Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Movies / Articles / Celebrities / Books / News
 How far will you go to be nice.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
donnawatk Posted - 08/10/2012 : 06:00:50 AM
I took my car to the shop. I was sitting there knitting when a 6 year old little girl walked up and asked what I was doing. I told her and then looked around to see who she was with. She was with her dad. I had the best time taking in all this kid was asking me. Then it came can I try some, I let her knit one row, she didn't do to bad. I took that row down later. What got me was I looked up and her dad was gone. This man left and went to the mall across the street. My heart was on the floor.My car was done and I had to wait hoping the this jerk returned. It was a older lady there who asked do you know them I said NO. She was a little mad and began to ask this kid her phone number. She called home and her Mom answers the phone. This lady tells this woman what her husband did. I sure that he didn't get a warm welcome when he got home. He walked back back in the shop like it was nothing wrong with what he did. I couldn't say what I wanted to say because the baby was there. Donna
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lynne604 Posted - 07/08/2013 : 08:25:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by noallatin

DH's coworker's wife managed a McDonald's in a small Georgia town in the late 90's. The McD's had a giant play area as part of the restaurant. They had to put up signs reminding people that the play area was for customer use. They also to keep an eye out for parents who would drive to the restaurant, drop the kids off, and come back a couple of hours later.

On the other hand, I remember my brother and I wandering the toy section of a grocery/department store combo (much like a Wal-Mart superstore) in the 60ís while my parents grocery shopped unencumbered by children.

My friend who works at the public library said they used to have a problem with parents dropping their kids off for the day, especially during summer vacation. These children -- some of them quite small -- would pull books from shelves, wander all over the place, etc. Finally had to put up signs that all children must be supervised.
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 08/11/2012 : 3:28:09 PM
This guy is a jerk!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Ditzy Girl Posted - 08/11/2012 : 07:08:07 AM
Amazing! I wonder did she get the needles and yarn?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

donnawatk Posted - 08/11/2012 : 04:13:09 AM
I thought after all was over that this must have happen before. When the lady asked for her number she gave it to her. She didn't,t act afraid at all. All while this man was gone she told me about her Moms birthday. They had ice cream. The good thing was when she was leaving she ask her dad for needles and yarn because she wanted to knit something for her mom. Donna

I was told when my kids were little there was no save place to leave your kids not even church. Those are the places were the people that go after kids hang out.
Grand-moogi Posted - 08/11/2012 : 12:50:51 AM
Pretty scary stuff. I have seen people leave kids in toy stores here too. Not in our small country town where everyone knows one another anyway but in cities.

I knit a hug into every stitch
robinstephanie Posted - 08/10/2012 : 10:26:02 PM
That is just shocking, both the abandonment issues and then just assuming that "the woman" will take care of the child while he does whatever he wants, without even a by your leave. Nice parenting. Agreed that the right thing was done when the mother was called. She has a right to know that man is endangering the child.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
hillstreetmama Posted - 08/10/2012 : 8:46:45 PM
People still leave their kids in the toy department at Walmart. The kids pull toys down and play with them. Then the parents come back and tell them it's time to go, so they leave a mess for the staff. DD2 managed the toy department at our Walmart for a couple years, and had all sorts of awful stories to tell.

Jan
Ditzy Girl Posted - 08/10/2012 : 7:34:00 PM
Even if the guy had come up to you and said, I have to
go to the mall how much longer are you going to be. At least you could have told him and then figured out what
to do, but to just walk out is pretty disturbing. How did
the little girl take it?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Milinda Posted - 08/10/2012 : 6:51:12 PM
I wish I could say I am shocked. But you all did the right thing. Were I his wife, he would be VERY sorry for endangering my child that way. That's a mighty big assumption that two women the child didn't know would do right by her. What a total jerk.

M L
jaymeKnits Posted - 08/10/2012 : 4:59:21 PM
I'd call the cops, to put her in that much danger... I'm floored... She could have wandered into the shop, or the out to the street, or been taken by someone...he deserves a good scare from CPS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
noallatin Posted - 08/10/2012 : 12:57:08 PM
DH's coworker's wife managed a McDonald's in a small Georgia town in the late 90's. The McD's had a giant play area as part of the restaurant. They had to put up signs reminding people that the play area was for customer use. They also to keep an eye out for parents who would drive to the restaurant, drop the kids off, and come back a couple of hours later.

On the other hand, I remember my brother and I wandering the toy section of a grocery/department store combo (much like a Wal-Mart superstore) in the 60ís while my parents grocery shopped unencumbered by children.
donnawatk Posted - 08/10/2012 : 09:13:40 AM
Sharon, I think that's what bother me most. I read in the paper about a lady that took a kid for her boy friend. It so much going on now with kids missing and getting hurt I just couldn't leave mine any where. I was telling my boss what happen. She told me a story about her husband that was watching their 4 year old. He was reading the paper and the baby was climbing out a high rise window when she was walking in the room. She made me laugh when she told me she lost her voice every time she saw her husband for almost a week. She then would leave her son with his sister to keep an eye on if she had to leave the room, his sister was 12 years old. Donna
Shalee Posted - 08/10/2012 : 08:16:52 AM
You did the right thing and the older lady did the right thing. I'm wondering if the husband had a cell phone and his wife called him and told him to get his hind end back to the shop. Of course he would come in like all was ok, in that instance. You can bet he won't ever do that again. It is called child abandonment or child abuse. You could have called the police and then he would have had a 1st class reception when he came back! He is darned lucky you didn't!

Years ago I worked 3 jobs, one of which was evenings at Sears. I worked in the cashiers cage which was right next to the toy department. Parents would drop their kids off, in the toy department, while they shopped. Of course it is doubtful that practice continues, in this day and age, but to show such disregard for a child's safety really throws me.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe