Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Magic loop knitting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Deborahk Posted - 10/22/2012 : 10:43:39 AM
When I knit using the Magic Loop method my knitting is inside out. The public view is on the inside so I have to turn it inside out to see the pattern developing? What am I doing wrong. I am knitting the Mica mittens and the pattern with the beads is on the inside?

Thanks,
Deborah
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Deborahk Posted - 10/24/2012 : 3:23:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NutmegOwl

Deborahk -
If I'm not mistaken, what's happening has to do with the direction that you are folding your needles to make your initial circle and join your loop. If you join it in the opposite direction from the (alleged) norm, which is making you think you are viewing the "non-public" side on the outside from the start. It has to do with the way you turned the work when you started the piece.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com

NutmegOwl Posted - 10/24/2012 : 09:53:22 AM
Deborahk -
If I'm not mistaken, what's happening has to do with the direction that you are folding your needles to make your initial circle and join your loop. If you join it in the opposite direction from the (alleged) norm, which is making you think you are viewing the "non-public" side on the outside from the start. It has to do with the way you turned the work when you started the piece.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
ikkivan Posted - 10/22/2012 : 11:32:10 AM
Deborah, you aren't doing anything "wrong." I LOVE Magic Loop and use it whenever I knit in the round, from the thumb on a mitten to much larger items. I find when the item is in "tube" form (i.e., open on both ends), I can knit it either way (right-side out or wrong-side out) ... just turn it the way you want it. I prefer the inside-out form when doing stranded colorwork, because the outer diameter is larger than the inside diameter and this helps ensure that I keep strands looser, which is what I want.

If knitting a hat from the bottom, when I am ready to begin decreasing, then I make sure I have the hat right-side out, as this is easier for me to watch my pattern and handle the decreases and finishing.

If you have the item wrong side out, you may discover that your needle tips and "working half" of your loop are away from you with the work on the cable toward you. When you have the right side out, you may find yourself working on the half of the stitches closest to you, with the "held" stitches away from you. (Gee, I hope I don't have that backwards!)

Hope this helps a bit.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe