Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Qandahar Glove size question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CAJill Posted - 07/12/2012 : 12:59:58 PM
Has anyone made Sean's Qandahar Gloves by Meredith Knitting? I have a couple of questions about the sizing of the pattern that I was not able to find on her website or on Ravelry.
By my calculation, the circumference of the palm for the men’s size, based on the gauge, is 6.9”. Did anyone find that this was correct? If so, did it achieve the fit for a man's hand by the stretch of the cable pattern on the back of the gloves?
I am not sure what is meant by an “average-sized” men's hand. My husband’s hand circumference measures 8.5”, so I need to have an idea of how much to enlarge the pattern. I would like to start knitting these now, so that they are ready for his Fall fishing trip!

Jill in CA
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CAJill Posted - 07/18/2012 : 5:16:21 PM
Dear Robinsteph,
Thanks for the Wikipedia search. It least it sounds like my husband's hand is "average", rather than "huge". At least it's a start!
Unfortunately, I did try contacting the designer, but didn't ever receive a reply. That's why I hoped someone on the Knitter's Review Forums had made a pair, and could clue me in to the actual size.
Thanks again!

Jill in CA
robinstephanie Posted - 07/13/2012 : 08:47:07 AM
If my boyfriend was awake, I would make him stand still and have his hand measured.

Wikipedia says average male hand is 84mm or 3.3 inches in breadth. Double that and add a couple inches for the sides of the hands gets you a ballpark average of... about 8.5 inches.
Found another site that says 9" avg.
Another site says 8.5"

Not sure if your calculation is correct or not, but your calculated palm circumference does seem a little small, unless, like you said, the pattern will stretch somewhat.
Do you have the pattern designer's email? Usually it's somewhere available on rav or on the pattern. I've had good luck asking the designer questions like these directly. They've always been responsive and happy to help.

Hope this helps somewhat,

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe