Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Family / personal / health issues
 DD headed to Nepal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hillstreetmama Posted - 09/28/2012 : 05:31:22 AM
My DD2 is leaving today for a month in Nepal, working with Tiny Hands International. When I got on my computer this morning, one of the big stories on MSN is "19 Killed in Fiery Crash in Nepal!" Geez. This mother's heart didn't need that. I want to hear how the skies are safe, and that travel risks are an all-time low.

Those of you who are so inclined - would you keep her in your prayers? She's going over for a month, to see if this is something she wants to do long-term. Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, and Tiny Hands serves orphans and girls rescued from the sex trade. Their goal is to build a school to educate and improve people's lives. DD2 has a teaching degree, and has worked with youth and young adults for most of the last decade. So, maybe this will be a perfect fit....we'll see.

Jan
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 10/03/2012 : 09:25:24 AM
Wow, four years. That is a long time, should she decide to commit. Please keep us posted, I would love to hear more, and I will definitely keep her in my prayers.

With all that flying, the Denise set sounds like a real good idea.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
hillstreetmama Posted - 10/02/2012 : 05:10:24 AM
Robinsteph, this trip is to make sure she wants to make a four year commitment. If she goes for four years, I'll make sure she takes needles and wool with her. The only knitting she took this time was some dishcloth cotton and some of my Denise needles. We thought the Denise were less likely to be taken away at an airport, and dishcloths because no pattern was needed, and they're small. Between knitting and her Kindle, she figured she would get through the long flights.

She posted a pix on facebook, so we know she arrived safely in Nepal. I'll post if I learn more.

Jan
robinstephanie Posted - 10/01/2012 : 06:28:28 AM
On another knitterly note (and totally tangential), our roommate brought over a friend yesterday who had grown up in East Berlin when the wall was still up. Both DB and I had been to East Berlin, he in 1985, and me in 1996, so we had lots to talk about. Among other things that Marcus mentioned was growing up with little knitted and fulled woolen toys as a child, as opposed to the mountain of plastic he discovered when the wall came down. The plastic toys are long gone, but he still has those little knitted toys he grew up with, which were made a generation before he was born.

I wonder if your daughter will knit little chickens and pigs for the Nepalese children?! Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to leave behind her when she comes home? And they would last, and last, and last. Nice if she could teach them to make their own, but a month isn't very long.

Robinsteph

Rwats2 Posted - 09/30/2012 : 11:29:21 AM
Jan,
You both are in my thoughts and prayers for her safe return. I hope that you will keep the board updated. She is doing a huge thing. She is extremely Blessed to want to do that kind of work.

Rebecca + Amelia
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 09/30/2012 : 07:53:15 AM
U got it, hillstreetmama! Your daughter sounds very noble!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
hillstreetmama Posted - 09/30/2012 : 05:39:32 AM
Thanks, ladies. Last I heard, she's in Qatar with a 10 hour layover, and should reach Nepal this evening. I have mixed feelings about this trip. It's a wonderful cause, and if she's being led to do it, I will be supportive. If it turns out to NOT be something she wants to do longterm....well, there's a part of me that will be relieved to hear it. I just want her to do what she feels in her heart is best.

On a knitterly note, a small part of her expenses for this trip were raised by selling little knitted critters and stuff that she made. I put them at my booth at the Farmer's Market, and they were a hit. There are a lot of knitted pumpkins, snowmen, chickens and "pocket pigs" scattered around this town thanks to her.

Jan
robinstephanie Posted - 09/29/2012 : 09:28:57 AM
Wow, Jan, that is exciting and impressive. Your kid must have a big, brave heart. What an incredible adventure.

I recently read Little Princes by Connor Grennan, about his trip to Nepal to work in the Little Princes orphanage. (He eventually finds out most of the children aren't orphans at all, but victims of child trafficking, and starts an organization that reunites the children with their families.)

Whether or not your girl decides to stay, I imagine she's going to have an experience that will change her life. I will keep her in my prayers.
Robinsteph

lucybug Posted - 09/28/2012 : 06:49:56 AM
Wow! Good for her -- even if she comes home after a month, it's an experience that will change her life forever. Don't drive yourself crazy worrying (easy for me to say). You'll find those same stories close to home if you really want to go nuts. But, I'll definitely keep her in my prayers for her to have a safe and rewarding trip.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe