Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 question about Northern Lights

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 09/04/2012 : 08:38:32 AM
Do the DyakCraft Northern Light interchangeable needles (the aluminum ones) have swivel cords? If that is stated on the web site, I am missing it. I dislike swivel cords because when I slide stitches over the join on the left needle and toward the tip, fine fibers ALWAYS catch in that tiny space needed for the swivel to work ... yes, even on my custom Darn Pretty circular needles, just like the other two brands of swivel circulars I own. I love the needles, just not the swivel part.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 09/09/2012 : 12:43:30 PM
When knitting in the round, I knit almost exclusively Magic-Loop and have never noticed a problem with cables twisting on me (not saying there hasn't been any twisting, just that it is not a problem). But anyway, what I dislike about swivels (I have two other brands in addition to the three Darn Pretty circulars I ordered) is that fine fibers in the yarn catch/snag in that almost imperceptable space that's needed for the swivel to work. It's not something I can necessarily feel myself with my fingers, but my yarn always notices, and it happens on every pair of every brand I have. I do knit with a lot of really fine/luxury yarns, and it upsets me when my cashmere or silk catches on that join.

I did notice a post on a related thread about the Dyak needles that someone else has yarn catching at the join ... don't know if it's this same problem or not, though.

I love everything else about the needles, though (well, except for the 9-month wait).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
suecq Posted - 09/09/2012 : 07:34:03 AM
What is it about the swivel interchangeables that you do not like. The swivel is almost inperceptable. In fact I had to manually check the swivel to convince myself that it did swivel. It does not turn swiftly, but rather just enough to keep the cable from twisting up on you.
ikkivan Posted - 09/05/2012 : 11:57:17 AM
Bummer. Thank you for the info ... I should have picked up on the fact that the cords are interchangeable with the other needle tips. I really wish these were available in FIXED (to me, a fixed circular cannot swivel) circulars, as I really love the look of those needles.

suecq Posted - 09/04/2012 : 11:46:50 AM
Yes all the DyakCraft interchangeable needles have swivel cords and both metal amd wood use the same cords.
Jane Posted - 09/04/2012 : 09:45:17 AM
I think they do, Donna, because they're made to be used with the same cords as all the other needles. I have tips in both wood and metal, and use them with the cords I already have. I haven't encountered snags (I couldn't stand the old Crystal Palace bamboo swivel circulars for that reason), but the smallest size I knit on with my DyakCraft needles is a 3 or 4.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe