Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Gifts Received?
 Gift ideas for the knitter who has everything

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 12/02/2010 : 09:07:25 AM
So this is always a tricky list to make, because in theory it's a list of gifts that knitters might like - but in reality it's really a list of gifts that WE might like to get ourselves. (Or am I the only one who thinks this way?)

Yarn is a tricky proposition because we're each so fussy about textures and colors and yardages. But there are many other things you can get a knitter - and this list is a start.

What would you add to the list?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Grand-moogi Posted - 10/18/2012 : 01:17:39 AM
Hmm Lucy, you could go in just a few days before and make a great show of admiring all the things you like. That would make it easier for the owner to suggest things.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Lynne604 Posted - 10/16/2012 : 7:46:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lucybug

I like the looks of the Folca box. I found a slightly larger compartment box in beading section of Walmart. Also about $5. On another note, I have to brag about my husband. Every Christmas he goes to my LYS and has the owner pick out notions, needles, etc. for me and then adds a gift certificate.

You have an awesome husband! What a nice thing to do.
lucybug Posted - 10/16/2012 : 3:24:14 PM
I like the looks of the Folca box. I found a slightly larger compartment box in beading section of Walmart. Also about $5. On another note, I have to brag about my husband. Every Christmas he goes to my LYS and has the owner pick out notions, needles, etc. for me and then adds a gift certificate.
Lynne604 Posted - 10/16/2012 : 12:02:10 AM
I have in mind a rather unusual gift for the knitter who has everything -- time! Do you know someone who is always bemoaning her out-of-control yarn stash? Offer to organize it for her in whatever way she would like.
lacylaine Posted - 12/14/2010 : 12:14:54 PM
I agree with Nutmeg. I bought some early this year and don't know how I've done without it! I would also wish for another set of Harmony, since I can never find the size I want when I need it.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts! 2010: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom

JillN Posted - 12/11/2010 : 8:23:50 PM
Kristina - what about something from Artbin? Here's one suggestion: Infinite Divider System Box (http://art.artbin.com/small_supply_storage.asp#600) - has 6 fixed compartments, approx. 6.75" X 1.75" X 1.75".
kkknitter Posted - 12/08/2010 : 05:43:03 AM
I would like a "Folca" box but big size for keeping all my small needles. Do you know of such a box? Right now I have everything in a regular big plastic box, but the needles always end up in the wrong order. Compartments would be great.

Kristina

kk
NutmegOwl Posted - 12/07/2010 : 10:52:06 AM
I have learned to try to be prepared for knitting-gift occasions ahead of time, so I keep an eye out for fun little things year 'round, then put together little giftie kits as needed.

One thing not mentioned so far is highlighter tape. It's a wonderful thing whether you knit with charts or not - I find that I use it to mark my place in written instructions, too.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Danemom Posted - 12/06/2010 : 10:51:28 AM
knitting books
gift certificate for audio books
subscription to a knitting magazine
tools: stitch markers, swift, ball winder, software, row counter
jewelry: shawl pin, knitted jewelry, hand-made buttons, other pin (a friend gave me a knitter pin made from all recycled materials -- love it)
Knitting Basket: a gift of fiber producing animals from Heifer Project in the recipient's name
Gift to Women's Lambing Week through Heifer Project
hillstreetmama Posted - 12/05/2010 : 12:42:05 PM
I found a Folca box from an ebay seller that costs less than the Amazon seller. http://cgi.ebay.com/Folca-Compact-Pill-Case-8-compartments-PILL-BOX-TABLET-/250724732367?pt=UK_Collectables_AnimationCharacters_Anime_SM&hash=item3a605bcdcf They only have the orange color, and it ships from Hong Kong, so we'll see how long it takes. I ordered it this morning and they already sent me a notice that it shipped. The last thing I ordered from Hong Kong came in 10 days. Not bad, considering Amazon often takes longer than that.

Jan
minh Posted - 12/05/2010 : 10:52:40 AM
Kjelenfy, I hope you meant spinner rather than spinster -- otherwise, this restricts the source of the handspun ;)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
kjelenfy Posted - 12/05/2010 : 08:32:32 AM
Clara's books & audio books from Knitting out Loud! One skein of FABULOUS homespun from a spinster in your region or state.
BlueStocking Posted - 12/04/2010 : 09:00:25 AM
I can't think of anything to add. Well, except cashmere ;-D. But I just had to pipe in that Lanea's bags are Fabulous (and no, I will not admit how many of them already live at my house ... let's just say there's a whole family).

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

knitree Posted - 12/03/2010 : 10:07:36 PM
I've given Clara's books as holiday gifts to knitters and they are a huge hit. I've also given IK subscriptions in the past.

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
hillstreetmama Posted - 12/03/2010 : 9:17:11 PM
I decided a few years ago to just buy nice things for myself at Christmas - that way I get what I want! Today, my Lace Clicks arrived! I also signed up for 4 months of a "stitch markers of the month" on Etsy. I also got new yellow cables for my Denise needles. I want the Folca Box to store some of my knitterly "stuff", but Amazon's seller charges more for shipping than for the item! I found one place with free shipping, but you have to order a box of 6. I may still do it...keep a few, and GIFT the rest!

Jan
minh Posted - 12/03/2010 : 5:34:30 PM
I didn't know that the Addi lace clicks were with nickel finish, and not brass finish! Rats, they were on sale at a LYS for Black Friday, I should have gotten them...

For those who love Sundara yarns, may I suggest one of her holiday gift bags?
http://www.sundarayarn.com/store/home.php?cat=4138
PBELKNAP Posted - 12/03/2010 : 1:22:22 PM
For stocking stuffers, I can always use more of those little plastic stitch markers and those barrel row counters (both the kind you hang off a circular needle or attach to a straight needle).

WIP = Granny Stipe Afghan (c), Yoke Sweater (k)

Done this year: Sheep-Go-Round Sweater (k), Sweater for Afghans for Afghans (k), Socks (k-2), Ladybug Afghan (c), EZ Set-in Sleeve Sweater (k), Afghans for Afghans Vest (k), Owls Sweater (k), Hooded Duck Blanket(k)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
JLWinPA Posted - 12/02/2010 : 6:16:22 PM
I am also really fond of the bags made by SewBendy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/SewBendy?ref=seller_info) - they are perfect for a sock project!
JillN Posted - 12/02/2010 : 11:20:14 AM
How about a Folca Box to store those little tools in?
madenson Posted - 12/02/2010 : 09:56:53 AM
To the Gift list I would add a selection of small tools, perhaps in a container. I've made some "knitting kits" on occasion for our annual gift swap, or for birthdays. It is surprising to me that so few of the knitters in my group (there are only 6) carry tools regularly when we meet. So the kits I make contain folding scissors, a couple of yarn needles, tape measure, maybe stitch markers--it all depends on what I can find in time. Little fold up containers or zippered purses work well. I have a kit of some kind in each of my knitting bags, probably too many, but very handy to pick up and run.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe