Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Family / personal / health issues
 After THE STORM in the Mid Atlantic

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eldergirl Posted - 07/05/2012 : 7:03:08 PM
Hi everybody, I am baaaaack, after 4 whole days without power, and with temperatures between 95-102. It was a seige, I got absolutely nothing accomplished, but found I was able to sleep even though my room was 88.5 degrees hot!

There are still folks without power, and it will get hotter before it gets cooler. Very tough on many folks, and we are all thankful for the repair guys who just keep at it, block by block, and some of them have come from other states, to help.

And can I just tell you, too, that the storm itself was just awesome. Such storms have a name: a "derecho".......an intense, long-lived storm with high winds that blow horizintally as in a hurricane. I watched the heart of the storm from my front door, protected by our porch. The lightning/thunder was immediate, no pause between them, I saw a bolt hit a quarter of a mile away. I knew we were in for a real event. I was awestruck, and am glad it is over.

It has been almost a week, and I still don't feel out of the event. Too many people still in trouble.

I hope folks in Colorado are safe, and in other trouble spots.

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dschmidt Posted - 07/08/2012 : 4:22:48 PM
Fortunately our son had power so we relocated to their place until late Monday. We are among the fortunate who got their power back pretty quickly but we had to throw out food and restock. Some still don't have their power.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
anderknit Posted - 07/06/2012 : 3:33:19 PM
We were without power for about 30 hours. We also lost Verizon phone service (land and cell) for about 48 hours. I have to say, I kind of enjoyed being unplugged, until the inside of the house climbed toward 90 degrees, that is. And we did have hot water and could use the (gas) stove, so we weren't completely out of it. It wasn't so much fun having to throw out a lot of food, though. But we were better off than some of my neighbors, who were without power for 5 days. Ugh. (Reporting from Northern Virginia)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
ClimberKnits Posted - 07/06/2012 : 08:54:29 AM
We were without power for about 21 hours here in central Ohio. Many homes were out for much longer, or not at all. Go figure. I think it just depended on the placement of trees in your area, and how many blew over. Out here in the country we have a well for water and with no power we can not pump water. No showers, no drinking water, no flushing. We were bucketing water out of the hottub to flush. The restaraunts in town were swamped with people who couldn't cook and didn't want to open their refrigerators or freezers so they would stay as cold as possible for as long as possible. Lowe's and Home Depot had a run on portable generators. In one case the family left their generator run inside the garage and burned their house down. Many, many stories.
Grand-moogi Posted - 07/06/2012 : 06:59:36 AM
Gees we did not even hear about it here! Hope you are all OK. Freaky!!

I knit a hug into every stitch
jtamsn Posted - 07/06/2012 : 04:43:29 AM
Glad you have had power restored! I hope your home didnt suffer any damage. I know there are many KR friends in that area and I hope they are doing ok. From the pictures on the news, there is still much damage to be taken care of. I, like you, hope the folks in Colorado are safe.

judy

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe