Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Venting about unfair fair entries

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 09/11/2012 : 08:41:33 AM
I don't know how many other knitters in rural areas enter their district and county fairs, but I've been doing so for some time now, if for no other reason than to let folks know that SOMEONE still knits! Usually, mine are the only knitted items entered, although there are literally piles and piles of crocheted things.

What bugs me, even though I do understand to some extent, is that knitted items are often put into the same categories with the crocheted items (i.e., crocheted or knitted baby blanket, any other crocheted or knitted item not listed) ... this is because there are so few knitted projects that the justification for a knitted-only class isn't seen. To me, this is sort of like trying to judge between a chocolate cake and a chocolate pie.

Then in the larger county fair, I did see one other knit item (a child's hat) that I'm 99% certain was done on one of those round plastic looms, because so many of those have a certain "look" about them. Not saying there's anything wrong with those, just that IMO they don't belong with "hand" knitted items.

Sigh. Okay, I'm done.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kbshee Posted - 09/11/2012 : 09:01:19 AM
I've entered knit items for the same reason you do. REcently, though, my county fair changed the rules--you used to get a free pass to the fair when you entered (and paid the entry fee), but then that was canceled and it became a bit pricey to enter.

About the hat: it all depends on the regulations of the category/department, I guess. If the rules don't explicitly say "hand knit not on a loom" it would be difficult to keep it out of the contest. And I'm guessing some of those regulations haven't been revisited in a long time!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe