Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 How to do pattern in the round?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JenG Posted - 10/16/2012 : 06:44:39 AM
Hi!

I'm about to start a new pattern, and want to knit it in the round. I'm just a little unsure as to how to adjust the pattern to do that, and was hoping one of the many experts on the boards could help me out! Here's the basic pattern:

Row 1 (WS): *P1, YB, Sl1, YF*; repeat between * * to last 2 sts; P1, YB, Sl1.

Row 2 (RS): *K1, YF, Sl1, YB*; repeat between * * to last 2 sts; K1, YF, Sl1.

I know that the purl stitches would be knit knit stitches, but I'm not sure what to do with the YB (yarn to back) and YF (yarn to front). I'd really love any help! Thank you!!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anderknit Posted - 10/20/2012 : 04:55:19 AM
No, don't cut the yarn at the end of each row! Use 2 dpns, cast on one repeat of your pattern, knit the first row/round. At the end of the row, slide your stitches back to the other end of the dpn, bring your yarn around the back, and just start knitting the next row. It's like icord, but DON'T pull the yarn tightly. Just the opposite - leave it loose!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Grand-moogi Posted - 10/20/2012 : 01:24:21 AM
It is hard to do a test of a pattern in the round because you have to make it so big unless you use dpns. However, you can do a small swatch and see what it would look like if you just do it on two dpns. You have to cut the yarn at the end of each row and rejoin it but that might be easier than knitting a huge circular thing or fiddling with four dpns. Then you have a flat piece that you can easily compare with the swatch you knitted back and forth. You can almost read the pattern from the first swatch.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Ceil Posted - 10/19/2012 : 9:11:04 PM
It seems to me you would simply knit the RS row! BUT, because of the slipped sts, you might consider adding one more stitch for an odd number, so that when rnd 2 starts, the first slipped st will occur over a knit st. I would put the extra stitch on the center back, fwiw, and hope that it doesn't throw off your pattern. But your thought of knitting in the round already says that you can handle the adventure!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
JenG Posted - 10/16/2012 : 6:20:10 PM
I wondered that myself, but thought it seemed too simple. Yes, maybe I'll try knitting a swatch to see, too. It's a scarf pattern, so gauge isn't really an issue.
anderknit Posted - 10/16/2012 : 5:42:21 PM
Wouldn't you just reverse them: yf=yb and vice versa on the odd rows? If not, I'd recommend a swatch knitted flat, and then a swatch in the round to make sure you got the texture/pattern you wanted.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe