually have instructions for cast on in the book but it is the usual cast on for most knitted items that gives a firm edge.

I knit a hug into every stitch
socks4all Posted - 06/24/2012 : 08:49:34 AM
Curling is also a common factor in scallops. If the cast on becomes the outer ede of the scallop, that cast on needs to be very loose on ordert to accomodate the roundness of the scallop. In the same vein, if the bind off edge is the outer edge of a scallop, that bind off needs to be very loose as well.
AuntyNin Posted - 06/23/2012 : 11:45:28 AM
With lace, you really do need to use one of the looser cast-on methods, just to make sure the edge is as flexible as the lace itself. Using a larger needle will help with that as well.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe