Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Interweave Knitting Lab

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
minh Posted - 04/28/2012 : 7:38:34 PM
There are two events this year, one in Manchester, NH and another one in San Mateo, CA:
http://www.interweaveknittinglab.com/

I just signed up for the Knitter's Weekend Package for the New England event, including a class with our very own Clara on cashmere.

Who else is planning on attending?

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 10/09/2012 : 08:49:07 AM
Marie, thanks so much for the details, I love it! I can see her in my mind's eye saying it and pointing her finger at us! The production editor in me just cringes when you say she types her books on a typewriter (I work for a publisher and basically make books for a living, from copy editing through sending to the printer. I don't know what we'd do with a typeset manuscript these days. Put it in a museum?)

But the human in me thinks is sounds really cool and tactically satisfying, if that's a word. And clearly she's got a way that works for her. And come to think of it, if Barbara Walker handed me a typeset manuscript, I'd be pretty damn happy to make it into a book, no matter what I had to do to get it there.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Marie Posted - 10/08/2012 : 2:52:43 PM
Oops, forgot to asterisk what Barbara Walker REALLY said -- "don't take sh*t from anybody".

Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted. ~John Lennon
Marie Posted - 10/08/2012 : 2:50:37 PM
Barbara Walker held a roomful of knitters in the palm of her hand for 90 minutes, and was thoughtful, charming, down-to-earth, and not without her surprising moments--and quotes.

She lives in Florida and, being a practical woman, does not knit much anymore as she has little need for more than the 45 sweaters she owns. She evidently knit most of her prolific output on Aero (near as I could gather) needles using whatever yarn she happened to come across. She finds wool itchy, but cashmere would be fine. (Wish I could have seen Clara's face at that moment.) Her advice to knitters is this: finish what you start. So simple. Such a challenge.

We learned that she still uses books (not a computer) for the research of her many published books, takes notes longhand on paper, TYPES her manuscripts on a TYPEWRITER (younger KR readers are googling that term right now).

Oh, and her words to live by are: "don't take boink from anybody" (her words, or a close paraphrase. . . I swear). I hope somebody introduces her to Billy Joel someday--he closes every concert with the same advice!

robinstephanie Posted - 10/08/2012 : 06:38:40 AM
How was Barbara Walker!? I am so disappointed she's not speaking at the West Coast Interweave Lab.

I went last year; where Alice Starmore was the Saturday night speaker. She went, oh, 45 minutes or an hour over the speaking time, and nobody noticed as we were all hypnotized by her incredible pictures of her home in Scotland, her wonderful stories, and her beautiful, musical voice. It was really a treat--but I would love to see Barbara Walker, too. From her biographies on line, she seems a most interesting person.

Robinsteph

Marie Posted - 10/08/2012 : 05:39:13 AM
It was nice to see you, even briefly, Minh--somehow I never crossed paths with Clara . . . next time I will be on the lookout for the cashmere class, which I somehow missed in signing up. Still, it was a wonderful, relaxing, informative weekend. Hope you enjoyed it, too.

llmcguire Posted - 10/05/2012 : 8:24:16 PM
Day two at The Knitting Lab, NE was amazing! Can't wait for tomorrow, Barbara Walker speaks!
minh Posted - 10/04/2012 : 7:05:10 PM
Hee, hee -- I just arrived this evening and already bumped into Lisa and Wendy. All three of us are taking Clara's class on Sunday so we are her groupies ;)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
mathiemom Posted - 06/28/2012 : 05:55:02 AM
I'm going, Minh! (Sorry I haven't in around here lately; between my husband's injuries and my own, I've just been distracted.) I signed up for the package, too. I don't remember what I signed up for, but I think I did sign up for Clara's cashmere class. It'll be great to see you there!

Wendy
llmcguire Posted - 05/31/2012 : 05:00:50 AM
I'm in! Phew, just under the wire, too. I'm looking forward to seeing you there as well!
robinstephanie Posted - 04/29/2012 : 12:26:47 PM
I attended last year, and it was a really good time.

As it was a first event it could have been better organized, but Interweave got feedback from attendees and vendors and looks like they're addressing some of the issues this year. I bet you'll have a grand time. Plus YOU get to see Barbara Walker. She was scheduled to speak in San Mateo last year, but had emergency gall bladder surgery instead. Sounds like she's back to fightin' weight.

I may go for a class or two. I'm considering the gloves and the manipulating brioche classes. I took brioche and color brioche from Nancy Marchant last year. She was a nice person, and a really patient teacher. I liked her and those brioche classes a lot. I took Clara's cashmere class, and learned a lot. Also got to meet Clara, which was a treat.

Almost knitting-unrelated, it was fun/ny sitting under an awning in the rain, smoking a cigarette and chatting with Eunny Jang.

Robinsteph

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe