Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Shall I even bother?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Grand-moogi Posted - 05/09/2012 : 04:50:57 AM
Have you ever started knitting something and immediately decided it was yuk? We wanted some tea cosies so I grabbed some wool from stash and cast on. It is ghastly acrylic stuff. Feels like knitting with a chamois. Should I even bother?

I knit a hug into every stitch
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 10/11/2012 : 1:44:17 PM
Grand-Moogi, you are right. The forum comes into my life, and probably all our lives, in so many subtle ways. It's even in the humor in our house now, and my boyfriend knows I'm really excited about something when I threaten to post about it.

KnittingKittens--congratulations on your afghan! Takes guts to walk away from that much of an investment, both time- and money-wise. I bet it felt good.

Ikkivan--I think I remember you posting about how much that sock was bugging you a while back. Congratulations to you too, and nice that you're loving your knitting again!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Grand-moogi Posted - 10/09/2012 : 4:48:05 PM
Robinsteph it is amazing how much we benefit from this forum. I bet there have been benefits we don't even know about. Thanks for telling us about this one.

KnittingKittens Posted - 10/09/2012 : 1:25:50 PM
Life is too short to knit something that is not "working" for you-at least it is IMHO. I once tossed an afghan I had been knitting for years. I started it when I was a new knitter so I could get better tension in my work.

Oh I was so good-I used to take it out and work more squares and then one day the unthinkable happened--I ran out of one of the yarn colors and naturally it was a discontinued yarn!

I put it away thinking I would do something with it. It sat and sat and sat--neglected and completely unloved. One day, I had had enough. I put it into the trash bag and out the door it went. We had had a long and complicated relationship that afghan and I but we both knew this was for the best.
ikkivan Posted - 10/08/2012 : 08:12:53 AM
I finally frogged a half-finished sock and feel such a relief! It's from the LL Solemate (not cheap) about which I had read such great reviews, but I just hated knitting with it; I felt horribly guilty every time I saw that sock looking at me and knowing I should have finished the pair ages ago.

I think there IS something about reading lots of reviews from knitters who just rave about a yarn (or pattern) and then when I find I don't agree, I'm thinking there must be something wrong with ME ...

Now I'll need to find something else to make with this yarn, but in the meantime, I'm LOVING my knitting time again!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
robinstephanie Posted - 10/07/2012 : 10:41:42 AM
That whole "wool" versus "yarn" discrepancy just came in really handy for me. A friend of mine asked me if I would knit her a light scarf out of very light "wool". Something in the way she put it made me wonder, did she really mean wool or did she mean yarn? I queried her on it and turns out she's allergic to wool, and she was really thinking along the lines of cotton! I never would have thought about it without the discussion that came up on this thread, and I would have delivered to her a mighty fine scarf that she could never wear. So, thanks!

Robinsteph

Lynne604 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 5:36:26 PM
Yes, never finish a project you dislike. I frogged a sweater after almost the entire back was completed because I didn't like the yarn. Someone at the yarn shop had made the same sweater with a different yarn -- which I loved, but it was discontinued. I let the owner talk me into a substitute, knowing in my heart I didn't really want it. Once that sweater was frogged and the yarn rewound, I felt so much better. It's still in my stash, waiting.....
Grand-moogi Posted - 06/15/2012 : 8:29:33 PM
My daughter seems to like it. She says she will use it for something.It is a gorgeous colour.

emmyc Posted - 06/14/2012 : 03:55:13 AM
What about knitting a toy/stuffed creature? I have a bag or acrylics for little things like that.

emmyc
winchester ma
Grand-moogi Posted - 06/13/2012 : 04:12:04 AM
My trouble is that I feel guilty about it. I will not throw out yarn (see I have learned to call it yarn when I mean stuff that you knit with) no matter what. I feel I must do something with it. I will not even throw out yarn that my Mum bought a few years before she died and she has been dead 34 years.

lisastitch Posted - 06/11/2012 : 9:21:32 PM
Definitely not! Life is too short to knit with yarn or a project that you don't LOVE! And we change as we go through life--yarns or patterns that we bought earlier in our lives no longer appeal to us, and we don't have to keep them or use them!
KnittingCommuter Posted - 05/31/2012 : 6:16:39 PM
I also won't finish a project that I am not enjoying. I feel just a teensy weensy bit guilty when hundreds are saying on Ravelry that such and such project is a great fun knit...and I find it incredibly ugly and boring. It's even worse when you absolutely HATE the yarn also. I have one of those hidden in the corner right now waiting to be frogged. It's amazing how we all look at things so differently but wonderful at the same time that each and everyone of us is unique.

Ducky's Mom
KrazyKim Posted - 05/31/2012 : 09:50:00 AM
If the yarn and pattern are nice, and your item is already finished, how about over-dyeing it? Easy, and the choices for color are vast!

I'm glad the OP's daughter has rescued the yarn from the bin. There must be a reason that Grand-Moogie was attracted to that yarn in the first place. There's got to be an appropriate project to fit it... or maybe it just needs to be mixed with other yarns, so it's less prominent?

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
geniaknitz Posted - 05/31/2012 : 06:42:00 AM
And if the yarn is fine and the pattern is fine but you hate the color, DON'T knit it!
Ask me how I know
Grand-moogi Posted - 05/29/2012 : 9:32:04 PM
Ah yes! thanks for pointing that out. I am conscious of the sweater/jumper thing and stocking stitch being stockinette and I am sure there are others but I had not really averted to the wool/yarn thing.
Thanks.

ikkivan Posted - 05/29/2012 : 5:15:24 PM
Aha ... now I think that does sound familiar (using "wool" for the word "yarn"). I had forgotten that; thanks for the reminder.

Sometimes I have knit with yarn that I wish had been wool!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
technikat Posted - 05/26/2012 : 5:54:52 PM
ikkivan,
I gather in Britain and some other English speaking countries they say "wool" instead of "yarn" no matter what the fiber content. It's confusing to us Americans.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Grand-moogi Posted - 05/24/2012 : 02:28:47 AM
Didn't read the label. Bought it ages ago to use as a possible trim on something.

ikkivan Posted - 05/20/2012 : 1:50:55 PM
"... so I grabbed some WOOL from stash and cast on. It is ghastly ACRYLIC stuff ..."

Okay, what am I missing here? Was it labeled incorrectly?

robinstephanie Posted - 05/15/2012 : 8:00:22 PM
Agreed. Too much yarn; too little time.

Robinsteph

Relliurad Posted - 05/14/2012 : 9:47:01 PM
Don't throw out all the wool though! I like that stuff, and it's nice and fluffy. It just maybe needs bigger needles and all. But don't worry, I can make something with it. :) (I'm a good daughter!)

Daughter of the infamouse Grand-Moogi

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe