Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 LL Solemate yarn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 07/14/2012 : 7:32:17 PM
After reading all the comments about Lorna's Laces Solemate yarn and seeing the high rating given for it, I decided this would make good socks for DH. I am about halfway down the leg on the first sock when I should have been finished with the pair by now (and it's the simplest of patterns, a k4, p2 rib). I'll put it away for awhile and knit something else and then work on the sock for a few rounds and/or until I just can't stand it anymore.

Perhaps it's just me, but I do NOT find this yarn easy to handle. It is crisp and tightly spun, which I know should make for wear-like-iron socks; I am knitting with 2mm needles, about the smallest size I ever use, for the gauge I need, and the appearance is okay. I noticed a lot of sock projects on Ravelry with this size needle. But it just seems terribly difficult to knit. I prefer to knit socks Magic Loop and am now using Addi turbos (my least favorite because of the glare) after trying Addi Natura, both HiyaHiya stainless steel and bamboo, KnitPicks metal and wood, Chiagoo red lace, Dreamz and even my Swallow double points! The turbos seem the best of the lot so I guess I'll just endure the glare.

If any of you have knit with this yarn and can offer me some tips (needles, tension?) to make the going smoother, I'd sure appreciate it. This yarn was not cheap for me, but I'm about ready to frog this project (and I bought enough for TWO pairs of socks). Socks are usually one of my favorite knitting projects, but not with this yarn ... the knitting seems painfully slow.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 09/04/2012 : 08:43:40 AM
Hmmm, well, perhaps I'll give it another try (AFTER holiday knitting deadlines!) with needles a bit bigger than what I was using. I KNOW it will be good on the feet; just doesn't seem to work with my hands right now.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
suecq Posted - 09/03/2012 : 07:29:51 AM
So sorry you did not like the Solemate yarn. I've used it for 3 pair of socks, for myself, and did not experience the problems you did. I did 2 pair on Hiya Hiya #2.5 stainless steel interchangeable 5" sharps and one pair on #2 Knitpicks Harmony DPN. The 3 patterns were Rainyday socks, Tuscany socks and Swan Lace. All 3 made up nicely and the socks are so comfortable to wear. They keep my feet warm without getting sweaty - and in Florida that is important.
ikkivan Posted - 08/26/2012 : 1:20:01 PM
Ah, well, I frogged the half-finished sock and rewound the yarn, because I realized I hated knitting with this stuff and would NEVER finish these socks. I don't like working on something that makes me mumble under my breath the whole time. I'll pick another tried-and-true sock yarn for the replacement pair. Don't know what it is about this yarn, but we do not get along.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe