Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Family / personal / health issues
 Cold weather is almost here

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shalee Posted - 09/11/2012 : 6:33:23 PM
In 2010 I turned my heat on, to 58F, on the 30th of October. In 2011 it was October 24th, again to 58F. No one comes to visit me in the winter, ha, ha, ha.

Our night time temperatures are really starting to drop, down into the low 40's some nights. Tonight I'll be putting a blanket on my bed, since the house has finally cooled down and I don't need the ceiling fan to cool off. My next door neighbor cleaned out their garden today, not a vine left! Their tomatos weren't even totally red yet, so I guess they took them in to hang and finish ripening. I noticed day befor yesterday that the vines looked really wilted from the cold.

It's about time to switch the temperature control, in my car, to heat instead of cool. Almost soup weather!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shalee Posted - 09/24/2012 : 8:27:33 PM
I'm getting worried! It is staying cold here and today my house was down to 61*F. We are looking at 10 days of really cold nights and days. My poor bird is even cold! It is time to change his living arrangements to the winter setup I put him into when it gets cold. He's all fluffed up, poor thing. It looks like tomorrow I'll have to move furniture around and set up his winter domicile. I don't know if I'll be able to hold out another month if my house doesn't get any warmer, without turning on the heat to 58*F.

What a weird year this has been. I only used the a/c for maybe 10 days, at the most, this summer. Now this cold, so soon. It was the 16th, when I finally got out of bed, in the middle of the night, and put the electric blanket on my bed and I've needed it every night since!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Consuelo Posted - 09/20/2012 : 04:29:23 AM
Woke up to 40 degrees this morning, 63 in the house - no heat on yet. It's nice to bundle up and I agree that it's easier to warm up than cool off. I've got worsted weight wool socks on and my felted clog slippers, too. As I drink my coffee, I'm wrapped in a simple shawl I made. Toasty, toasty. What's a girl like me (from Cuba) doing enjoying all this wool?? It's one of the mysteries of (my) life!!!!

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Shalee Posted - 09/19/2012 : 7:10:22 PM
I've always joked that I prefer cold weather because it is more fun getting warm than cooling off.

Sharon in NW PA

Grand-moogi Posted - 09/18/2012 : 12:24:49 AM
You wont be jealous of us when we start getting temperatures in the 40s (Celsius) That is over 104 Fahrenheit. It is too hot. The only good thing about it is that it is very easy to get the washing dry. You only have to threaten to peg it out and it dries.

I knit a hug into every stitch
hillstreetmama Posted - 09/16/2012 : 7:23:36 PM
It's getting down into the 40's here at night, but I love it. We set up at the farmer's market Saturday morning, and it was really nippy! I won't be turning on the furnace until it gets down into the 30's, though. I love this time of year!

Jan
Shalee Posted - 09/16/2012 : 09:41:52 AM
It qot quite cold last night, here in NW PA. At 1:45 this morning I finally gave up and got out of bed to put the electric blanket on my bed! Currently, just after noon, it is only 64 both inside and outside my home!

For the past 7 winters I've only used my 100% heavy wool V-neck, Plymouth Outback, pull-over in the winter. I knitted it and love it! I don't have a heavy winter short jacket. Only once, last year, was I cold and that was because of the wind! Now I'm considering using some of my Un-spun Icelandic wool to make an even denser turtle neck sweater or a cut and sew felted jacket for very windy cold days.

Sharon in NW PA

anderknit Posted - 09/16/2012 : 07:56:24 AM
Sharon - I loved that "Snowmaggedon" a few years ago too! I'm from MA originally, and was one of the first in my neighborhood out there clearing the driveway. Then my girls and I settled into the family room with Masterpiece Theatre's Emma (great series!) and our knitting. Last winter was a complete bust though - not even one snowy day. For your son's sake and all the displaced snow-lovers' sake, let's hope for a snowier winter this year.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Shalee Posted - 09/14/2012 : 5:06:47 PM
Anderknit, my DS is in the DC area and very happy that the hot days seem to be over! He loves winter and snow. When you had those bad days of snow a couple of winters ago he was in 7th heaven, out helping stranded motorists and pushing cars!

Sharon in NW PA

Consuelo Posted - 09/14/2012 : 05:06:29 AM
No heat needed yet. It's been cool at night but a good blanket and a toasty dog snuggling seems to be enough. We'll be heading south before we need the furnace running...

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
anderknit Posted - 09/13/2012 : 8:52:05 PM
It has been spectacularly gorgeous this week in the DC area. A slight nip in the air in the early mornings (which I love), and perfectly sunny and warm (not hot) during the day. I can't complain at all, and when I can't complain about the weather, well, you KNOW it's special!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 09/13/2012 : 3:06:05 PM
Me too, PBELKNAP! It's starting to get colder here in Colorado!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
PBELKNAP Posted - 09/13/2012 : 07:52:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Grand-moogi

Well we turned the air conditioner on in the car the other day so it is starting to warm up here.

Oh, that's right! Down under, you're going in the opposite direction towards warm weather! Jealous...

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Grand-moogi Posted - 09/13/2012 : 07:04:42 AM
Well we turned the air conditioner on in the car the other day so it is starting to warm up here.

Sara Sue Posted - 09/13/2012 : 06:34:25 AM
Well I'm still sweating down here in the deep south. But I can tell that cold weather is coming. Lots and lots of hummingbirds are passing thru on their way to the Yucatan peninsular.
donnawatk Posted - 09/13/2012 : 05:20:59 AM
I thought it was me getting sick because I turned the heat on in my car.Donna
PBELKNAP Posted - 09/12/2012 : 05:14:56 AM
I know...we haven't turned our heat on yet, but I've started running the electric heater in the bedroom to warm it up before bedtime and in the mornings. It's almost time to put the electric blanket on the bed, too!

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe