Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Desert Island Stash
 Touching base about the eternal question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 02/29/2012 : 2:02:16 PM
This is a hard one, but I'm interested in your answers. It's the eternal question: What is your favorite yarn, and why?

Every few years I like to come back to this. Believe it or not, the evolution of your answers offers an uncanny snapshot of where the yarn world is - and I'd really love to know.

If you're like me, you may not have an absolute capital-f "favorite." That's ok. Don't think too hard, just share the first yarn that pops into your mind after reading the question.

Thanks!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HenyaK@msn.com Posted - 11/11/2012 : 08:38:42 AM
Zara and Zarina from Fiatura Di Crosso.
But the one I use most is Swish Superwash and DK from Knit Picks.
Lynne604 Posted - 11/07/2012 : 09:10:55 AM
Lion Brand homespun for prayer shawls. Love the colors and it's easy on the wallet.

Plymouth Encore for worsted weight. I recently purhcased a huge bag of orphaned skeins in many colors from the local yarn shop. The owner had saved them for me. I plan to use them for an afghan.
weeza Posted - 11/01/2012 : 07:37:56 AM
Today it's only three--
Maiden Hair by Hand Maiden--delicious on the fingers
A Cormo cross from Foxhill Farm--I haven't found a more prefect worsted weight
and Frangipani--a 5-ply Guernsey because the island may invite a wet run on a whale boat.

Weeza
Consuelo Posted - 09/06/2012 : 04:08:11 AM
Lamb's Pride, hands down. Love the colors, love the yarn, love the story of the company.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Knitpickles Posted - 08/23/2012 : 9:16:51 PM
I love Malabrigo and Plymouth baby alpaca....but I think I'd have to go with the alpaca!
Consuelo Posted - 08/04/2012 : 10:07:25 PM
my absolute favorite yarn is Lamb's Pride by Brown Sheep. The initial infatuation was the colors. Love those colors. Beyond that, I love the sturdiness of it, it's price and it's availability. I even did a pilgrimage to the factory a few years back. I rarely have fewer than 70 of 80 skeins of it.

I love this yarn so much that scraps have to be less than a foot for me to throw it away. I take the smallest pieces and needle felt them together (I got tired of spit joining) and make endless miles of colorful I-cord which later I coil up into projects. Also, I un-twist the small bits and use it as rovings in needle felting . What more can a girl ask for!!

It's just wonderful stuff.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
jaymeKnits Posted - 05/31/2012 : 6:16:09 PM
Super wash BfL for socks. Anything with silk! I'm a bit obsessed lately. Especially neighborhood fiber co. Penthouse silk fingering...yum

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Phillida Posted - 05/31/2012 : 03:45:05 AM
Cascade 220 sportweight, with size 3 (US) needles, and Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. THe Cascade sport weight is good for anything (sock, hats, sweaters, blanket) can be used double-stranded, felts well, and so on. May and wonderful colors, too.
BlueStocking Posted - 03/14/2012 : 10:15:06 AM
My handspun, or one of my yarns which is mostly what I knit with.

My other favorite is Riihivilla http://www.riihivilla.com/kauppa/en/. I love, love, love Leena's colors and her Finnsheep yarns are just fabulously woolly and wonderful.

In any event, no novelty, no really bulky yarns and no really thin, cobwebby lace yarns for me :-D.

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

llmcguire Posted - 03/11/2012 : 08:08:18 AM
I'm in love with all the yarns from Foxfire Fiber and Designs. The Cormo Silk Alpaca is pure L.U.X.U.R.Y. with the sheen of silk, soft touch and warmth; the Flock Sock has amazing squish; the Upland Wool with Alpaca and Upland Wool with Mohair have great durability. All these (and more) are available in a choice of beautiful colors or undyed. I love the CSA approach and having been to Springdelle Farm, love the way the animals are cared for.
I just started playing with BFL. OMG. Why didn't anyone demand that I start earlier? Why?!? BFL is quickly becoming a very close second. If there's anyone who has not worked with BFL, quick, get some and at the very least start swatching; you'll be in love.
mjhealy Posted - 03/06/2012 : 07:04:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by KrazyKim

Noro Anything!

I'm fond of Noro too... Always happy with my finished project. My second vote (if allowed) would go to String Theory Selbu yarn because it comes in beautiful colors, wears well and is soft.

Martha H.
Lanea Posted - 03/06/2012 : 06:48:02 AM
I love Birte, Sunna, Forfire's Cormo sock yarn, String Theory's Casper Sock, and several of the yarns I've used for my woolalong afghan . . . I can't pick just one.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
donnawatk Posted - 03/05/2012 : 09:52:56 AM
I like Cascade 220. I think it because they have the best colors, its soft and most of all it doesn't have a order. Donna
lizkjohnson Posted - 03/05/2012 : 07:03:56 AM
Next to my own handspun, I love Cascade 220 for versatility and practicality, Malabrigo for softness, and Noro for (of course) colors.
hillstreetmama Posted - 03/04/2012 : 7:41:17 PM
I rarely use just one brand - I love Malabrigo, anything with cashmere, Noro Silk Garden...

However, the desert island yarn (as long as it's a cold desert) would be Cascade 220. I like the superwash for washable kids jackets/sweaters, but otherwise plain old 220, in all its glorious colors.

Encore is nice, too, but if I only get ONE, it's the 220.

Jan
needler Posted - 03/03/2012 : 9:00:30 PM
Anything MadelineTosh, after my handspun, of course. :)
knisit Posted - 03/03/2012 : 12:36:52 PM
Right now its Cascades Duo - so soft - but it really depends on what I'm knitting. I love this soft yarn, but I also love a nice springy sock yarn too - Fleece Artist Trail sock comes to mind.
DogCatMom Posted - 03/03/2012 : 12:18:11 AM
Whatever isn't superwash is fine by me!

DCM
podunkians Posted - 03/02/2012 : 12:08:22 PM
My favorite right now is GNY mink/cashmere. I made a lot of Christmas presents with it and there is no other yarn I've knit with that is as soft or as luxurious.
lemonville Posted - 03/02/2012 : 11:50:58 AM
This is a "tough" question. I love yarn, but I guess one of my absolute favorites is Cascade 220. I find it to be extremely versatile with great stitch definition. And, a big plus in the Northeast .. it's warm and cozy!!

JBouchard

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe