Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 Presidential Election

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
agnesgooch Posted - 08/11/2012 : 7:26:59 PM
Maybe everyone is just tired of all the previous crap during the Republican primaries. I'm quite surprised no one has brought up the upcoming election, so I will. Any thoughts about the Republican VP pick?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 09/06/2012 : 5:11:31 PM
In a nation as great as ours, with the history we have, it amazes me that we so often feel we must choose the lesser of two evils in MANY elections, local or national. Why aren't we tearing out our hair trying to decide between the cream of the crop? It should be, "Oh, my, they are BOTH so good with such great ideas that I am having a terrible time deciding."

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Consuelo Posted - 09/06/2012 : 04:17:03 AM
You guys: you MUST vote. Every vote matters. Apathy from the voting public is the downfall of democracy. I know, I know... it doesn't seem to matter but it does. I was born in Cuba. Lived there until I was 11. Political apathy is what made room for dictatorship which lead to poverty and hunger and massive injustice. We are SOOOoooooo lucky to be able to vote, regardless of the outcome. You never know when a single vote will turn an election.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
azblueskies Posted - 08/31/2012 : 07:12:26 AM
And worth every penny (or two), lucybug.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
lucybug Posted - 08/30/2012 : 2:01:55 PM
Just a couple of comments. On the original question about Ryan, I don't have much of an opionion other than he has to be better Sarah Palin. She still hasn't figured out that she should educate herself on current events, geography, etc. At least Ryan seems to be fairly intelligent and knowledegable. When it comes right down to it, the VP doesn't do much but hang out in case the president dies.

Also, I agree with the several statements about voting. You deserve what you get if you don't vote. It's especially important for women to vote -- we haven't had that right for all that long and we need to make our voices hear.

On a related topic I'm reading an article right now about the Republican party and how panicked they were when Obama was elected. Their stated goals were to become the majority in Congress (makes sense) and to block anything and everything Obama tried to get done. Whether or not you agree with Obama (or whomever is president), Congress is elected to do what is best for the country. It's appalling that they would deliberately sabotage any effort to get anything done. No wonder they been so ineffective these last 4 years.

I loved the initiative a couple of years ago when knitters made hats for every member of Congress. There was a great letter to go with the hats that was totally non-partisan and encourageed them to get along. I made them for my 2 senators (got one really nice letter back) and a big idiot in the House from my hometown in another state. He probably needed instructions on how to put a hat on.

Wow -- didn't mean to go on a rant -- just my two cents.
azblueskies Posted - 08/30/2012 : 06:56:59 AM
We got rid of some of the nuts in the Arizona primary. Hope we get rid of some more in the General Election. Gov Brewer even endorsed President Obama! :)

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
flicka Posted - 08/29/2012 : 09:23:05 AM
Grand-moogi, I'm relieved that you didn't take offense at my soapbox posting. I agree, sometimes the choices are not very palatable. I've just been lucky that my principles are (mostly) shared by my elected officials.

Here is a link to an op-ed piece about one of the good guys:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/opinion/keller-the-last-bipartisan.html?hpw

flicka
Grand-moogi Posted - 08/29/2012 : 04:39:36 AM
I assure you I agree with you. I know some excellent politicians. I am sorry, the quote was just a throw away line that some people say when they feel frustrated at the choice they have to make. Remember we cannot choose whether to vote. It is compulsory here and there are times when we do feel frustrated. We have two major parties and a few medium parties. Sometimes they seem much of a muchness. You like one party but it has this flaw so you look at another party and it is fine except for that. You think "What difference does it make? No matter who I vote for, there will be something I do not agree with" Sometimes no matter how good your representative is, the party system and the "big bucks" have more influence than they should and your good representative can "whistle dixie" as far as getting anything major done is concerned.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Milinda Posted - 08/28/2012 : 4:37:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by flicka

originally posted by Grand-moogi:

quote:
NO matter who you vote for, you still get a politician!

Well, yes, I guess if you are running for office you are a politician. I happen to believe that politicians can work for the good, as well as the stereotype that your comment implies. If you think all politicians are venal, etc., why would you vote and urge others to vote?

I feel well-served by most of my representatives (7th District, Washington State). I do not like the partisan mess that the monied interests have supported, but I feel my representatives have done the best they can.

flicka

:: I'm with you on this matter, Flicka. I don't happen to think our representative from Eastern WA is good at all, but we have some good people here in WA, two excellent senators and a wonderful governor who has worked for us. I do not think all politicians are vile.

M L
flicka Posted - 08/27/2012 : 12:05:45 PM

originally posted by Grand-moogi:

quote:

Well, yes, I guess if you are running for office you are a politician. I happen to believe that politicians can work for the good, as well as the stereotype that your comment implies. If you think all politicians are venal, etc., why would you vote and urge others to vote?

I feel well-served by most of my representatives (7th District, Washington State). I do not like the partisan mess that the monied interests have supported, but I feel my representatives have done the best they can.

flicka
Grand-moogi Posted - 08/27/2012 : 06:22:49 AM

Punctuatedknitter Posted - 08/26/2012 : 10:58:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by flicka
And who never suffered any consequences. (Okay, the consequences thing is my pet peeve.)

That is what is getting to me too. No matter how we vote, there were no consequences, the same people are in power, and are using that power to ensure as little in the way of regulations and oversight as possible.

It will happen again and there is no will to prevent it. They have probably already begun the next scheme.
Grand-moogi Posted - 08/26/2012 : 04:50:09 AM
Here is Oz, voting is compulsory. It is considered one of the duties of a citizen to form an opinion and express it in the belief that if we all put our heads together we should get the best result. Of course it does not necessarily work but there we are. We all trot off to every election and vote.
Like you, we are subjected to so much mud slinging that we lose patience.
The government is supposed to be there proposing policies and suggestions of how to run the country and the opposition is supposed to present the opposing policy so a good decision can be reached. Instead they care more about scoring points off one another by calling each other names etc. It makes us angry because while they are wasting time putting their energy into researching mud they are not spending their time and efforts on the job they should be doing. It is a bit like the sexual harrassment in the work place issue. While someone is sexually harrassing another employee, they are not doing the job for which they are paid.
If there was only some way we could get that message through to politicians, then our countries would be run so much better.

flicka Posted - 08/25/2012 : 8:24:27 PM
Originally posted by Punctuatedknitter:
quote:
My pet peeve is the very large number of f---ups in government and business who f---ed up the economy and can't get their acts together to try to fix it.

I don't think you need to apologize. You clearly weren't targeting anyone on KR, just the people who did the f---ing up. And who never suffered any consequences. (Okay, the consequences thing is my pet peeve.)

flicka

P.S. Sorry you had a bad day.

Shalee Posted - 08/25/2012 : 4:13:13 PM
Apology accepted, by me, anyway. It is unfortunate that we have such frustration and feel that there is little we can do to change the situation for the better. Like I said, Vote.

I remember when President Bush was in office and there were things said that disturbed me. Now there are still things being said that are frustrating, but everyone has the right to feel however they feel. Let us not be to vocal in an unappropriate way, but everyone has the right to free speach.

Like most others here I have very strong feelings as to how I feel, but I don't want to be yelled at, so I try to keep the tone down.

Please remember how important your vote is. No matter who wins not all of us will be happy with the outcome, but together we can try to make things easier for those we know who are really having a hard time. I'm ok but know many who are really hurting.

Once the elections are over I feel that the suspense of what will happen will be over. We can then get on with our lives, and thank heavens we won't be subject to any more political ads!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Punctuatedknitter Posted - 08/25/2012 : 10:33:57 AM
I apologize for getting cranky on you all yesterday. I know the KR members are kind and warm-hearted people. Outside this nice corner of the internet, there are lots of people who haven't really been affected by the recession, and don't know, don't care, or blame those who have been. I am frustrated and took it out here.

Sorry!
Punctuatedknitter Posted - 08/24/2012 : 6:25:07 PM
My pet peeve is the very large number of f---ups in government and business who f---ed up the economy and can't get their acts together to try to fix it.

imamshua Posted - 08/24/2012 : 4:50:47 PM
The President is President Obama, not Mr. Obama. Mr. implies he is just another adult male. The pundits and newscasters that talk about Former President Bush NEVER call him Mr. Bush, but IMHO denegrate the President and most certainly the office by calling the current President Mr. Obama. They call Gov. or Fmr Gov. Romney - not Mr. Romney, Former Speaker of the House Gringich, not Mr. Gringich, Representative or Congressman Ryan not Mr. Ryan, Rep. Bachmann, not Mrs. Bachmann and on and on. This has been a pet peeve of mine for sometime.

Sally

If you think you're too small to be effective you have never been in bed with a mosquito - Bette Reese
weavingway Posted - 08/23/2012 : 2:00:51 PM
I agree with Shalee. I recently returned from a trip to Norway and at a dinner someone had to bring up this years election and our tour guide asked a general question about President Obama. I was ashamed as round the table comments popped up like weeds with so little respect for him or the office of President. How can Americans who flew every flag available after 9-11 speak with such disrespect about the highest office in our country. Whether you like him or not, he is President or Mr. Obama.
Milinda Posted - 08/14/2012 : 1:50:34 PM
My thoughts. Well, vote or don't complain to me or I will have nothing to say to you and I will stick my fingers in my ears and with great immaturity, sing, "La la la lalalalalalallaaaa."

Next, I am grateful to live in WA state where we mail in our ballots so other than the ads for the gubernatorial race, we are spared the BS ads.

And finally, I agree. I refer to POTUS as Mr. or President. For that matter, even though I did not agree with him in the least, he was always Mr. Bush and is still such. I will not lower myself to name calling, no matter who it is. I think anyone who knows me in the slightest knows I am for Mr. Obama but that is simply my opinion and not intended to influence anyone.

Vote as if your life depended upon it because it does. Especially women.

M L
agnesgooch Posted - 08/13/2012 : 11:19:39 AM
[quote]Originally posted by robinstephanie

Makes me very, very happy that I didn't buy a new tv set or a converter box when we went digital. My tv works for DVDs and that's it. I already know my political positions and don't need my emotions rattled by months of mud-slinging baloney in order to make up my mind. It's so painful, giving the state the country is in.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

/quote]

I don't watch much tv on an actual television, just whats on-line (still too much tv). I go on Facebook several times a day. I had to hide the newsfeeds of several of my "friends" (actually relatives) because some of the stuff they posted would make my blood boil.
During the republican primary for senator here in Texas I got really tired of the constant ads of Ted Cruz and David Dewhurst slamming each other.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe